HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Equipment for charging 4 1 cell LIPOs in parallel

I have been reading through these threads for several hours and honestly I am more confused than when I started.

Here is what I would like to accomplish. I want to be able to charge up to 4 single cell lipo batteries at the same time. However, I would like to do this in a way that will not overcharge the batteries if I leave them on the charger too long since I seem to do this too often.

What I think I may have learned from my reading thus far is that I will need a charger, an AC adapter and some type of harness to charge the batteries in parallel.

I have seen several threads recommending this charger but I am not really sure if it is a fit for my needs. I have no idea what kind of harness would be needed to charge 4 lipos or where I would get it.

I am on a budget but would be willing to spend a more to get something that works well and will last.

Any advice is appreciated.
dalto is offline Find More Posts by dalto
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:08 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,893 Posts
Any good quality lipoly charger will be capable of accomplishing your goal.

A nice selection of parallel charging adapters can be found here: http://www.progressiverc.com/adapter.../charge-cables

Provide more details on your specific batteries, connectors, and desired charge times to get a good recommendation on the ideal charging setup for your needs.

Welcome to RCGroups!

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Thanks!

The specific batteries are a mix of 110mAh 3.7V lipos and 150mAh 3.7V lipos used in my Blade micro helicopters.

Specifically, these and these.

As for charging time, under 30 minutes would be best but I would not want to damage the batteries.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,893 Posts
Ok, here's the harness that you'll need to charge multiple packs in parallel at the same time:

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...rge-cable.html

To charge in ~30 minutes, simply add capacities of all packs and then multiply by 2 to get a 2C charge rate.

If you have four 150mAh packs...

4 x 150 x 2 = 1200mA or 1.2 amps charge rate.

Just remember to leave packs discharged after flying and only charge them immediately prior to use. Lipolys do not like to be left fully charged as this damages them and will have you replacing them sooner than you would like.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Thanks! That is really helpful.

Is there any limit on how fast you can charge the batteries? If I had 2.4 amps could I safely charge them in 15 minutes?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:32 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,893 Posts
Maximum charge rate is highly dependent on the specific cells. Also, there is diminishing returns when charging at a higher rate due to cell internal resistance and connector losses in small single cell packs.

I personally rarely charge faster than 3C rate as this is very safe for my particular packs and yields a very short charge time.

Charge times can be significantly reduced by storing packs at ~1/2 charge state. This can be accomplished by charging at 'storage' setting after returning from flying. This will bring cells to ~3.8-3.9 volts. The remaining 1/2 can be charged in 15-20 minutes by charging at a safe 2-3C charge rate.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:19 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
A better charger than you referenced would be this:
http://www.progressiverc.com/icharger-106b.html
The higher wattage will allow you to progress to larger batteries. Also Progressive RC will provide better service than Hobby King.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,899 Posts
Dalto see that I Charger 106b he just recomended,well go buy it and never look back.Merry Xmas
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
So, I would need something to convert the AC power to DC to go along with that?

If so, could you recommend something?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:36 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
So, I would need something to convert the AC power to DC to go along with that?

If so, could you recommend something?
Yes you would need a power supply.

mrforsyth offers an excellent choice in either 12V or 24V.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563369

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1