Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Monterrey, Mexico
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
XYZ 53cc Twin

Has anyone of you tried this engine? I'm planing on buying an Aeroworks Ultimate 50cc and I saw this engine in hobby king. It is a lot cheaper than the DA-50 and DLE, and also this one is twin so it has less vibration. Is it a good engine?
ernestomatt is offline Find More Posts by ernestomatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
Riverside Calif.
Joined Apr 2008
105 Posts
If you are considering an engine from China, find out if it has a front main seal, or at least
a mechanical labyrinth seal incorporated in to the engine case.

An engine that incorporates only a sealed bearing, and are carbureted by a Walbro, can
cause starting and tuning problems as the engine's hours increase. Some Chinese engines
are sold with only sealed bearings, and start to leak during break-in. The same is true for any
engine, no matter where it was manufactured.

Read the warranty carefully, If there is a warranty, they must replace failed parts with new
parts by U.S law. Companies that manufacture engines may have a warranty, But the seller
may not offer it. These companies sell the engine without a warranty to avoid servicing
customers problems after their purchase. If the seller is not willing to service the engine,
Do not buy it.

Other dealers that sell the same engine, and honor the manufactures warranty, May not want
to help you.

Bill M.
Capt. Quirk is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Quirk
Last edited by Capt. Quirk; Aug 19, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,493 Posts
I bought one of the engines a while back, but I haven't done anything with it yet, except open up the box and check it out. I did oil it up some as it felt sort of dry. So you want to oil it up good before you try running it. I bought mine from the Hobby King USA warehouse when they had them in stock at the time.

Some others have been using the engines and they haven't been reporting problems with it. Here is the thread about it: http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=55964
Their improvement is to replace the OEM piston rings with rings made by Frank Bowman, which can result in upwards of 500 RPMs improvement versus using the stock rings.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,232 Posts
The only way I would buy an engine from Hobbyking is with the full knowledge there will be no customer service and the closest thing to a warranty will be a call to the credit card company. I would also want to check into parts availability state side. If there are none - I would not buy that engine.
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Mar 2009
22 Posts
XYZ 53 cc twin

My son bought this engine and has flow it on a Giant Big Stik. The first 4 or 5 flights were very good. The next time out it was hard to start and once started it would sputter and skip and finally quit. We found several things that were causing the issue. We had routed the spark plugs wire too close to the exhaust and they eventually laid against them. It melted the plastic wrap and we think possibly caused a short in the wire. One cylinder quit firing completely. We also found that the spark plugs that came with the engine were easy to foul. We change the module to RXCEL Ignition, protected the plug wires with thick wall 3/8" OD silicone tube, and changed the plus to Iridium CM6 plugs. Since then it has run great.

Also with respect to Hobbyking support. I have had some issues in the past that were hard to resolve, but I had a new ASP 400 Radial that broke a crankpin and they replaced the engine promptly. So far it is OK.
soco32 is offline Find More Posts by soco32
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:22 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,456 Posts
Saw one of these at a big bird event a few years back. It never flew, spent all its time trying to adjust the carb.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:41 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Saw one of these at a big bird event a few years back. It never flew, spent all its time trying to adjust the carb.
Edwin
I see that almost everytime I go to the flying field, with just about every engine brand known. Someone seems to always have a big plane that won't run right. Heck I did it to myself a couple of weekends ago too. I had replaced a engine in a plane and for some idiotic unknown reason I hooked up the fuel line and primer bulb backwards. The engines just do not run right like that either.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,456 Posts
Earl,
I got a good chuckle out of that one. At last years warbird, a buddy was having all kinds of problems with his G-62 powered TF P-47. I walked up and was just looking at it while he was flipping and just happened to see it. I stopped him and just pointed to his fuel line going to an external crankcase vent. He swapped the crankcase vent and carb fuel lines. Just got in a hurry. It happens to the best of us.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Apr 2005
27 Posts
Just back from the patch where I put 5x10 minute flights into one of these in a Piper Pawnee. I'm running a 20x10 beila three blade which I think is too much prop as it doesnt seem to rev too high, but power is not an issue in the Pawnee and there seem to be no overheating issues.

1st start required a starter to get it to run but 2 mins after first start she was airbourne, I do my brake ins in the air where god intended, seen too many cooked on the bench.

Since then it has easily hand started, 10x10 min flights thus far.

I also had flight with a DL-50 (4 years old still on original plug) and a 3W 50i (7 years old, still on original plug) and all were fine.

Simple rules for petrol engines... good quality oil mixed with super unleaded and filtered, proper cooling, always break in in the air, good quality charged ignition packs, proper plug gap and allow to warm for a minute or so on idle before revving balls off then away you go

CM
biofag is offline Find More Posts by biofag