HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2003, 03:48 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Cool
Super Stearman - 4 ailerons

Well i just had to do it. The stock 2 aileron setup was very scale flying, but i just had to go for a crazy roll rate. I just cut out the top ailerons to match the bottom (you can go and do the scale smaller top ailerons also) and connected them with the little 1/2" straight pieces with the hole in the end from the clear plastic parts bag (never could figure out what they are for) (you need 4) and left over control wire.

Also the Beaver cowl is a perfect match to fit over the motor. I have one ordered and will post pictures when I get it. Now I just have to make wheel pants.

It is powered with a Razor 400 and GWS "C" 5.22:1 gear and APC 10X7 prop. It has almost unlimited vertical. ALso great inverted handling with almost no down elevator required. Knife edge is excellent and with the 4 ailerons - it ought to fly like a biplane Formosa.

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2003, 03:49 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Another view
Old Nov 07, 2003, 03:50 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Think I have enough aileron throw?
Old Nov 08, 2003, 11:03 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Very soon, we sahll see some one modify PT-17 to be 3D.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Nov 08, 2003, 01:28 PM
isle of man
Joined Aug 2003
169 Posts
beware

i read somewhere in this section that someone bunted on of these puppy's and the top wing collapsed the struts and stopped on top of the fuz. i hope you have wooden or carbon struts to prevent such problems? negative G where it's not supposed to be can only end in binbags
locoworks is offline Find More Posts by locoworks
Old Nov 08, 2003, 03:05 PM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
splash had a video of his '17 doing a fast outside loop and collapsed the cabanes. Perhaps a good peice of clear plastic on top of the fuse to help hold the wings tighter, and kevlar flying wires? Should keep it all together with a brushless and those 4 ailerons!

I too wondered about a cowling, since I'd love to do a replica of the stearman one of my 'ol tow pilots flies (I used to fly 1:1 gliders). Would be very cool
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish