Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
533 Posts
Discussion
lipo flight pack?

is it possible to use a 7.4v lipo fligh tpack with my hitec recivers? would i need anythign inbetween the batery and the RX?

i am talking about powering the servos and RX with this batt.

thanks
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,138 Posts
I don't know what the max. voltage is for the Hitech RX, you would have to look up the spec. but IIRC some other brands are good up to about 9v.

Most servos are rated for 6v nominal voltage, 6v batteries are higher than that when fully charged but that Lipo would be about 8.4v fully charged, too much for normal servos, but there are servos rated for the Lipo voltage.

So unless you have high voltage servos you would need a voltage regulator between the battery and electronics. Something like this.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ly_6_23v_.html
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:11 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,159 Posts
I would use a voltage regulator....Servos except the high voltgae type are rated at 4.8V to 6.0V.
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:18 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
I would use a voltage regulator....Servos except the high voltgae type are rated at 4.8V to 6.0V.
Ditto.....
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:26 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,228 Posts
Ditto all of the above.

I use lipos in all my fuel planes. I use Castle 10A BEC's as the regulator.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:51 AM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
533 Posts
i looked at going the Castle way, but it meant $25 for the 10a bec, $25 for the Castle link, and then the batery.

in the end for this plane at least, (twist 40) i just threw a 1800mAh LiFe 6.6v battery in there. seems to be working great.

i will probably go the lipo way in the future in larger planes.
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:43 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
I use 3cell lipos in case one quits I still have more than enough volts at 7.4-ish I get my regulators from guy in our club who sells them for 15. default is 5 v with a switch to bump up to 6 v. No frills and work great for a couple years now. Very much worth it when you compare the price of the regulator and 1300 mah battery say 22 bucks compared to a single 4.8v NIMH of comparable mah. Add in easy charging, not having to charge the day before, light weight, etc. I"m never going back.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:33 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
...Add in easy charging, not having to charge the day before, light weight, etc. I"m never going back.
But LiPos don't like to be stored fully charged, so surely you should discharge them down to storage level after your flights, and then charge them back up when you want to fly They also need to be supervised whilst charging.

Personally, I find nothing simpler than a 4-cell or 5-cell NiMh pack, overnight slow-charged before each flying session
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:46 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
When you use a regulator are you in fact "burning off" some of the energy in the pack, and sacrificing some of the weight advantage of the Lipos. Just curious.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
When you use a regulator are you in fact "burning off" some of the energy in the pack, and sacrificing some of the weight advantage of the Lipos. Just curious.
If it's a linear BEC, yes you are converting the excess voltage into heat; but if it's a switching BEC, that's not the case. But no electronic devices are 100% efficient, so you are certainly sacrificing some of the theoretical extra watt-hours.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Dec 2004
118 Posts
Surel adding a lipo + bec is going to make the setup less reliable? More potential points of failure ( connections, BEC robustness ) ...
djgorman23 is online now Find More Posts by djgorman23
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I've used tiny lipos on half-A nitro planes, using a 10A ESC (obviously, with no electric motor). It was to power the 9 gram servos only, with a way to protect the 250 mah lipos from being drained too much (ESC would shut down before this happens, just like flying electric motors do). I make sure to change out the lipo each flight or two.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Not saying you have to agree with the lipo / regulator idea just saying what I switched too.

I'm not concerned about the extra one + ounce of my regulator on a 40 or 60 size glow plane. I dont store them charged. In fact i charge up before I leave in the morning or the night before and leave them where they are when I'm done which is about where the storage volts should be anyway.

I don;t use a switch connecing / disconnecting battery from the reg itself., so there are no add;l connections, In fact I prefer that to the switch and am thinking about going to the arming type connection I have seen advertised.
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,438 Posts
If you leave them where they are, still connected to the regulator, they will eventually discharge completely. Disconnection when not in use is a must.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:14 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,159 Posts
You don't need to disconnect if you wire the circuit like this battery, switch, voltage reg, then load( the rest of the plane). The switch can handle the higher voltage, better than the rest of the circuit does. But aben is correct if you place the regulator between the battery and the switch.
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05