Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:03 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Discussion
EZ Hawk ESC/Motor acting very strange

Hi folks,

I'm brand new to the forum and already have found some very useful pointers and advice, so thank you.

I own a EZ Hawk. With a 3ch 2.4Ghz Radio. The plane came RTF with everything included.

I found the plane easy(ish) to master and with a little practice I have gotten more confident with it.

However, today I experienced an issue with my plane that I have not seen before and cannot seem to find an answer or resolution.

When coming in to land I had a sudden loss of motor power. I initially thought the battery had died but I had'nt been flying long enough for the battery to go flat.

Thankfully I managed to flare and land without power. I looked at the aircraft on the ground and saw that when I applied the throttle the motor began a kind of 'ticking' motion. It rotated slowly. I can only describe it as like the second hand on a clock face. Short sharp movements for a few seconds before it stopped altogether. Ailerons and elevator servo's perform as normal.

I tried another battery, fully charged, and it did the same. A ticking motion. Slow start and stop spin. I turned everything off and tried again and still the same.

However, this evening at home the motor started working again. Then did the tick tock. Then started working again.

I have unscrewed the motor and pushed the wires together and checked all the connections. I cannot find anything obvious.

Could the motor be on its way out or maybe the ESC needs resetting or something?

I have had the plane for a couple of months. Had hassle free fun flying with no electronical problems until now.

Not sure why it would happen all of a sudden.

Any advice or pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Eddie
EddGee is offline Find More Posts by EddGee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:17 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddGee View Post

Not sure why it would happen all of a sudden.
Ah, that's the joy of electrical problems. LOL. This stuff does go bad, and your sense that it's the ESC is very reasonable.

Check all wiring connections. Re-bind TX with RX. Reset ESC and/or check settings - not hard to do but you need the instructions for your ESC, you can't guess with this.

My final test would be to replace the ESC with a higher capacity unit than it came with. If it came with a 20, replace with a 30, or at least a 25.

Good luck
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,190 Posts
HS is not known for it's 'robust' electrics. A motor that won't run at and jerks back and forth likely has a bad connection > bad solder joint, broken wire, bad insulation.

If it runs but is weird, I'd check all connections first, including resoldering bullets. If that doesn't work replace the ESC. If THAT doesn't work then you need a motor.

Sometimes the best way to figure out these problems is to have spare parts you know are good.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Also another thing I meant to ask was in relation to the transmitter that came supplied with the plane.

Can I reuse the Tx with another aircraft? Will it be straightforward to bind? It's a Dynam 2.4ghz transmitter
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,190 Posts
All 2.4GHz systems are proprietary.
You will need THE RX specifically designed for THAT TX. You cannot use other system RX.
You can gut the HS and move the one you have or find a new one, which may be easy or a real headache.
Most of the TX/RX systems coming on planes like the HS are pretty basic. Parts can be difficult.

Located one here:
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...os-p-1208.html
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Last edited by flydiver; Mar 01, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:58 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Yeah, what flydiver said.

Eddie, when you're ready for a second plane, that is the time to seriously consider going with mainstream radio gear such as Spektrum, Futaba, JR, Hitec, etc. A lot of guys have purchased the Turnigy/FlySky gear, which looks to be a good value.

The two main players, Spektrum and Futaba is where most end up. Lots of reasons for selecting one or the other. It can even boil down to simply how the transmitter feels in your hands. The choices are dizzying.

Once you choose a radio platform, then you begin to buy planes that allow you to make the most of your choice. You no longer buy RTF, you're now choosing BNF, PNP, ARF, or whatever the acronym the company puts on it, or bare kits.

When you are ready to commit to a radio system, make sure you buy at least a computer radio, one that supports multiple models in its memory. For example, with Spektrum, you don't want to purchase a DX5e, you want the DX6i or higher.

Lots to learn!
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Some good advice there guys. Thank you.

I should of mentioned that this is actually my second plane.

My first one is a HobbyZone champ, which I am very fond of.

I fancy the Parkzone P51 next but that's also a RTF package.

If I'm not careful I'll end up with as many transmitters as planes!

My friend at work is big into the hobby and been a great help during the teething phase.

He owns a very tasty FunJet which I'd love to own but that might have to wait until I'm proper skilled!
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:07 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddGee View Post

I fancy the Parkzone P51 next but that's also a RTF package.

If I'm not careful I'll end up with as many transmitters as planes!
LOL. The P51, the UM or the belly lander? I think both can be had in RTF and BNF. If the ultra micro P51, the Champ's TX should work with it. Heck, a DX6i will run all the stuff from Parkzone. I have a DX6i but we also use Futaba here for some models.

I've flown a lot of the Parkzone ultra micros and the T-28 is the cat's meow. I'm getting rid of the others I have.

If you're thinking about the P51 belly lander, that might be the time to get a DX6i and buy the BNF version. That is a nice plane. I have the Wildcat BL and love it, a great flyer - not for a beginner. Of all their offerings, the Wildcat PNP is a steal at $120...
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
The P51, the UM or the belly lander?..
The big un!

Is that the belly lander?

Don't fancy the Micro. I'm getting into the bigger stuff.

There are a couple of dealers here in England that do the P51 at a great price!
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:47 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Yes, the bigger one is the belly lander. I love warbirds and will add a P51 eventually. Need a Spitfire, too. My father had 2,000 hours in a Mark V in the RAF just after WW2. He was Polish underground and ended up in England just after the war. He loved his Spitfire!

If you ever get the chance to test fly the Parkzone Wildcat, do it. Wonderful!