Old May 14, 2016, 11:50 PM
Find More Posts by Knifester
Joined May 2016
13 Posts
Discussion
Stupid questions from an Old-timer/Newbie

Okay, I've been catching up from wonderful documents provided by PRNDL and cmdl. Thanks guys!

These questions are probably going to be stupid, but you have to remember most of my knowledge is from at least 10 years ago, so if it's not doable or dumb please let me know. I was wet fuel of course, usually .040.

I've been reading up on the new electrics, and a few questions came to mind that they were playing with back in the day that I see no mention of.

Did they ever come up with anything as far as the vectored fanjets went? is there an electric equivalent? Several guys back then were messing with the .040 fanjets and were vectoring the exhaust similar to what a real jet was using on the nozzle assemblies. They weren't nearly as complex, but they were aimable. The guys I knew were tying them into the elevons.

I was thinking electrics with differential could use something like this for windier days. Simple gimbal on the motors to make the thrust aimable for A powered dive instead of just hoping glide path would save you.

I actually saw one that is being made now as a child's toy called an air-hog jump-jet I think? It's just a convertible design from heli to plane, but could it be done? Inquiring minds would like to know. It is thrust vectoring just done at a very basic level.

Would 4 motor differential be possible? Thrust over and under the CG would give you a better attitude control wouldn't it? Not as a pull, but as a pusher preferably a small distance behind CG. Would I be running into stability issues? Just a thought that rambled around in my head.

I will warn you, I never really built anything resembling a real plane except that NASA forward swept design years ago. That was unstable but would turn like a hummingbird! Most of my stuff would have fit into sci-fi movies.

If I am way off, Just remember, my experience started in the mid-80s and ended about 2000. That and I have no formal aero experience. Mechanical yes, but no aero.

Thanks for reading folks!
Knifester is offline Find More Posts by Knifester
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2016, 12:15 AM
Find More Posts by cmdl
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
13,274 Posts
VTOL has its separate subforum (yep, the delegation and bureaucracy never end): http://www.rcgroups.com/vtols-360/ - I know nothing in this area.
Since you're asking in electric flight, all you really need to know is that 40-50 watts/lbs gets you airborne: http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...equirement.pdf
How you want to fly beyond that is up to you.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old May 15, 2016, 03:13 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
12,358 Posts
Almost anything is possible but these aren't exactly beginner-training level questions When you need consistent controllable power electrics make life a little easier. That's about all.

A lot of the odd configuration models turn up in the Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forum. I've seen several attempts at vectored thrust jets over there but I can't recall a particularly successful one. Good luck with your eccentric designs, but as I'm sure you realise, you're going to be pretty much on your own.

BTW if you need a powered dive I've always found applying a little elevator works perfectly well .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old May 15, 2016, 03:41 AM
Joined May 2016
13 Posts
Well, it never hurts to ask. lol Yeah, I've always been more experimenter than actual pilot. As far as the power-dive, I am fascinated by differential electric steering. And being an engineer for the last 20-something years, I always have to push limits. It keeps my bosses guessing on what crazy idea That Lunatic in the office down the hall will come up with next. I sometimes think they keep me around just for laughs. My wife thinks I am a mad genius minus the genius part. I think the radio-controlled snowplow is what convinced her.
Old May 15, 2016, 05:09 AM
Find More Posts by Grup
Spain, Comunidad Valenciana, València
Joined Jan 2004
1,384 Posts
Radio controlled snow plow makes perfect sense. Add a timer to it so that it clears the driveway 15 minutes before departure to work and you've got a keeper.

There's a lot of variables with RC flying, unusual control techniques is a big one. To combine that with beginner flying skills would introduce what I call a "low probability of success".

Awhile back, an experimenter/beginner built a working swing wing airplane, and brought it to the field. He had the most experienced pilot there do the maiden, and the plane flew quite well. If he had maidened it himself, and crashed it due to beginner problems, he would not have found out that he had actually built a successful plane.

Regards
Grup is offline Find More Posts by Grup
Old May 15, 2016, 07:23 AM
Joined May 2016
13 Posts
I have built several and managed to fly them 15-20 years ago. I've got the keeper of the holy archive (my wife) on a mission to see if any of my old photos survived our fire years back. If she finds any, I will post some of the stuff I built back then. My favorite was a somewhat scaled model of the Grumman X-29. I even used the canard as my control surfaces. It was ungodly hard to get off the ground, but it was amazing on how tight it would handle. It was also impossible to fly in any kind of breeze whatsoever. Now that the last kid is out of college and gone, I actually have money and time to enjoy my hobby again.
Old May 16, 2016, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
3,519 Posts
If it weren't for the tinkerer, many of today's normalities would not exist. Folks who look at something and say I can make it better, or when told it can't be done, go out and do it.

Like those two guys at the bicycle shop who proved manned flight was possible.

The biggest problem today would be weight and complexity. Both easily overcome when you put your mind to it.

One of my flying buds built an inflight adjustable EDF nozzle for his Multiplex Twister, just to see if it could be done. It worked, and was simplicity in action. A take off of a rope lasso controlled by a pair of servos. Activated, the servos pulled the lasso around the tulips of the nozzle together to form a smaller exit. Deactivated, the servos released tension on the lasso and the force of the exhaust blew the nozzle back open to it's original position.

Or another who way back when (nicad days) designed what he called a Waterfall charger.
A way to charge multiple packs at the same time. System would charge the first pack, automatically jump to the next one in line while still maintaining a trickle charge on the first one.
And so on and so on.

Two things beyond the norm, built by folks who looked past that.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl