Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by ForestQuad
Joined Mar 2016
62 Posts
Discussion
Low cost 250 build - is this series still relevant?

Would you do anything differently a year on, or recommend a different build?

I'm not even exactly sure what size to go for, but 250 seems most popular.

Low cost miniquad racing drone build video PART 1 (18 min 55 sec)
ForestQuad is offline Find More Posts by ForestQuad
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by Phantom604
The Ground is the Limit
Joined Oct 2013
1,867 Posts
For structured community events, you will need to go with what that group uses. If you are flying yourself or an open class, you will want to go with commoditized prices and not be caught up with random runs of custom motor winds/lipos that cost a premium to replace and won't be supported once the next round of gear gets marketed.

Small motors, higher kv, more RPM is a tonne of wear and tear on bearings. I find 22xx motors and replacement bearings to be more common. Small lipos call for better quality cells for the amp pulls and that is also more $$$.

Being in the hobby for short time, I find that lipo's is the biggest cost factor. If I were to approach fun flying as a hobby, I would almost base my build on a fairly priced and well supplied LIPO. 1800-2200 3S is common in RC trucks, RC Planes, and multirotors. Its what the Phantom 1 started out with. This size pack will do well for 250mm 2204 set ups.

I would go very small for pure FPV 130-150.

If you want to have HD footage to share. I would go 180-210mm.

250mm is a bit pudgy but not much difference in flying compared to 180+ in open fields. More space is nice to work on and is more flexible to random components. There's bound to be HD video links, 1 axis gimbals, new cameras coming out. on the 180 and small crafts, they are very custom to a certain setup vs a 200mm+ setup, you are free to pop in whatever electronics you have.
Phantom604 is offline Find More Posts by Phantom604
Old Apr 18, 2016, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by ForestQuad
Joined Mar 2016
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom604 View Post
I would go very small for pure FPV 130-150.

If you want to have HD footage to share. I would go 180-210mm.

250mm is a bit pudgy but not much difference in flying compared to 180+ in open fields. More space is nice to work on and is more flexible to random components. There's bound to be HD video links, 1 axis gimbals, new cameras coming out. on the 180 and small crafts, they are very custom to a certain setup vs a 200mm+ setup, you are free to pop in whatever electronics you have.
I'll probably do that 250 build, then afterward I'd be able to plan properly for an uber smaller quad.
ForestQuad is offline Find More Posts by ForestQuad