HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:12 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Build Log
Dumas Waco YMF-5

Hi all, I'm on break from college for a month so I thought I'd try and squeeze in some building time. I've just started the Waco and will try and post updates whenever possible.

Eric
EricClark is online now Find More Posts by EricClark
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2008, 08:03 AM
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Jun 2002
1,193 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your progress. There have been a few threads on this on over in the scale forum. It is a beautiful bird and has a real presence in the air. The only real tricky part that I had was setting up the wing with the struts and stuff. Got it eventually and once I noodled out the CG it flew great, still does just not as regularly as I would like!!!
bosley is online now Find More Posts by bosley
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:53 AM
L.I. NY
Joined Dec 2006
243 Posts
Bosely thats BEAUTIFUL!!! Talk about raising the bar. Good luck Eric.
fly20 is online now Find More Posts by fly20
Old Dec 22, 2008, 03:27 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Indeed it is! Mind telling me what your power system is and how well it works for you?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:28 PM
Joined Jun 2002
1,193 Posts
Thanks fellas.

I used a fiegoa 12mm burshless in the Balsa Products metal gearbox, a 9x7 slow flyer prop, and a 3s 800 mah lipo from Common Sense RC.

The motor is the 436L and I believe it is the C ratio for the gearbox.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V672768

I will go look for the link that lists the specifics as far as weight and stuff. It is a great flying plane and a real head turner with the big round fuse and classic lines!!!

Jeff
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:52 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Bosley:
WOW!!! thats is a beautifull bird!
how difficult was she to build? would it take ailerions do you think?

THX, YB
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:45 PM
Joined Jun 2002
1,193 Posts
Thanks. It wasn't too hard, as long as you take it slow. Pat Tritle (the designer) hangs out in the scale forum here and will readily answer any questions that come up.

As far as ailerons go, I am sure it will handle them nicely. They would have to be added in on your own though as there is no provision for them in the. Easy enough but just to prepare you!!!

Jeff
Old Dec 23, 2008, 01:47 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Wow, 12mm! I am using a 20mm brushless motor and I thought I was going small. Hehe. Anyway, I am thinking about adding ailerons, but perhaps not. It doesn't need them, however, I do like 'em, but I hate building them when they weren't designed into the kit.... its a dilemma.

Eric
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:35 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Here's the progress so far...
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:27 PM
Joined Jun 2002
1,193 Posts
Looking good man. Building the truss for the fuse is the worst part for me!! It is just super tedious but you don't get to see any of the real shape until it is done.

All things considered I wish that I had added ailerons to her. She isn't a heavy weight by any means and the ailerons would aid handling in a little wind a bit easier!!!!

JEff
Old Dec 23, 2008, 07:29 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Yeah, I know. I detest building side frames cause not only do you have to do it once, but twice! However, the end result is usually better than a plane with heavy sheeted sides because its much lighter.

Alright, its starting to shape up a little....
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:14 PM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
Looking good Eric , this was the first bi-plane I built, you'll love it. I put a 400xt in mine and that is a little overkill she flies beautiful at half throttle and it has that extra power in case ya get in trouble , Pat has quite a few great designs, looking forward to following along with your build.

Glenn
shrub wacker is offline Find More Posts by shrub wacker
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:02 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Progress...
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:06 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrub wacker
Looking good Eric , this was the first bi-plane I built, you'll love it. I put a 400xt in mine and that is a little overkill she flies beautiful at half throttle and it has that extra power in case ya get in trouble , Pat has quite a few great designs, looking forward to following along with your build.

Glenn
Heh, yeah, I am using a 20mm 4300Kv brushless motor geared 3.5:1 and at half throttle it pulls 5A and it has tons of thrust even with a little 7in prop, so I can imagine. Also, I agree... I really like Pat Tritle designs... they are beautiful and functional.

Eric
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:12 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Here is a picture of a full scale Waco that I am going to try and model. I like a color scheme that has some variation and complexity.

Eric