Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:48 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
{Photo of me with big grin flying aeroplane}

Forgot till just now to comment on this one. Boingk, what are you flying in this photo?
Sean and Captain, its a Gardan GY-201 Minicab - a French designed light twin-seater aircraft designed in the late 40's and produced in the early 50's, later getting a good reputation as a homebuilt aircraft in Britain and Australia due to its ease of construction (all wooden airframe) and docile flight characteristics.

Stall is 36kt clean or 30kt full flap and useful load 200kg/440lb, although I've had mine over that by a little bit with nothing dramatic except reduced climb - 300ft/min vs 600ft/min solo. She's got a Continental A65 up front, with a 72x48" laminated wooden prop turning at 2200rpm for a cruise of 80kt/90mph/150kmh indicated (about 100mph/160kmh at 5000ft).

I'm selling her shortly, as I can't really justify keeping her now I am not going to try and be a commercial pilot, and buy a smaller craft for myself. I've got a Preceptor Pup in mind - a single seat, 3/4 size Piper J3.

scaflock - No good on the lady, my man, nothing worse then secrets between lovers. You're right on finding them, too; I met a LOT of girls at university but none were really right (though some were amazing in other ways) for me. I met my current girlfriend at an old friends wedding last December and its been on since then. You'll find another woman out there mate.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:09 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Dean, I remember that bird. Very nice, and good use of the stickers, they really compliment the plane, and make it look like it means business.

Steve, if only... Yanno, it can be done, but it would add a couple grand to the bill. I'm nit sure how much it WOULD be to stuff it in a shipping container and ship it over. Can't be more than that, right? Pretty danged expensive anyways. Bummer.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:24 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
I agree. Both of the Paragons looks like a great building job was done on them and the coverings look fantastic. I'm thinking that I just might use the pattern on the blue one only change it to black/trans-red When I do up the Mirage.

Dean: Do you use the Paragon for XC and if so did you change the airfoil or do you ballast her up a bit?
Jeff,

Here's a picture of a Pod and Boom Mirage with a 5 panel wing that was for sale this weekend, Total weight 32 oz. That's exactly how I'm going to build my Mirage this winter. I thought I was going to be the first to build a Mirage with a 5 panel wing. Boy was I surprized when I saw that laying in the grass for sale. I've already drawn up the plan for for the Pod and have built the Tail feathers. I'll probably start construction on the Pod and boom and wing in about a month.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:52 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Cool boingk! Not familiar with it but I'll look it up. There are a lot of different 3/4 J-3 designs out there now. Haven't seen one yet that wasn't extremely cool.

Yeah, Rick is a darn good builder (Blue/white Paragon) Probably has to do with him being one of the most awesome cabinet maker and trim carpenter I know. He can dance well with wood. I think that one was a scratch build. One thing he won't do is mod a design as you'll notice by the wing hold down. He's a purist's purist.

Sweet looking Mirage Eddie!

Steve, just buy the blow boat and we'll figure how to get you there. Maybe bring the better half up with you and consider the return trip a honeymoon.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:02 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Eddie: I've got to admit that is about the slickest looking Mirage I've ever seen. Do you happen to remember what they were asking for it? AS to my build I'm thinking of going the other way and flattening the wing out and making it full house. Not sure at this point though and will have to look at the plans to see how crazy I can get with it.

Boingk: LOL I think I"m a little old to be dating college girls unless they've got a MAJOR "Daddy Complex" going. However they still make for some mighty fine "Eye Candy" Out here in the hinter lands of AZ good looking women that are available are rare. Maybe I'll luck out and meet some sweetie from the Tucson area that wouldn't mind moving out to the middle of nowhere. Not interested in a "Barbie" type because they're usually too high priced on the maintenance. Just don't want one that will make a freight train want to take a dirt road is all.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Oh..... And no one here is allowed to sell Steve any planes or kits unless he's going to come get them in person. Sorry Mate, but we've got to get you over here SOMEHOW!!!!!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:56 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Oh..... And no one here is allowed to sell Steve any planes or kits unless he's going to come get them in person. Sorry Mate, but we've got to get you over here SOMEHOW!!!!!
Well I should have got my butt over there while still a single man Jeff, because come November it is all over for me, if I step out of line I will cop the frypan, as she says, my GF gets back to Aus..

Katie, Potters have made trans atlantic voyages and some mad bugger has probably cruised the pacific already in one no doubt- I was thinking.....
Nah, I've done enough cruising to know better

Neat Mirage Eddie! that's a floater.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:05 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Boingk,

I did the research on the Gardan Minicab and all I can say is SWEET! Lines like a Culver Cadet or a Swift. I like it!

Steve, Congrats are in order. Best of luck in the voyage.

Hey guys, we need to figure out a way to have a global Bachelor party for Steve! We all go to a "Men's Club" in our area and Skype it!

Man, I'm so good I scare myself.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:08 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
Thanks for the update Boingk! Sounds like a woodie to me!
Congrats Don! Maybe in 2 years you can get her started on the 'ancient' gamesystem, N64 and teach her Pilotwings for an early start!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:44 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on the Minicab, guys, love her to death! Flew to a nearby town yesterday which was a lot of fun... probably one of the last trips I'll make in her as I have a fellow coming to look/fly/buy next weekend.

As for ancient gamesystems, I've got the full lineup! Gameboy/Gameboy Colour/Sega Master System/Nintendo 64/XBox/XBox 360... love all of them in their own way.

I'd recommend RCDeskpilot on PC for a starter sim - free, heaps of free-scource models and uses anything from a simple USB game controller (ie XBox) to your lined-in RC controller. Has slope conditions and thermal modelling, too, all adjustable.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Steve, you betchya they have! One P18 and one P14 have gone to Hawaii. The P14 meant to circumnavigate, but he met a girl in Hawaii. There are a couple websites full of great stories. Potter-yachters.org (if that address doesn't work, try an underscore) is one, and the West Wight Potter Owners Homeport is another.

There's a yellow P14 planning a trip around parts of the SF Delta with the rest of the club in a couple weeks, weather and cowardly skipper permitting.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Picture Post for Granada Don

As per Dons' email:

Both of these were built in the mid 80's

Paragon has a more pointed basswood nose block and solid balsa canopy, then i slanted back the rudder lines for a more modern look.

E bird was a scratch build 100" using Mirage ribs with a 4 panel poly design, same angles as the Paragon 4 and 11 degrees just looks right to me and flys good too.

Rear half of fuse a triangle sticks design for a light strong bird, Astro-flight 05 was way too heavy but we did not have too much to pick from back then as it was all new.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:42 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Boingk: You forgot one of the best gaming computers of its time The Amiga 500! Had graphics that it took years for IBMs to catch up to. I was styling back in those days!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:09 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Sweet Paragons Jeff!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:58 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Thanks guys for all the wood candy lately! I'm motivated! (like, sorry honey, i wanted to do a honeymoon overseas with you but, like, all the money I saved has materialised into, ahem, those 'two' woody kits out in the workshop.)

Except you guys know me, there will be no nonsense like marriage to spoil the fun..

I'd love to go cruising the SF Delta with you Katie, consider me as 100Kg of roving ballast, hahaa.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve