Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Cool
Slope gliding in Joshua Tree National Park

March 3-4, 2007
Joshua Tree National Park, CA
Ryan's Ridge

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=33.97366,-116.16098&z=17&t=H

First known flight by James Mueller with a Sport Flyers Wild-Wing glider set-up. We camped in Ryan campground and while rock climbing the nearby Headstone rock my buddy Tom pointed out a nice looking slope to the south. We rolled up the rope and headed out south on Key's View Rd (aka Salton View Rd) for about a mile past Cap Rock to the parking lot conveniently located at the western edge of the slope. We hiked up the saddle to the first rocky crag about a third of a mile from the parking lot. The wind was coming straight out of the north at 15-25mph and directly into the face of "Ryan's Ridge". The launch point was about 260ft from the valley floor with something like 2000ft of ridge to fly back and forth on.

I flew the Wild Wing for more than half an hour before I nearly froze (it's the desert but it's the HIGH desert, in winter). The dog wore herself out chasing and barking after the plane the entire time. Unfortunately, it was a solo flight as my buddy Danny lost his plane to the strong wind on take off and stripped one of his servos in the crash.

Aside from the great flying conditions, the views were spectacular and the flora and fauna of the desert is always amazing...though cactus and granite don't make for the best landing zones. I'd advise durable planes only; though I did hand catch the wild wing, behind the back, south paw...

This flight just barely scratched the surface of what this park has to offer in terms of slope gliding. Using the acmemapper link above, one will notice the bowl shaped geology of the park with rounded hills surrounding long funnel shaped valleys. Not to mention the thought of extreme thermals in the summer.

Enjoy the pictures and hopefully some of you will get to share in this experience. Keep in mind, this is a national park and all the rules of the park should be obeyed with a conscious mind.

Check the update for info on my Ryan Mt. flight, a larger mountain (bigger lift longer approach ) just northeast of Ryan's Ridge. VIDEO!!
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2007, 03:46 AM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Ryan Mt. update

March 3-4, 2007
Joshua Tree National Park, CA
Ryan Mountain

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=33.98168,-116.13941&z=17&t=H

After flying what we dubbed Ryan's Ridge I decided to hike to the top of Ryan Mountain where I was certain I would find some even stronger winds with lots of lift. The wind was had switched from the strong north wind from the day before to a warmer but equally strong wind from the east. Ryan Mountain has ridges facing almost all the points of the compas, predominantly west/east facing at the peak but the north and south ends might work somewhat too. The flying was awesome and I was joined by a couple of ravens for a little while. They seemed more interested in it when it crashed...maybe food?

The approach was a little more strenous than Ryan's Ridge...about 1.3 miles (one way) and about 1000' elevation gain. Lots of people hike this trail so there was an audience at the summit. Carrying the wing up in the backpack got a few smart remarks too.

Park in the Ryan Mt. parking lot just north of Ryan Mt. on the park's main loop Rd.

Bring water, hat, sunscreen, jacket, etc...

Again, enjoy and respect the park.

Video to come soon... HERE NOW!!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653752
Last edited by wr_mizzard; Mar 08, 2007 at 03:15 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2007, 04:12 AM
Charlie
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Dec 2004
422 Posts
Joshua tree is such a beautiful spot whatever you are doing. Pre-kids my wife and I had spent two consecutive fall climbing trips there, of about a month each.
daedaluscan is offline Find More Posts by daedaluscan
Old Mar 07, 2007, 11:49 PM
407mph P.B...Going 4 500mph!
Parker Mtn / Valencia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
786 Posts
Great pictures and good slope searching. Joshua Tree is a very beautiful area, wish my parents didn't sell our cabin out there. Gonna have to throw the foamie in the car next time head out to the Joshua Tree/Big Bear area.

BTW, Did you happen to see any desert tortoises from hibernation, a few of mine came out today with the warm weather we have been having!

Joe
_Sloper is offline Find More Posts by _Sloper
Last edited by _Sloper; Mar 07, 2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2007, 12:59 AM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,814 Posts
Nice pictures, I was there last weekend too, camping just outside the Cottonwood camp entrance off Hwy 10 as my trailer was too big for the campsite. I was going to bring my M60 but decided at the last minute to leave it at home. It was my first time there and since I did not know what to expect and also not having enough time as we spent most of Saturday afternoon, just exploring the area. I figured it was a good decision. But now I see your pictures and wished I had at least taken it with me. The next time we go I will definately bring a plane. It sure is an interesting place, also a lot of rocks, foam is the only thing to fly there.

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Mar 08, 2007, 01:49 AM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sloper

BTW, Did you happen to see any desert tortoises from hibernation, a few of mine came out today with the warm weather we have been having!

Joe
I've never seen a desert tortoise in Joshua Tree, but my grandpa used to own five of them. Whenever I went to visit my grandparents I would go find all the tortoises, line them up and feed 'em lettuce.
Old Mar 09, 2007, 10:24 AM
"just one more pass"
Bakersfield, Ca.
Joined Sep 2005
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedaluscan
my wife and I had spent two consecutive fall climbing trips there, of about a month each.

Are you sure you wanted to use that word in the same sentence with climbing? Lol.
My daughter's boyfriend lives in Portland Oregon, is an avid rock climber and has spent time in Joshua tree. She would say, "we don't do that, daddy".

I've spent some time there too, as a kid in the '60s and 70's. There is so much to see and explore there.
marfish is offline Find More Posts by marfish
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:55 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,253 Posts
Joshua Tree is one of my favorite places on earth. The quiet, solitude and natural beauty of the place are unmatched. Wind galore, as well as hills. Like others, I haven't had the chance to do any sloping there (and was last there before my daughter was born) but I'm sure there's lots of great flying to be had.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old May 05, 2008, 03:48 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Slope Gliding Key's View, Joshua Tree National Park, May 2008

Another trip out to Joshua Tree yielded some awesome slope gliding/dynamic soaring.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697019
Old May 05, 2008, 06:09 PM
Original Jackass
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
James

Now that my hell month is almost over and summer is coming, we should head out to Joshua Tree for a slope trip. Maybe get some climbing in if someone had extra gear I could borrow.

Looks like the lift was awesome. I'm jealous... I gotta get out flying again - maybe wednesday or thursday if weather permits.
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:29 PM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Awesome pictures! I need to get ahold of Hans so he can put those and the rest of what he got on a DVD for me.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:40 PM
It's the best day ever!
Corte Madera (in Marin County, CA)
Joined Jan 2008
405 Posts
Epic. I'm going to totally do that in November on my way to LA. Can I expect wind?
yogiraw is offline Find More Posts by yogiraw
Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:43 PM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Probably. The wind was kind of light when we were there but according to James it was probably just one of the lighter days. He said there's pretty much always lift out there.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 07:47 PM
It's the best day ever!
Corte Madera (in Marin County, CA)
Joined Jan 2008
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosta
Probably. The wind was kind of light when we were there but according to James it was probably just one of the lighter days. He said there's pretty much always lift out there.
I went there just to camp last October on road trip but I was on a break from RCing and it was warm and light winded, but we got their at midnight and left by 1pm the next day, so maybe mid-afternoon it picks up usually?? Climbed big rocks with girl though; fun!
yogiraw is offline Find More Posts by yogiraw