HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ZIPPER, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:41 AM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman89 View Post
Awesome Cory, truly awesome. I wish I had gone down with my Friend cityevader. I would have love to have flown the Dom! Let me know when you will be headed back up to San Jose/Fremont area, so I can get my chance! Maybe at Coyote Hills?

Thanks, keep up the great work!
Funny you should ask that. My wife and I were just going over plans for future family vacations not 10 minutes ago. Looks like we might be headed back to California in 2018...
Cory is online now Find More Posts by Cory
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:03 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
So where is the Dom headed to next?

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2006
959 Posts
Any news?

Any news as to the DOM's next destination. Seems a shame for the old girl(?) to sit around for so long.......

Cheers, all,

Christopher
doddlepots is offline Find More Posts by doddlepots
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:05 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
Be good to have it home in Australia next September whatca think Zipper ?
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:10 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
Home is the Place to be...

Rubio
who just took a run on the coast and had that thought
67econoline is offline Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Here is the video from 7 years ago of WST stop 1 Blackheath NSW Australia.

World Slope Tour (4 min 6 sec)
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
Last edited by Mick Molloy; Nov 13, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,202 Posts
Just reading the log... I forgot i flew it at stop 3 also in Victoria.
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:50 AM
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,349 Posts
Forgive me for being about a month slow posting this, but I had problems with a failing hard drive over the last month and have not had easy time with my computer for that time. Luckily I got it figured out and got a new hard drive before I lost important things like family photos.

Last month, Oct 12th and 13th the DOM went on another adventure; backpacking with the Boy Scouts. It was a very short trip, but still, as far as I know it was the DOM's first overnight backpacking trip. We hiked in along the bank of Ririe Reservoir east of Idaho Falls a short distance to a secluded camp site. The next morning while the Scouts were fishing I climbed the hill above them and attempted to fly. The forecast was for 15 mph winds, but they ended up about half that. I launched the DOM several times but was unable to maintain altitude for very long. The longest flight was about a minute. I also brought my Speedo Thermo which can fly in lighter winds than the DOM but it too was unable to stay up long. At least I tried! Unfortunately I was unable to get any photos during the brief flights.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:17 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,740 Posts
Quote:
Would be nice to see her again, but Im sure there are still places she hasn't been yet.
ZIPPER is online now Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:58 AM
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,349 Posts
There really is strong sentiment out there that this plane needs to end up in the AMA museum or somewhere similar eventually.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:25 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,497 Posts
Nice pics Cory! An overnight backpacking trip for the Dom, how cool.
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:38 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Thats awesome Cory. I've thought about taking up a small wing before, but have always given up after considering the extra weight of the Tx. Of course with only a 1-2 day trip, weight is much less of an issue.

-Jonathan
Last edited by Twyl; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Thats awesome Cory. I've thought about taking up a small wing before, but have always given up after considering the extra weight of the Tx. Of course with only a 1-2 trip weight is much less of an issue.

-Jonathan
My backpacking load is really light. My backpack, tarp tent, and sleeping quilt are all home made. My 3 season base load (everything except food and water) is only 12.5 lbs. that makes carrying a plane or two and transmitter easy. The hard part is protecting the transmitter. I need to make a soft sided foam case that fits in my pack to protect the sticks and switches. A broken down 48" wing would then be easy to take on most trips. I didn't break it down this time because the trip was so short. I also want to come up with a field charger. Any ideas?.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Well I made a Wingwarrior Scrappy that could be broken down and easy stuffed in a briefcase or small backpack and liked it enough I made a second to give to my dad for father's day specifically with having him take it up on a backpacking trip which they had planned that year which I was unable to go on. He was very grateful and happy with the present, but kindly refused to haul it up I suppose there are so many other awesome things to do while hiking in the high Sierra's that flying can be left to do on those days at home when you can't make it to the real mountains.

I'm really jealous of your light weight pack. While I didn't weigh out my base load I think it was fairly minimal, but as I was traveling with a few older folks (parents and a friend) this summer I got designated as the pack mule and hauled way more than I would have liked. We did a 10day hike in from the Minarets and out through Vernal Falls and the Mist Trail to Yosemite Valley.

Why not use a solar charger for your battery needs?

-Jonathan
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
1,031 Posts
Yosemite is awesome. When I was a kid we had a guide take us into the Indian caves. Small crouch down size tunnel for a while, pitch black, and then opened up into a room you could stand and sit around in a decent sized circle. So cool.
Diceman89 is online now Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member