HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2014, 03:51 PM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
99 in butterfly setup ?

I'm building the "Butterfly" which calls for a 15 glow engine but I would rather make it electric. It has a 99 inch wingspan and flying weight around 50 ounces - wing loading around 7 and a half oz. What I want to know is what do I need in the way of a brushless setup?? motor size/esc/battery??
dumm thumbs is offline Find More Posts by dumm thumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2014, 05:35 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,080 Posts
Butterfly elec conversion

The Butterfly is basically a powered glider, so a good starting point might be between 150 and 200 watts per kilo of all-up weight.
Weight should increase very little with the conversion, so work on 1.5kg total, that gives somewhere between 225 and 300 watts - or 20 to 30 amps from a 3S LiPo delivering approx 10V under load.
A battery to deliver that sort of power for, say, six minutes will need to be around 2200mAh.
For the motor, have a look at the HK SK3 Gliderdrive series with the hard case and connectors on the back - the 3.5 960kv might work well here, with a 10x6 folding prop. Easy to install and will handle the power you need.
For a speed control, allow some 'headroom' and go for a 40A ESC - I use the Turnigy Plush series with zero problems.
Be aware, though, that there are as many answers to your question as there are modellers - you can certainly spend a fair bit more on a quality setup if you prefer that route (and I do, with my larger or more expensive models), but the setup above should work well and provide good performance at very moderate cost.
Cheers, and have fun,
PeteM
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Dec 02, 2014, 08:41 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,275 Posts
I think you have good advice above from Pete! That motor is very easy to mount compared to other brush-less motors (no wires to rub).

I would add that you want an ESC with a switching BEC (as opposed to linear), they cost a "little" more but worth the "buffer" for servos.

If you are going to fly this like a glider, a smaller battery (3Cell 40C 1800mAH) will be better and possibly a 11x6 prop. If you want it to fly like a powered plane, go with the bigger battery for longer run time.

From a safety perspective, get a spinner that allows you to use Aeronaut or Graupner (Esprit hobby is a great source) folding props (assuming you want a folder). There are various brands but these have published specs' on speed and are a known quantity. I am not a fan of some the Hobby King plastic ones...

Scott
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Dec 02, 2014, 10:17 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,080 Posts
Agree all, Scott: I buy lots of stuff from HK, but have found their props to be something of a lottery in balance, fit and strength/longevity. Trouble is, a decent folder setup can cost more than the rest of the equipment fit!
And you are right, if model is to be flown as a powered aircraft most of the time, a folder is not needed.
Pete
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Dec 02, 2014, 10:18 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,379 Posts
Hi,
Nice info shared.
I would also check out this thread as Kimber ended up extending the nose some to aid in balance.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...y#post24523609

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Since the butterfly has a tendency to be tail heavy and since my wing is 5/8 inches wider than the plan shows, should I move the wing forward or back 5/8th of an inch to compensate ? I'm still in the build stage and a little confused on this question.
dumm thumbs is offline Find More Posts by dumm thumbs
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,379 Posts
Hi,
Well, if you read through the whole thread, you should be fine if you are extending the nose.
5/8th either way is not that much for the main wing.
Split the difference and move on.

Where are the snappies,

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member