HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:20 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
865 Posts
Discussion
Cloud Cruiser amplan build 2014

I originally planned to build Carl Goldberg's Sailplane for my Laser 60 engine but having watched my Cumulus climb fast on an electric motor before turning into a glider, I have decided to build Harry Moyer's 1937 "Cloud Cruiser" which will be a better match of engine and model for cruising around on idle at low level before climbing for a glide back down.

The Cloud Cruiser is 72" span which is too small for my early Laser 60 engine (plug facing forward) and will be scaling it up to either 84" or 90" span and would like some feedback from the Group on power of the laser against 84" or 90". The Laser is a heavy modest powered engine which will turn a big prop - ideal for vintage slow flypasts.

My modelling friend, Mick Butler, is building a 72" version , so it will be interesting to see the 2 models together - aka the 2 Cumulii we have. Mick is the chap with the vintage videos on youtube and if you havn't seen any of these, I highly recommend them.

WMD started a build on the cloud criuser but has not finished it - I had hoped he would before we got started so that we could benefit from his build.

plan and picture attached to show what Cloud Cruiser and plan look like. Wing is held centrally at root rib, so those struts are working struts .
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:42 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,999 Posts
I've changed your entry and posted the build thread link John. Should be an interesting model.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:16 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
That is lovely looking model - I'll be following with interest!!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Oct 05, 2014, 06:23 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,910 Posts
She's going to look great, parasols just look better

Al
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Oct 05, 2014, 06:48 AM
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
511 Posts
Good luck John!

-Paul
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Oct 06, 2014, 03:26 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_BB View Post
Good luck John!

-Paul
I think we will need it - the cabane is causing us both some head scratching - me because I want to stay with original if I can bend 4 bits of piano wire into 2 pairs of neat loops for wing joining dowels to go thru at the right incidence ( and the working struts the right length to maintain incidence and equal dihedral both sides ) and retain removable top deck for easy access to fuel tanks and radio gear.

Mick is opting for platform on top of cabane to r'band wing to but working struts will still need good geometry as platform only 3" wide - will it be enough for non wkg struts ?

john
Old Oct 06, 2014, 02:22 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
529 Posts
Hi John ,

Can't wait to see your " cloud cruiser " progress... I've always liked this one...

Best Regards,

Jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Willie Smith " TORERO " ...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 03:23 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
865 Posts
Out the starting gate at last with the side frames constructed. Usual construction - pinned straight top longeron, pairs of spacers cut and the precurved bottom longeron offered up and glued.

About 55" long and just fitting my bench. Hardwood strips for mounting cabane can be seen in frame. After much thought and trial wire bending to match the plan cabane, have given up on the centre cabane wing mounting ( see plan sketch ) and fully working struts - couldnt bend 14 swg wire in to 1/4" loops - best I could get was 5/16" and that was too sloppy for the 1/4" carbon rod wing joiners. So a straight up cabane with 5" wide platform at top which wing will rubberband to and which changes the struts to decorative ( which makes construction easier as well )

On with the motley

john
Old Oct 17, 2014, 03:31 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,999 Posts
Don't blame you for giving up on that wire bending John, I'm sure the final result will look just as good.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:31 AM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
479 Posts
WATCHING,

Ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Oct 18, 2014, 03:35 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
865 Posts
while wife is away - hubby gets to play - more progress on the Cloud Cruiser

After deciding I couldn't bend wire to meet plan design, which left me with cabane platform and rubberbanding across wing, I had another eureka moment - no I wasnt in my bath - I recalled David Boddington's 72" Bistormer ( currently hiding in a corner long time waiting repair) , which has aluminium cabane with hidden wing bolts underneath, - so off to local DIY for some dural which they didnt have so settled for aluminium meantime and results shown below. I will skim the ally with thin balsa and covering so that it looks more authentic. Hope to get rest of formers on later today.

The Laser 60 will be mounted on a plate bolted to the side runners so that if I need to change engine or go electric - easy to remove.

Photos show the hardwood frame which the cabane will be screwed to and the frame in situ. The glued joints will be reinforced with small screws.

john
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:52 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John38 View Post
......so off to local DIY for some dural which they didnt have so settled for aluminium
Good move, John.......but which UK DIY store stocks aluminium?? I have sometimes gasped in wonder at the sort of gear our transatlantic cousins can pick up in their local Home Deeeepo compared to the lacklustre (from a modelling point of view) offerings from B&Q and Homebase.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:25 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,999 Posts
Surprised you can't find aluminium at B&Q etc Colonel. Brico Marche and Mr Bricolage here are pretty pathetic (and expensive) compared to the UK, but both have lots of aluminium.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:14 PM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
865 Posts
I got my aluminium strip at B&Q which stocks various sizes of strip , but ally is relatively soft compared to dural which is what I was after. If I do find a source of dural, it will be easy to replace the ally ones - only 4 wood screws and another bit of bending - at least I will have a pattern to follow.

Main thing is I have avoided large rubber bands going over centre of wing in the cockpit area - and that was one of the points of harry's design.

CB, I always take a prowl round home depot etc when in the US and pick up various bits and pieces. Had to stop bringing back tins of stuff however - since 9/11, security have taken every tin out regardless of contents.

john
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:23 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
865 Posts
Basic fuselage built in jig and now out. Model is bigger than I thought it would be - about the same bulk as my Majestic Major.

All the fiddly bits to do now. Thought about switching to wing but that would just Q the fiddly bits of the wing as well. Once I get engine/tank/radio placed roughly, the front half is then sheetd with 3/32 or 1/8 sheet which I will put on diagonally on top of 1/4 sheet infill already built in. The front end is going to be strong.

Rectangular formers show up clearly and are all made with 1/8 by 3/4" stripped from 1/8th sheet. Gives compression strength in 2 directions compared to formers cut from sheet. Plenty of room to move Rx/Battery/servos about to get CG about 33% as I suspect with the very light tailend and the heavy laser 60 engine, model might end up nose heavy,

john