HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:02 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Discussion
IFT Evolve 300 CX RTF and RFR; A larger CX heli to fly indoors and out in the wind!

Hello everyone,

The new IFT Evolve 300 CX RTF and RFR (Ready-For-Receiver) helis arrived in HobbyTown USA stores last week. Many stores also have the full line of spare and option parts in stock now!

Also, the RTF and RFR version helis, along with the spare and option parts, are available online at www.HobbyTown.com. Helis and parts will also be available at www.IFTRC.com in the coming weeks.

Please see below and check out our web site (www.IFTRC.com) for more information on the Evolve 300 CX. You can also follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/IFTRC), Twitter (www.twitter.com/IFT_RC) and YouTube (www.youtube.com/IFTRC).

Features
• Ultra-stable coaxial, counter-rotating blade design that will have any first-time pilot hovering like a pro in no time
• Equipped with innovative and IFT-exclusive Collision Avoidance Technology (C.A.T.) to automatically avoid collisions with a variety of obstacles
• Larger than typical ultra-micro and micro class CX helis for improved visibility and performance when flying outdoors in winds up to 5-10mph
• Available in RTF (Ready-To-Fly) and RFR (Ready-For-Receiver) versions that both include a factory-installed C.A.T. module and ultrasonic sensors
• Digital servos and powerful 370 motors coupled to a 3S 11.1V LiPo battery deliver plenty of power and precise control for flying indoors and outdoors
• 100% factory-assembled, test-flown and ready to fly right out of the box including the scale body finished in an eye-catching and highly visible trim scheme

Overview
The Innovative Flight Technologies (IFT)™ Evolve 300 CX is perfect for first-time and experienced pilots looking for a larger CX heli they can fly indoors and outdoors too. It’s much larger than typical ultra-micro and micro class CX helis for improved visibility and performance when flying outdoors in winds up to 5-10mph, yet the innovative and IFT-exclusive Collision Avoidance Technology (C.A.T.) also makes it possible to fly indoors in spaces where you may never comfortably fly most other micro class helis.

Equipped with a coaxial, counter-rotating blade design that offers excellent control and unsurpassed stability, the Evolve 300 CX will have any first-time pilot hovering like a pro in no time while digital servos and powerful 370 motors coupled to a 3S 11.1V LiPo battery offer plenty of power and precise control for experienced pilots. The scale body is factory-finished in an eye-catching and highly visible trim scheme, plus the heli arrives 100% factory-assembled and ready to fly right out of the box!

The Evolve 300 CX is available in RTF (Ready-To-Fly) and RFR (Ready-For-Receiver) versions that include a factory-installed C.A.T. module and ultrasonic sensors plus an advanced 3-in-1 control unit and 7.5-gram digital sub-micro servos. The RFR version is ready for you to install a receiver compatible with your favorite transmitter while the RTF version includes everything needed to fly right out of the box — from AA batteries for the 5-channel 2.4GHz transmitter and a 6-channel receiver to the 800mAh 3S 11.1V LiPo battery, DC balancing charger and AC adapter there’s nothing extra to buy!

Collision Avoidance Technology
Designed and developed exclusively by IFT engineers, innovative Collision Avoidance Technology (C.A.T.) delivers functionality and performance never before seen in a ready-to-fly RC aircraft. Using state-of-the-art ultrasonic sensors and technology similar to that found in luxury automobiles for collision intervention and parking assistance, C.A.T. can automatically avoid collisions with a variety of obstacles including walls, furniture and more*. This helps first-time pilots avoid collisions and crashes when learning to fly while also giving low-time and experienced pilots added confidence to fly in smaller indoor spaces.

The advanced and IFT-exclusive C.A.T. software offers selectable modes suitable for flying in larger and smaller indoor spaces and also makes it possible to turn the technology on or off remotely from the transmitter. Best of all the C.A.T. module and ultrasonic sensors are factory-installed and ready to use right out of the box with no difficult assembly, setup or adjustments required!

Specifications
Length: 18.3 in (465mm)
Height: 10.4 in (265mm)
Main Rotor Diameter: 18.0 in (460mm)
Weight with Battery: 16.0 oz (455g)
Main Motor: 370 (2 installed)
Battery: 800mAh 3S 11.1V LiPo (included with RTF, required for RFR)
Charger: 3S 11.1V LiPo DC balancing and AC adapter (included with RTF, required for RFR)
Transmitter: 5-channel 2.4GHz (included with RTF, required for RFR)
On-Board Electronics: Receiver (installed in RTF, required for RFR), 3-in-1 control unit with 2 ESCs/mixer/gyro, Collision Avoidance Technology module and sensors (installed in RTF and RFR)

IFLH1300; Evolve 300 CX RTF -- $219.99*
IFLH1302; Evolve 300 CX RFR (Ready-For-Receiver) -- $149.99*

*At participating retailers
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Mar 08, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:08 AM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello again everyone,

Here's a quick video (watch it in HD!) showing the Evolve 300 CX in action, indoors and out!

IFT Evolve 300 CX RTF and RFR with Collision Avoidance Technology (C.A.T.) (3 min 24 sec)

You can also view the instruction manual and 'Quick Tips' PDF files linked below:
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Mar 02, 2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:16 AM
Where's the swimming pool
Joined Jul 2011
1,025 Posts
Hi Jason, the parts explosion diagram looks very much like that of the Blade's.

Is the airframe similiar?
Can certain parts be shared/are common?

Thanks.
spykez is online now Find More Posts by spykez
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:24 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,025 Posts
Seen another one like it (airframe) but obviously not with your refinements. Are all these based on the same airframe?

<link removed>

Addendum: Jason very courteously requested I remove the link to the dynam coax in this post. Note: I have to reiterate he asked very nicely privately, which led me to think long and hard. I could just leave it as is - but I can see why he would want it erased - competition.

In the end, weighing it all up I think I would rather see his company succeed than the other, so I've done as requested. I believe his product is more innovative.

I think it's fair to those of you who have just tuned in to put my posts in context. I asked about the CX4 on another forum and future plans and got a rather snotty answer from a Blade guy there. This led me to look at the CX4 exploded parts diagram and other coaxes ... and finding similarities, esp to Jason's product, I just had to ask on this forum.

I would also like to thank Jason for his information and transparency. It's a lot different to the response I got from that one Blade guy.

Thus I think there is reasonable suggestion that the Blade CX4 is not based on a new airframe.

I hope Jason and his folks succeed with their heli. Another company producing micros can only be good for us all.
Last edited by spykez; Mar 07, 2013 at 02:19 AM. Reason: see note
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:08 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello spykez,

The Dynam heli was developed by and is built in a different factory....it is not the same airframe. And some (but not all) parts are compatible with the Blade.

Also, for those that might be interested, earlier this week Firelands Group LLC (the parent company of IFT RC, Ares RC, Anza RC, Helion RC and Radient RC) acquired J Perkins Distribution Ltd (the parent company of Twister). And for added reference we've been working as partners with their Product Development team for almost 2 years now.

Jason M.
IFT RC Product Development
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Mar 07, 2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,025 Posts
Thanks for that. I am just curious how the Blade and your heli have the same-ish airframe. Who originally developed it? J Perkins? If so how is Blade linked into all this? Thanks
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:12 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
The original version airframe was initially developed by J Perkins in conjunction with the factory that produces it. We chose to start with that proven reliable airframe as a base for the Evolve 300 CX while updating various parts to further improve handling/performance indoors and out, and to integrate the Collision Avoidance Technology that we (Firelands/IFT) developed internally. Can't answer for Blade as they started development of their model after we started development of ours (which began in 2011).
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:46 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello everyone,

Check out the review of the Evolve 300 CX (starting on page 8) in the March issue of Hobby Outlook:

http://en.calameo.com/read/0020112016471c87301a2

Also, both the RTF and RFR (Ready-For-Receiver) version helis are in stock and ready to order online at HobbyTown.com and IFTRC.com (with $4.99 flat rate shipping!):

http://www.hobbytown.com/Search.aspx...lve%20300%20cx

http://www.iftrc.com/evolve300CX.html

Helis and parts are also in stock at many HobbyTown USA stores nationwide!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:15 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello everyone,

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the fantastic VIDEO review of the Evolve 300 CX from Rob and Kurt at 2 Brothers Hobby including an up close look, flight footage, their exclusive 5X5 review scoring and more!

http://2bfly.com/reviews/ift-evolve-300-cx-rtf-review/

IFT Evolve 300 CX RTF Review - Part 1, Intro and Flight
IFT Evolve 300 CX RTF Review - Part 1, Intro and Flight (11 min 18 sec)

IFT Evolve 300 CX RTF Review - Part 2, Scoring
IFT Evolve 300 CX RTF Review - Part 2, Scoring (11 min 12 sec)

And don't forget the Evolve 300 CX is available and in stock NOW at HobbyTown USA stores, www.HobbyTown.com and www.IFTRC.com!

www.iftrc.com/evolve300CX.html

http://hobbytown.com/Search.aspx?sea...=Evolve+300+CX
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:45 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
I'm considering one of these in the RFR flavor. I'd love to hear some feedback about the 300 CX from current owners.

-Steve
SJMarty is offline Find More Posts by SJMarty
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:46 PM
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
I would like to hear from current owners also. Vids from them would be great.
Can you use a Spektrum airpane receiver in this? An AR6100e ?
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:15 AM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwek View Post
Can you use a Spektrum airpane receiver in this? An AR6100e ?
Yes, the AR6100e will fit and work perfectly
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:18 PM
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
Yes, the AR6100e will fit and work perfectly
I have several of these. I would guess a DX5e Tx would work with this setup? If not I can use my DX 7 Tx.
Also if I use my own Tx can I turn CAT on & off like you can with the supplied TX?
How can I change the Hi/low mode for the CAT system with my Tx?
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Last edited by rwek; Apr 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:43 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwek View Post
I have several of these. I would guess a DX5e Tx would work with this setup? If not I can use my DX 7 Tx.
Also if I use my own Tx can I turn CAT on & off like you can with the supplied TX?
How can I change the Hi/low mode for the CAT system with my Tx?
The HI/LO mode selection switch is located on the C.A.T. module itself and you can can use the 'Gear' channel (channel 5) of the DX5e transmitter (or channel 5, 6 or 7 of the DX7) to turn C.A.T. on and off remotely from the transmitter. Please see pages 6 and 7 of the instruction manual linked in post #2 above (the first link to a PDF near the bottom) for more info.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Mar 2013
272 Posts
I bought my E300CX in the RFR configuration. I bought it because the bigger motors and bigger battery run a lot smoother than a Blade CX2 I have. I looked at both the E300CX and the Blade CX4, but decided to go with the E300CX because of the RFR version (didn't need RTF) and because the body just plain looks a lot better than a CX4. I bought a body kit for the CX2 - no need for that with the E300CX!

For the radio, I'm using a Spektrum AR600 receiver and a DX8 transmitter. Just personal preference... I chose not to go with an end-plug style receiver. I mounted the receiver underneath the frame (under the tab holding the 3-in-1 unit) with velcro. The AR600 is DSMX and telemetry-capable, and it's only a few dollars more than the 6100e. I have a 6100e on the CX2 and it's pretty quirky about the timing between turning on the transmitter and powering up the heli; the 6100e doesn't always connect if the timing isn't right. The AR600 doesn't have that quirk - you can leave the TX on, change the battery on the heli, and the AR600 doesn't miss a beat and syncs back up again with the TX.

I posted another thread here about the built-in gyro. That issue was fixed by replacing the 3-in-1. The built-in gyro works very well. It's not perfect, and the manual even says in a couple of places that some nose turn is normal. My CX2 was all over the place without an external heading hold gyro, but it's perfect with a HH gyro. The E300CX is very controllable and well-behaved out of the box, but will need some slight correction for the rudder as the flight time goes on. I'm spoiled in that my first hobby-grade heli was an mCX2 that files perfectly steady for multiple batteries. The bigger coax helis can't quite do that... too much heat and/or power required I suppose. So far, I haven't gotten the E300CX to work with an external gyro, but honestly it's not really necessary. The CX2 threads are full of people people who immediately replace the motors with brushless or add a gyro in order to make it more stable. You won't need to do to that with the E300CX.

One key thing to know about the internal gyro. When you power up the transmitter, be sure that the rudder trim is 0 (centered) before powering up the heli and initializing the gryo. If you don't have the rudder trim centered at the start, then the gyro will be a bit off and won't work as consistently.

I had the CAT system connected to the Gear switch as described in the manual. That worked fine but had a quirk with the DX8. The gear switch has three positions on a DX8. The CAT was always on in position 0, and off in position 2, but sometimes position 1 (the center position on the switch) was a wildcard. Sometimes it would depend on the position of the switch when I powered things up or especially when binding the RX to the TX. So that's another thing to note - make sure your gear switch is set to 0 when binding the RX to the TX, or else you may not be able to turn off the CAT during flight. That could be my fault in programming the DX8 and not the heli.

In the process of troubleshooting the 3-in-1 issues, I disconnected the CAT system and ran everything directly to the receiver. That's pretty easy to do if you find you want to do it. I labeled everything so I could put it back together in the future. It's wired up using special servo extensions, so you can disconnect the 3-in-1 and the servos from those extensions and instead go straight to the receiver. I needed short servo extension cables for the two servos, but the 3-in-1 wires were long enough to go direct to the receiver.

In the little bit of time I played with the CAT system, it certainly did work as advertised. I didn't fly it toward a wall very quickly to test it (too afraid of crashing!), but I could tell when the CAT would take over as the wall got closer and closer.

When I bought the E300CX I had a heck of a time finding batteries for it. I wound up ordering the similar CX4 Eflite battery from Horizon Hobby. The Eflite version is 30C compared to IFT's 20C, so the Eflite is just a tiny bit bigger and therefore a little harder to install in the heli. The heli is definitely designed for the 20C version. I used some sandpaper to make the battery holder space just a bit bigger and that worked out fine, allowing the 30C's to have a snug but very reasonable fit. I'm not noticing a lot of difference in performance between the 20C and the 30C batteries. I'm running both for a flight time of 7 minutes.

My next mod will be to add the Blade CX3 LED light kit. It's sorely lacking some flashing lights!
flightengr is online now Find More Posts by flightengr
Last edited by flightengr; Apr 29, 2013 at 08:17 AM.