Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:34 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratigio View Post
Finished my Zephyr today.

Lot's of red as promised.
Looks good Stratigio, congratulations! Let us know how it flies.

I have been flying mine several more times but have not managed to thermal it properly (?) but I have had much fun, and it is still in one piece. I have not made reports because I have no photos or videos. I think my right arm has begun to develop... feeling sort of like a fiddler crab... but I can throw harder now and it doesn't hurt.

I have added a small hook, and have a light hi-start which I will use next time I go out. I hope I can find a helper to take some pics.

Ricardo
Peruvian is online now Find More Posts by Peruvian
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:01 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
I think my right arm has begun to develop... feeling sort of like a fiddler crab... but I can throw harder now and it doesn't hurt.

Ricardo
I read an article where a guy hired a personal trainer to work out his right arm only specifically to launch his plane. It makes me think of the movie "Lady in the Water"

UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:10 AM
Giorgos Stratakis
Athens Greece
Joined Jun 2008
260 Posts
@Dave: Sure is Capní. Aghrrr!!!

@Craig: It is beautiful by itself man, thanks to Mark. I just added fancy paint.

@Ricardo: Iíll be posting as soon as weather permits for a maiden. Finished with the trimming today and canít wait to see it airborne.

Hope this poor dude is not you...

Thanks to all of you guys for your nice words.
Stratigio is offline Find More Posts by Stratigio
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:46 AM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
[QUOTE=Stratigio;23820707]

Hope this poor dude is not you...

No, I'm much older...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:02 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
545 Posts
Now for the ugly one

We now have been shown the beauty and elegance of the Zephyr II thanks to Rocardo and Giorgos.

But ugliness (and impurity) is also a possibility. This little e-beast is on the heavy side for a Zephyr II (275 grams, 9.8 oz) but a mini-thermaling jewel.

Today she had a 40 minute flight (partially in the company of red shouldered hawks) in very nice conditions. Did several lengthy flat spins to avoid losing her.

This is a thrilling little thermal machine - very exciting to fly in thermals. Quite a speed range and a strong wing.

But she can get really tiny really fast in a boomer; excitment can quickly turn into terror.

This is my first mini e-thermaller and I love her.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:12 AM
Giorgos Stratakis
Athens Greece
Joined Jun 2008
260 Posts
Can't see the ugliness you're talking about, Craig. Looks nice to me. I detect some roughness on the motor-mount but with its own charm. Nice to hear that you enjoy it that much and I admit that I'm pretty jealous of you. The weather here hasn't even left a window allowing for a maiden flight yet and I can't wait...

I don't know how many of you guys have realized that there must be a connection with the red color and the Zephyr design. I don't know why but I can see that most of us prefer it on this particular glider. I've opened a thread in Greek here on the ZephyrII and I got some pictures posted (by our National Federation's president) with the Original Zephyr design published by the Aviation Modeler back in '81and guess what...

Lots of red on that one, too.
Stratigio is offline Find More Posts by Stratigio
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:15 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
I also think it is nice, Craig and interesting too, specially if it thermals so well and you are having a ball. Cheers,

Ricardo
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:19 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Zephyr II loves the beach...

Playing boomerang at the beach: launch, fly a big circle (or two), catch. Lots of fun!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:28 AM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Added a hook

Although I have had great fun hand launching my Zephyr, I haven't been able to reach enough hight to catch thermals. So I attached a hook and used a small hi-start: 40 m. of string and 8m. of light rubber tubing and a parachute made from a plastic bag. Amazing! It thermalled on the first launch. It seems like it doesn't want to come back to ground. The fun continues...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:09 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
545 Posts
Quote:
Although I have had great fun hand launching my Zephyr, I haven't been able to reach enough hight to catch thermals. So I attached a hook and used a small hi-start: 40 m. of string and 8m. of light rubber tubing and a parachute made from a plastic bag. Amazing! It thermalled on the first launch. It seems like it doesn't want to come back to ground. The fun continues...
Richardo:

She looks very beautiful in the sky. Glad you you are experiencing the thrill of this little bird going up.

But be careful not to let her turn into a dot; it is a tiny plane and I came close to losing mine last week. But the wing is strong; she flat spins nicely and can be flown fairly fast (so far, so good).

Be sure to attach a label containing your name and phone number.

Wishing you many hours of thermaling thrills.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Totally awesome.

Out of curiosity ... are you on the east or west side of those large mountains in the background? Looks like beautiful countryside ...
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:30 AM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr View Post
Richardo:

She looks very beautiful in the sky. Glad you you are experiencing the thrill of this little bird going up.

But be careful not to let her turn into a dot; it is a tiny plane and I came close to losing mine last week. But the wing is strong; she flat spins nicely and can be flown fairly fast (so far, so good).

Be sure to attach a label containing your name and phone number.

Wishing you many hours of thermaling thrills.

Craig
Thanks Craig. I hadn't done the name and phone number thing yet, but it is a good idea now... I am a bit paranoiac about loosing her so I get her out of the thermal well before she turns into a dot. I don't think thermals are very strong here, at least until now. To leave a thermal I just head her back towards me and slowly she starts to glide down. It is fun to catch another one half way down and start again.
Ricardo
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:39 AM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_n_Dave View Post
Totally awesome.

Out of curiosity ... are you on the east or west side of those large mountains in the background? Looks like beautiful countryside ...
Thanks Dave. I am on the west side of the mountains, about 1 km. from the sea, if you keep going west. Very desertic countryside, but beautiful indeed.
Ricardo