Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:21 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
Discussion
MANTA - Vector Kite at Menden Kite Festival 2012

Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012 - Menden Kite Festival:

We've made a new video of the MANTA Vektor Kite, equipped with a home-made Bi-Rotor Vector-Unit. Equipped with a 3S-2400 LiPo, flight-time was around 15 minutes. Regarding the windspeed up to 3 bft, we took place beside a forest, to fly under the wind-shadow of the trees.
Nice flights, nice kites, nice day!

Here is the video:

RC - VECTOR KITE 34 - 2 * birotor vector propulsion * NEW VIDEO * (2 min 53 sec)

Have fun!

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Last edited by flattermann; Oct 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:37 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bognor Regis
Joined Feb 2011
355 Posts
Looks impresive

What are the advantages of bi-rotor ?

2 ESC's
2 Receivers

Dave
Mitchy123 is offline Find More Posts by Mitchy123
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
The 2 counter-rotating props neutralize the mutual torque - so you can fly rightturns and leftturns equal.
In comparison, a Vector Unit with a rightturning single prop develops torque to the left, so leftturns can be flown easier and with a shorter radius than rightturns.
This phenomenon is the more stronger, the closer the prop works near the center of gravity of the Vector Kite.

2 ESC's are necessary, because the unit works with 2 (counterrotating) BL- motors.
I used 2 separate (very cheap) 2.4 ghz receivers (one only for the ESC of the rear BL-motor) to avoid signal interference. With only 1 receiver and an Y-cable for the 2 ESCs, it did'nt work stable.

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:05 AM
Damn Gremlins!!!!
Milescity,Montana
Joined Dec 2007
41 Posts
Wow, mine came. It's huge!

Flew it at night before I went to work next to our parking lot, so I had enough light. It's so weird looking, it just floats slowly. It's really easy to make hover if there is a breeze, and would look awesome lit up with some LEDs.

Upon landing, the wing tipped in, but nothing major broke. I flew it again, gracefully is an understatement, it really is alien looking though. It landed easily, but upon inspection I noticed that my main dihedral snapped in half.

That's was an easy fix with a copper tube from ace. Flies great.
I got a bunch of lights on the way and will post pics when it's done.

I just wanted to thank Flatterman,and everyone else that gave people into on these things and for posting videos of them. The kite really is worth it, just get one guys, they are just as much of a head turner as a 6" P-38
Sgtmonkeynads is offline Find More Posts by Sgtmonkeynads
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:58 PM
Australia, NSW, Kanahooka
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
G'day Flatterman

Awesome kite. Very unique. Love the way it moves. Well done.
Garry Bromley is offline Find More Posts by Garry Bromley