HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,169 Posts
Discussion
4 stroke props

I was just wondering if some of you lean towards a certain brand (or material)of props for 4 strokes.
I have somehow fallen into the groove of using Master Airscrew on 4 strokes,and APC on 2 strokes. I'm not sure just how I got started thinking this way.
I have been reading on the profile forums how they like wood for 3-D on a lot of motors both on 2 and 4 stroke.
My method in the past has been buy a handful of Master Airscrews and go fly and see what works best.
Just curious how some of you determine which way to go when you get a new motor on getting the best performance
Crowfly is online now Find More Posts by Crowfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
Graham W
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
I think it's good to have a visible prop - the Master Airscrew 4 stroke ones have a white tip on a black blade which is easy to see so I like them. I use a 2 stroke engine, buy the plain MA props and paint a white tip on them!
grahamandcath is offline Find More Posts by grahamandcath
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
Xoar for wood (aerobatics), APC for nylon (speed). I use MA occasionally when performance is not the objective, like with scale stuff.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
APC for most all of my glow engines, two or four stroke. If I use wood then I too use Xoar. Scale plane then I may use a MAS. As to how to choose the prop I do as you and grab a bunch in the sizes I think will work well and go out and spend a day prop testing until I find the size that will fly the plane the way I like. I do try to slow my planes down and get as much torque as I can get. I also tend to over power my planes so prop choice usually comes out as being long with a small pitch. On trainers I always use MAS, they are almost bullet proof!! They take well to ground strikes.
I have painted the tips of my APC props but I find I can't see them anyway. If you can see the painted tips then it isn't a bad idea to do, just balance the props again after painting.
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,169 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I will get away from Master Airscrew on this "experiment" except for the one I have on it. I think I somehow thought they were heavier and needed for a 4 stroke. Who knows
I somehow completely got away from wooden props. Maybe because I ruined too many taking off in tall grass. Ya got to admit wooden props aren't as forgiving. But I'm gonna try going back to them for awhile.
My new "project" is an old Saito .50 I bought used to replace a Magnum .52.
So far the magnum has it beat (it developed a carb problem where the throttle sticks). But I have a feeling if I find the right prop it will equal the power of the magnum. We'll see
Fred
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
I have 4 Magnum 52's and 2 Magnum 61's, you just can't beat them. They pull like tractors and swing big props, plus they are cheap! I love my Expensive Saito's on my Hogs, but my normal planes run the previous. They just work good.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
You will develop more torque from the Saito but you won't get near the RPM range. It's a trade off but prop selection is a big help. In glow I do prefer the four stroke but I use nothing smaller then the .91s. Give the APC a try too. You do smooth out the idle with a heavy prop but that's about it. The MAS isn't a real efficient prop compared to the APC but they have there place. Only way to know for sure is to do some testing. Have fun with it and make a day out of just trying different props, that goes for any engine you are using.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:54 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
"Master Airscrew on 4 strokes,and APC on 2 strokes."

Master Airscrew are "beefier" in the hub to handle the harder pounding of a 4 stroke. I would never use an APC on a 4 stroke.

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
I have never ever heard of an APC coming apart due to it being 2 or 4 stroke... I highly highly doubt it would cause a failure. Also, the "beefiness" of the hub (do you mean thickness, front to back?) is of little consequence, the width of the blade is a much better guage of what kind of "pounding" a prop can take. All of the APC blades I have appear to have a wider chord at the base than the equivelent sized MA prop.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Last edited by ChillPhatCat; Sep 17, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:30 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Beard;
>
>
>
just balance the props again after painting.
or use the paint to do the balancing It works well.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Master Airscrew on 4 strokes,and APC on 2 strokes."

Master Airscrew are "beefier" in the hub to handle the harder pounding of a 4 stroke. I would never use an APC on a 4 stroke.

Les
Ahhhh your where I got the idea
Just kiddin.
Fred
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:07 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
201 Posts
I started with MA on my Kadet OS 52FS, and DLE20, the tried an APC after I got a Magnum 52FS and the manual recommended using APC for break in, so I got APC for the Kadet and after one flight was hooked. It woke the plane up. Now I use APC on all my planes, I have an OS 52, Magnum 52 and 91 all 4 stroke and a DLE20.

I tried a XOAR on the DLE20 which is on a 4*120 and switched back to the APC, I really didnt see much difference between the two other than higher RPM with the XOAR.

The prop I use is a 16x8 APC, tried a 17x6 XOAR and didnt see a difference. Still going to experiment, going to try a 16x4 APC and 16x8 XOAR next to see if there is any difference. If I can get a little more vertical out of any of the others, thats a plus, but if not, I will stick with the APC I have on it now.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowfly View Post
Ahhhh your where I got the idea
Just kiddin.
Fred
I'm so glad your kidding, I couldn't remember ever coming up with that. You had me going for a second or two!!
I use clear lacquer to balance a lot of my props.
I'm color blind and really don't see the props when spinning but as a kid I used to paint them so others saw a design. I have only stuck my hand in a prop once, I was 8 years old and still carry the scar.
I do often balance a few props for specific planes then drop them into a tub of Ritt Dye to color coordinate. At some IMAA events when people asked me about the colored props I would tell them I had them special made for me. They wanted to buy some!! Pained me to have to tell the truth about them.
OK, now I did it. APC props can be dyed with Ritt Dye but only the darker colors. Remember your color chart, APCs are gray so light colors like Yellow don't look too good but dark colors work great!!
There, one of my secrets revealed!!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
201 Posts
I want red ones. Now if I dye one blade yellow and one blade blue, will it be green when it spins?
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:46 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I want red ones. Now if I dye one blade yellow and one blade blue, will it be green when it spins?
I think so.
Try it and you can tell us instead of asking .

I doubt that anyone has the proof having done it.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)