HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined May 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
Building Auto Gyro Blades

Hi all, I have just caught the bug of model auto gyros however my first attempt to fly ended in disaster. (No one killed fortunately). I have rebuilt the fuselage and obtained some blades from aerobalsa in the States. I have balanced the blades length wise to find the c.o.g. Can some one tell me how I can find the position to locate the pivot hole. I have watched several of the u tube videos but this point is glossed over.
Noggy is offline Find More Posts by Noggy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:33 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
Autogyro blade making part 2 (5 min 5 sec)

Have a look at this video that Rich made a while ago ..It should help.
Happy Landings
Chris.......
britinoz is online now Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined May 2012
8 Posts
Thank you for that. I have seen this video, when he measured the 310mm to the pivot hole, how did he determine where the hole was? ie how far in from the inner end of the blade. On the video it appears that he just marked a spot and then measured back from the outer end. Apart from on the cofg, is it critical how far the pivot hole is?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:20 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,827 Posts
I think that you will find that 310 mm was just for that model.The CG is the critical point.
I don't believe that the location of the hole is critical as long as they are all the same.......allowing the blade room to fold back with out damaging any thing.
Chris.........
britinoz is online now Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:05 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Which model are you building these blades for? Your design or somebody elses.
Thanks,
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined May 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
I think that you will find that 310 mm was just for that model.The CG is the critical point.
I don't believe that the location of the hole is critical as long as they are all the same.......allowing the blade room to fold back with out damaging any thing.
Chris.........
Thanks Chris I was starting to come to that conclusion as I could find little information about the actual positioning of the holes
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined May 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
Which model are you building these blades for? Your design or somebody elses.
Thanks,
Joe
The PT 25 from aerobalsa
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Mar 2010
21 Posts
as the hole for the bolt is on the cord wise cg ,is it not just a case of measuring the same amount in from the blade tips on each blade
to make sure all the blades have the same radius

stan
soarapod is offline Find More Posts by soarapod
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:19 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,904 Posts
The spare blade sets from Flying balsa should be cut to size and pre drilled?

Spare blades link for the PT 25

Out of stock at the moment as are aerobalsa which have been out of stock for 12 months or more. I would email Flying Balsa and see what they recommend.

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Oops, real link for PT25 blades

(The error was caused by the link box sticking in "http://" and causing confusion).
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined May 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
Hi all, I have just caught the bug of model auto gyros however my first attempt to fly ended in disaster. (No one killed fortunately). I have rebuilt the fuselage and obtained some blades from aerobalsa in the States. I have balanced the blades length wise to find the c.o.g. Can some one tell me how I can find the position to locate the pivot hole. I have watched several of the u tube videos but this point is glossed over.
Thank you Chris and all. I have bitten the bullet and drilled the holes into the blades on the CoG line. I think I was being over technical before. I used an old blade (a bit deformed) to get the approximate distance in from the inner end of the blade. Only one way to find out and that is to FLY.