HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:24 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
Are those standoffs laminated balsa or ply? Either way, an idea worth remembering (stealing)

Pete G.
100% agree. The laminated plynth looks to be significantly more substantial than the commercial alloy 'legs' that are available, and probably weighs about the same. Also interested to know the lamination construction method for future use
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:52 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Pete and Sparks.

Nothing that complicated. Just scrap plywood doubled up to obtain the required spacing I needed.
Actually the plywood is Russian Birch. I have also seen it labelled as Baltic Birch.
It is metric measured and comes in around 18mm thick and 13 layers. Not quite 3/4".
The plywood is just some scrap pieces I had left over from when I built my folding field assembly stand. I picked up the Baltic birch plywood from the local Home Depot. Smaller sheets than the 4'x8' were available.

I am surprised no one has made a comment about the deck screws to hold the motor to the standoffs.

I do know the screws and standoffs work as I am using a similar setup in a 6s lipo system and have never had an issue.

I will post some more pics of the mount tomorrow.

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Last edited by Tomahawk; Apr 19, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:47 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Thanks Chris, good to know that I'm not alone in the preference of using whatever is to hand and available to solve a problem. Simple, free, cheap, easy are just a few of my watchwords
sparks
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:12 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Just adding a couple of additional pictures of the motor mount with motor attached.

The mount is secured only with screws in case I need to remove it and add down or side thrust. Two of the screws are hidden under the servo plate. As it stands now the motor is set at 0 degrees.

I also added some balsa wedges around the inside of the firewall for strength.

Chris
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:23 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Time to add an update to this thread.

With most of the front of the Falcon finished it is time to start the work on the tail feathers. Remember the Falcon is a free flight bird and I will be making a lot of changes to the next part of the build so there will be RC control. I will try to add as much detail to the thread with this part of the build of the changes I make. If you guys want extra details on this part do ask. The challenge is to add the control without loosing the original shape which makes it the Plecan Falcon. Also I want to minimize any control rods showing.

Starting with the tail ribs. Again from paper cutouts to the balsa ribs.

Chris
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:38 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Laminating up the leading edges for the stabilizer.

I must say for the size of the plane, the designer sure liked to use thick pieces of balsa.
The pic shows two 1/4" pieces being glued together to yield a 1/2" square leading edge that will be tapered down to 3/8" on the outer ribs.

Chris
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:05 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Notching the stabilizer ribs to the spar.

Note that I changed the 1/4" x 3/8" spar to popular from balsa.
I also moved the spar forward 3/4" from the original location so I will have room for the linkages and my fingers to install those linkages.

Chris
Old May 02, 2012, 02:09 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Have all the pieces cut out to assemble the stabilizer and have them nicely arranged for the picture.

As I did on the wing the leading and trailing edges are notched to accept the ribs. I decided to build the elevator width at 2 3/4" and have cut the necessary amounts off the ribs.
I will be building the elevator in two pieces with a wire joiner.
As you can see in the picture the three center ribs are first glued in place along with the wire joiner and sleeve.
The only other item to mention is the maple key I added for strength between the balsa leading edges where they will be joined together.

Chris
Old May 03, 2012, 02:32 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Seems to be one of those days that you can't get much accomplished on the build.

A few stab. ribs were glued in.

Chris
Old May 03, 2012, 02:42 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
The rest of the ribs are glued into place.

I haven't trimmed back the leading edge ends yet but I will be leaving a 3/16" extention past the last rib on each end of the stab.
You can see in the picture the two spars extending past the last rib already. The extensions will help orientate the fin to the correct position and will be a stronger joint by slotting into the fin, instead of just gluing the fin to the side of the last rib.

I will have to do a little trimming to the extentions at a later date.

Chris
Last edited by Tomahawk; May 04, 2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 07:32 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
The H Stab look like its going to be a solidly constructed member Chris. Nice work

sparks
Old May 04, 2012, 02:42 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
The H Stab look like its going to be a solidly constructed member Chris. Nice work

sparks
Hi Sparks

I am building the Stab a little more solidly than what I normally would. I am a little worried with the fins mounted to the ends of the stab. The fins are also the contact points for the tail section when the Falcon is resting on the ground.
I just have visions of something letting go if it is just a regular glue joint. That is why I am adding all the mortise and tenon joints.

Chris
Old May 05, 2012, 02:52 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
The right half elevator parts.

All glued together with some extra bits of balsa for strength.

Just note the allowance I had to make for the travel of the rudder.

Chris
Old May 06, 2012, 01:48 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Finished the other elevator half. It went together much faster.
Now we have the required two.

Worked on fitting the elevators to the stab. Wire joiner was a little out but everything looks nice and square now.

Chris
Old May 06, 2012, 05:07 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,999 Posts
Nice neat woodwork as always Chris.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer