New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2015, 06:11 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Diedrich
Ventress, Louisiana
Joined Oct 2007
121 Posts
Discussion
Diffent Foam Types

I am sure that others might be as confused as I am sometime, could the experts here clarify the difference between all of the foams used in our model jets, EPS, EPO, EPP. Mainly advantages & disadvantages.

Many Thanks,

Bill D.
Bill Diedrich is offline Find More Posts by Bill Diedrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2015, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
5,948 Posts
I can help with the first two types.
EPS is known as "beer cooler foam". Small beads, easy to sand and is brittle. A crash will likely cause many fractures. Epoxy is a good glue and PU or (gorilla glue) is good but don't use regular CA (melts the foam). Ideal foam if you are planning to fibreglass the model.
EPO is a rubbery foam with much larger beads. It will bend and wrinkle in a crash before breaking. Most recent models are made of EPO because of its crashworthyness. PU and CA glue works great. Epoxy doesn't stick very well unless you roughen up the surfaces and poke some holes. It can be hard to get paint to stick to EPO as well.
I don't know of any EDF jets that come in EPP. Someone else will have to chime in on its properties.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by Bill Diedrich
Ventress, Louisiana
Joined Oct 2007
121 Posts
Those 2 were mainly what I was looking for, many thanks.

Bill D.
Bill Diedrich is offline Find More Posts by Bill Diedrich