HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2003, 04:57 PM
Newcastle Australia
Joined Nov 2002
894 Posts
Park Flyer Legislation Australia

Help!!

Does anybody know or understand the new legislation for RC Aircraft including Parkflyers in australia?

Please Help

I need to know so I can get a competition off the ground for next xmas.

Ben
fatboywings is offline Find More Posts by fatboywings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2003, 11:03 PM
Newcastle Australia
Joined Nov 2002
894 Posts
what is the law

What are the laws for flying park flyers at your local park?
fatboywings is offline Find More Posts by fatboywings
Old Jan 08, 2003, 11:05 PM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,859 Posts
No state or federal laws exist that I know of. Check with your local municipality for the existence of an ordinance.

-enigmabomb-
enigmabomb is offline Find More Posts by enigmabomb
Old Jan 09, 2003, 12:36 AM
Got Lights?
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Joined Jul 2002
312 Posts
As long as you are not causing harm.. flying louder planes really late or chasing birds I would imagine you should be left alone. I know that our local 'school district xx' just passed a bylaw to say that flying and golfing are both in violation in our town (Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada). We also fly later and another law, the no trespassing on school district xx fields after 10pm has been the only thing we are sketchy about. We sometimes have a police car drop in on us.. as im going oh s**t what did we do?! they just want to come see it fly =) Blazin_Jason was flying his Beaver at night time with our Navigational Lights on them.. and someone from a couple blocks away drove over and offered to pay him cash to buy his plane because it looked so 'cool' with the lights.. So in summary.. you may as well go ahead, using judgement of course.. at least if it is 'not allowed' in your area they arent going to come up with a fine or handcuffs because im sure parkflyers are not a 'plaguing' problem in your town =)..

Regards,
Matthew J. Currie
mcu-electric is offline Find More Posts by mcu-electric
Old Jan 09, 2003, 01:27 AM
Fremont, CA.
Joined Jan 2003
42 Posts
Crash on cars, on people you pay Not to fly, I think, I'm not sure on top of houses or buildings, Roads and Highways. I think
A. Genovia is offline Find More Posts by A. Genovia
Old Jan 09, 2003, 03:49 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,334 Posts
If you find out let me know 'cause i fly about 20 minutes away from you (belmont) at the fields behind the sportsmans club.
I have been meaning to get back to you regards foam cores but i guess i'll see you at the slope meet on the 19th.
cheers
paul
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Jan 09, 2003, 05:01 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,928 Posts
I would be interested to know this information too. Maybe the CASA website would be a place to start.
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Jan 09, 2003, 05:38 AM
Melbourne City Hlpt, Australia
Joined Dec 2001
217 Posts
Contact the Model Aeronautical Association of Australia:
www.maaa.asn.au
Robert
rallen is offline Find More Posts by rallen
Old Jan 09, 2003, 08:45 AM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Most public lands in California have laws that can be used to stop you from flying RC. The State Parks, where I worked for 25 years, loosely interpret a hazardous activity section of the code to keep RC out except in specified locations. The reason for this is lawsuits. No land authority wants to be hit with a million dollar lawsuit because you crashed your screaming 60 powered fuelie into a bus load of school kids.

Trouble is, it is usually up to the discretion of the officer who contacts you as to whether you will be cited or not. You can check with the property authority to see if it is OK, but you will probably end up talking to some overly conservative middle management type.

I just fly (small and slow E-power) and expect to be able to talk my way out of trouble... "Officer, it's just a little TOY plane, what could it hurt?"

Good luck.
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Jan 09, 2003, 10:21 AM
San Pedro, CA
Joined Mar 2002
660 Posts
Fly until someone kicks you out. Most of the time people will stop by and ask questions about your planes and how to get started or comment how quiet the electric planes fly. I recently travelled 20 miles to fly at a huge public park and paid the entrance fee, only to discover that I could not fly there unless I had AMA, and belonged to the local flying club. That same day I joined the AMA (my negligence) but don't agree about joining the club to fly at a public park. Oh well

Dave
locomoto is offline Find More Posts by locomoto
Old Jan 09, 2003, 11:20 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
There are laws that prevent you from flying within a certain distance of airports and airfields, but beyond that as the others have mentioned it comes down to local covenants and ordinances. You should check with local law enforcement if you have any questions. Also note that if you fly on private property without permission, that's trespassing. It's unlikely you would be prosecuted over flying where you shouldn't be, but you might get warned off.

Overall I've found people quite open to the idea of electrics, I have never once had someone object to me flying in an area. In fact, people tend to enjoy watching the flying and come over to ask questions! And of course there's always someone that wants to fly my Hacker powered Switchback even though they've never touched a transmitter before
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jan 09, 2003, 11:33 AM
pfm
Patrick Mahoney
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Sep 2002
1,070 Posts
Where I'm from, Colorado, I am careful to fly in places and times that I don't think people will mind. Once I had a policeman approach me but he was interested in why it was so quiet (he'd been used to gas) and how much it costs. I haven't heard of any rules aside from avoiding airports.
pfm is offline Find More Posts by pfm
Last edited by pfm; Jan 09, 2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2003, 12:59 PM
Got Lights?
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Joined Jul 2002
312 Posts
== Most of the time people will stop by and ask questions about your planes and how to get started or comment how quiet the electric planes fly. ==

That reminds me.. you wouldnt beleive how many times we've heard "is that electric?" yelled from the darkness. =)

-Matt
mcu-electric is offline Find More Posts by mcu-electric
Old Jan 09, 2003, 01:39 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
10 years ago at the park i fly at now, i had the cops kick me out for flying 2 meter gliders, slow silent thermal gliders, now i fly something with a spinning sharp prop, and nobody complains, maybe its because of the increase in "toy" airplanes, 5 out of 10 times i fly, theres at least 4 kids there crashing firebirds, and im the one setting up a flight line and telling the kids the proper way to fly something at a park-like not flying in circles over your head while wandering around the middle of the field, a few cops have driven by, but not one has stopped to say anything.

the thing that probaly got me kicked out 10 years ago was night flying with gliders, 3 cylumes on the glider in a full moon, 30 minutes max and cops were there to investigate a ufo sighting
now a days it might be different, people seem more at ease with ufo's

and if a cop does stop and say something, ill whip out my AMA card

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Jan 09, 2003, 01:40 PM
Surrey BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
876 Posts
Well my municipalities law is this.

Motorized Toys
23. No person shall fly motorized model aircraft, sail motorized toy boats or drive or propel motorized toy vehicles within a park without the prior written permission of the General Manager, Parks, Recreation and Culture.

Also you can't drive them on the streets either. I tried that one and almost got a fine.
So basically I go to the neighbored municipality and fly there. We also have had police stop by and check out the action. Sometimes they are called there because dumb neighbors have called them with a UFO sighting. That is when we fly at night with the lights on. I just found that one of local municipality has given a club land to fly in one of there parks and it doesn't cost a arm and leg to join it, so that is what I am going to be doing this year. This years resolution try not break to many laws when playing with my hobbies.

One more thing. At least in Canada Maac insurance won't protect you if you are flying in a municipality that has one of these bylaws.
Gonzo007 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo007
Last edited by Gonzo007; Jan 09, 2003 at 01:44 PM.