HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Dec 2009
196 Posts
Discussion
Reasons For Stupid Crashes - add your experiences

Many reasons for stupid crashes!! Mostly User-Error - either laziness, complacency. But sometimes just bad luck (like freak exploding props!).

Part of the problem is it's a complex hobby. There are alot of mechanical and electrical things to check prior to each flight. Many batteries, connectors and wires! It's easy to miss something.
So some crashes and problems are where I have missed a lose screw or flat battery, failed launches, extreme flying breaking something, freak part failure, etc.

I have flown a lot of different aircraft, and I usually fly the hard. When you type up most of the crashes you can remember into a list it looks a lot! But each time you learn something new!!

In summary, first flight do LOS to set the plane up AND to record and check the video signal. I prefer to do all launches LOS. (I can do FPV, but LOS 100% success, FPV 80%!). Check everything often!!

Trex 500
1st ever FPV flight. Lost video after 20M!
Should’ve done a range check.
When testing a new setup I always do LOS flights first whilst recording the video signal from my ground station

Easy Glider Pro.
Lost video shortly after launch and crashed. Problem was tall bushes too close to me and lost video LOS.
Solution: choose better launch site!

Launched FPV. As camera is pointing at sky during the climb, lost attitude reference and crashed!
Solution: I now do all my launches LOS then put goggles on when in stable flight!

T-rex 450
Crash 1: camera mount came loose, so camera ended up pointing vertically down! So hard to keep straight attitude!
Solution: always check your screws. Thread lock!
Crash 2: Flight pack wasn’t fully charged. Managed to bring it down OK though.
Solution: check your packs are charged!
Crash 3: Heavyish landing. Slight bounce on landing and flipped the heli over!
Also severally minor crashes where tail just hit the ground a little and stripped the tail gear.
I used to land all my heli flights FPV. But now I land all heli FPV flights LOS.

Quads…

Gaui 330SX.
Several crashes.
All due to glitch GU344 controller. Occasionally twitches to the left. I never found a solution, so I assume it was bad design.
Solution: bought DJI Naza!
One crash: many problems, but the main ones are, wind too strong and didn’t have to power to prevent drift downwind, then the battery started to lose power. Lost orientation, then video signal! Lost in a field. But it got recovered as I had my phone number on there.
Solution: be aware of the wind! Try and stay upwind, so if you lose power you can always return home with the wind!!

Funjet
I did a loop – when was at the top of the loop lost power to the servos! And nosed straight to the ground!
I think that the flight pack got pulled out of the ESC(/BEC) due to the extra G loading.
Solution: Be aware that when you do a 60degree turn, the weight of everything doubles! So when you stick stuff down remember that the really weight of your flight packs is often higher than when in straight and level flight.
DJI NAZA/F450
Prop just exploded!
Nothing I could’ve done there.

General
Lots of ‘Pan Pan’ near crashes.
Transmitter beeping!!! Low battery so had to race home several times.
Fighting wind to get home do to insufficient power (and high winds!).
Lots of near crashes launching FPV, but regaining attitude at the last second.
Narrowly missing the ground or trees when doing crazy flying!
Stalling!! (too slow, sharp turns or pull-ups).
Broken servo horns on rudder.
Rudder direction incorrect on a maiden LOS test flight!! (LOL).
Video goggles steaming up.
I had the tripod fall over after an enthusiast launch! I yanked the cable as I threw the plane and it tipped the tripod/antenna over!
hazchem88 is offline Find More Posts by hazchem88
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:33 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
1,885 Posts
I created a pre-flight checklist to go over whenever I fly my biggest, most loaded and expensive plane (Multiplex Mentor). I really should go over that list whenever I fly my other FPV planes, but often I don't. I DO have a habit of making a quick check of power, video signal, wires all tight, no loose flight control surfaces and so on.

That being said, I've done alot of stupid crashes! Which is why I've developed the habits and check list! LOL.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:25 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,707 Posts
Generally the biggest cause of "issues" is a clash between expectations and reality.
"I am *going* to fly today!" even though the wind is blowing 20mph and you forgot your
recorder at home, may or may not have fully charged the battery in your goggles, and changed
some components without range testing.. etc.

I created a checklist of all the pre-flight, setup, and post-flight stuff, including possible
failure points to double-check, but it's so massive, I can't bring myself to go through it most of the time.
I do try to have backups for almost everything. Extra Rx, antennas, RCA connectors, power
splitters, batteries, SD cards, recorders, etc, and don't keep em all in the same place so that if
I forget one bag of FPV gear at home, I still have enough spares to fly safely.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right.....
Pleasanton, Ca
Joined Feb 2007
163 Posts
Not checking control surfaces pre flight, over shooting landing spots and overall pilot error seems to contribute to most of my crashes.

Short video highlighting my FPV EasyStar crashes (1 min 33 sec)
Teamwoody is offline Find More Posts by Teamwoody
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:27 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
The one thing I always do now, before even leaving to go fly is change the model memory to the plane I'll be flying.

A few times taking off with the wrong model selected was enough!
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:11 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,243 Posts
hahaha good thread!!

A few of the Aussie FPV guys would remember my crash which they will never let me forget!!

We were flying off the headland at Thirroul on Sydney Australia's beautiful south coast, with about 5 of us enjoying the still morning coastal air. I had just managed to get all my video gear working and was chatting to one of the guys (Narcas) about how manouvrable the SW was even with a big 8000mah 4 cell in its guts running a 980kv motor and 9x6 prop. I said to him "yeah mate, she flies really well, check out its roll rate" which i had previously played with but not on 4 cell. I ramped up the throttle and proceeded to pull off what i thought would be a really nice roll above the surf with surfers and beach goers onlooking with Awe. When it got around to about half way (inverted almost) the throttle decided to ramp up even further and pushed the nose straight towards the water. I tried to pull out with a half loop but could see the wings almost touch together so let the elevator go and proceed to watch my full rig nose dive about 1.5m deep into the surf! It came back up out of the water like when you hold down a soccer ball or anything inflated under water in a pool then let it go. It came up out of the surf a good meter off the water then just floated there like a nce seaplane. A really nice surfer dude (coastal people in Aus do look out for eachother alot more than their city counterparts) went in and pulled it up onto the sand as he could see me running (well, limping) along the beach due to my bung right knee. When i got there i thanked them imensely and quickly pulled the battery out. It was fine, not a drop of water on it, but the ESC had started a fire just under the wing but choked itself out as quick as it started.

The motor, Rangelink RX, batteries and my pixim Seawolf 690TVL were the only things to survive unscathed. The plane itself had no damage whatsoever which was a really good testament to how strong the SW really is.

So now when flying with the same guys, the saying "check out its roll rate" seems to be the cursed saying as on the same day another guy said that before plowing in his Tricopter. I'll try to steer clear of that phrase for a long time, but i doubt i'll ever live down the crash, cause even now 2 months on im still getting crap for it!!!

Now the SW is just waiting on a new radio then i should be good to go!!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:15 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamwoody View Post
Not checking control surfaces pre flight, over shooting landing spots and overall pilot error seems to contribute to most of my crashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIU7P...87AUAAAAAAAKAA
Hey mate, at about 1:10 in that video, what are the two things that look like wharves/pontoons sticking out off the hill? Im guessing they are solar water heaters for the pool nearby, is that right?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
Slower Traffic Keep Right.....
Pleasanton, Ca
Joined Feb 2007
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hey mate, at about 1:10 in that video, what are the two things that look like wharves/pontoons sticking out off the hill? Im guessing they are solar water heaters for the pool nearby, is that right?
Yes solar panels for pool.
Teamwoody is offline Find More Posts by Teamwoody
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:39 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,967 Posts
launched a fast wing at WOT
control horn caught my jacket
first plane i've garbage bag totaled since 2003

bad morning lol
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:57 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
launched a fast wing at WOT
control horn caught my jacket
first plane i've garbage bag totaled since 2003

bad morning lol
LOL that sucks...

Here is my effort -
Flying around and an insect landed on my leg, no problem just ignoring it...
Next minute it starts biting me !?!?!?
I take my hand off the TX and go to swipe it really fast but the RCA cable was wrapped around my hand or something stupid and I ripped the video straight out of the goggles...
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
New in all but 20Y hobbyist
Gratens, little place around Toulouse...
Joined Dec 2007
398 Posts
No more tail gear stripping problems with this...

Hi there;

As you, i get rid of stripping my gears. I preffer to kill my blades :-)

Here is a sample of the 10 tail gears i have produced for you.

There are only 10, and been made with 7075 "Fortal' Aluminium, suitable for White and Black DELRIN.

If you want one, just PM me...
lothar2048 is offline Find More Posts by lothar2048
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:41 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,373 Posts
If using a pan/tilt system, make sure you glue the video cable into the video camera. I'll let you deduce what happened.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
572 Posts
The first time I tryed my new DX6i TX, I did not notice that the elevator should be set to reverse. So when I handlaunched the plane, it went straight into the ground

- Kim -
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,073 Posts
4 ft plane - 3 foot hole. Done that a few times.

Tree skimming in the fall or winter - The trees seem to suddenly grow on you due to lack of definition. Whack!

In most case my crashes are due to overconfidence. I have many hours behind the sticks, so I tend to fly extremely aggressively. It's easy to get complacent and assume you can do anything...

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:23 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,507 Posts
Cool thread!!

Similar to the guys above... I had just finished rebuilding a P51 that I had driven into goal posts while "training" another guy on how to belly land (That's another story) when I didn't check the model memory.

Throttled up and threw it nice, but when I pulled full elevator it nose dived into Terra Firma!!

She now hangs as testament to my stupidity from my workshop ceiling!! LOL!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member