Old Nov 23, 2014, 07:14 PM
Beno
Australia, SA, Plympton
Joined Sep 2011
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
I'm glad we don't grow up.... Lol.
For sure mate, what fun would that be? hahahaha.

It's the closest I'll get to flying a real WWII fighter, so a man has got to do what a man has got to do.

Regards Ben
CustomKid is offline Find More Posts by CustomKid
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM
Joined Nov 2014
12 Posts
G'day Kevin,
Mate, I am very sorry to have skipped over your post and that was very rude of me not to have answered your question.
We pay between $ 350 - $390 AUS$ for a P-51.
I have checked the overseas options and for me to get one from RC Castle works out about five dollars more than getting one from my preferred hobby shop and I can simply visit the shop or call them if I have a problem. I can get to check the contents of the box before taking it home as well.
I forgot to mention that my preferred hobby shop is a quick six hour return drive which is nothing in a country this big!
Some of my fellow club members were saying that they were getting stuff from the UK and I have a sister in law there but, holy empty wallet Batman, do you blokes pay through the nose for your gear
You seem to be paying in pounds what we pay in dollars and the pound is worth two dollars.
I am happy to be whinging about our price of things
All the best Kevin and, again, I am sorry for skipping your post.
Regards and respect
Daryl
bailoutguys is offline Find More Posts by bailoutguys
Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM
Swindon, Wiltshire, England
United Kingdom, England, Swindon
Joined Dec 2013
26 Posts
Hi daryl
Thanks for the info. It made me feel good to know that we in the uk not only get the kits 6 to 12 months after you with minimum choice but also pay double the price and to finish me off we don't have your weather. ��

Thank goodness we enjoy this pastime. Apart from the p51 which of the other gems warbirds would you recommend for flying off grass and why. This questions open to all forum members. I am interested in getting another model but are concerned about the gear on fNS models
kevin osman is offline Find More Posts by kevin osman
Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM
Beno
Australia, SA, Plympton
Joined Sep 2011
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin osman View Post
Hi daryl
Thanks for the info. It made me feel good to know that we in the uk not only get the kits 6 to 12 months after you with minimum choice but also pay double the price and to finish me off we don't have your weather. ��

Thank goodness we enjoy this pastime. Apart from the p51 which of the other gems warbirds would you recommend for flying off grass and why. This questions open to all forum members. I am interested in getting another model but are concerned about the gear on fNS models
FMS 1400 FW-190 you would struggle to nose it over in a cornfield let alone grass. Have a look at the photo's and check out the forward rake on it. Very good for grass.

Regards Ben
CustomKid is offline Find More Posts by CustomKid
Old Yesterday, 05:41 AM
Joined Feb 2013
70 Posts
Hey Kevin ! You couldn't go wrong with an FW190 for flying off grass. Big wheels and it flys very well
Blisters is offline Find More Posts by Blisters
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
159 Posts
Scary moment and almost a total disaster. I had a total brownout after gear and flaps down. The plane landed hard uncontrolled in a parking lot. Thankfully the damage only consists of The drop tanks breaking off, both gear doors breaking, spinner and props scratched and small dings in the wing. The right gear stops retracting half way through and it may have seized on extension and caused the brownout on the spectrum ar6400. I Order d a BEC from castle. It could have been way worse. I'm lucky it landed where it did.
goodstick is offline Find More Posts by goodstick
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
Medical IT Geek
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
574 Posts
Hey Shirty!

Thanks a lot for the link to dambit's thread!
He has FMS 190's and is doing a conversion, but what's interesting is he suggests Styrospray as a hard shell coating over foam.

From what I can tell from a few minutes of web research, this stuff adds a lot of strength, but I'm interested in finding out how much weight it adds. It doesn't seem to be available anywhere else but direct from the company.

Kevin Osman: I also agree the FMS FW 190 has large enough wheels for good performance off grass. As far as your concerns about the gear on FMS models. I can attest to an issue with a weld failure on my Petie 2nd which was documented here on in another thread.

Jim
Syntax is offline Find More Posts by Syntax
Last edited by Syntax; Yesterday at 08:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodstick View Post
Scary moment and almost a total disaster. I had a total brownout after gear and flaps down. The right gear stops retracting half way through and it may have seized on extension and caused the brownout on the spectrum ar6400. I Order d a BEC from castle. It could have been way worse. I'm lucky it landed where it did.
Goodstick... I can't believe you would fly the P-51 with all the servos and retracts without a castle BEC
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
Medical IT Geek
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Jul 2007
574 Posts
Kevin Osman:

You asked about landing gear issues.
Well here is an issue I found with the landing gear on my Petie 2nd.
Since then I've upgraded to the new version of these struts with (reportedly) a stronger weld and I've had no problems. As I wrote in the link above, I believe the basic construction is the same with the newer version struts, but quality control was probably added to the welding process.
Syntax is offline Find More Posts by Syntax
Last edited by Syntax; Yesterday at 09:06 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM
mkpatrick
Joined Mar 2011
1,430 Posts
I'm considering buying a V8.
I have no other Mustangs.

What are the main detractors to buying this plane? What are the things that need improving right out of the box?
I will continue reading the thread but I have to make a decision soon so I was hoping for a couple tips and clues.

BTW, do the wings remove easily on this plane? Do they have the FMS single plug? Are they one piece or two pieces that slide onto a spar?
mkpatrick is offline Find More Posts by mkpatrick
Old Today, 12:58 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
Goodstick... I can't believe you would fly the P-51 with all the servos and retracts without a castle BEC
Learned my lesson. Luckily I have a spare gear servo and although the other gear was ripped out, it wasn't damaged and is glued back in place. My First brownout. I was able to get some control just before the crash but it was out of sight by then for the most part so that helped steer it by luck out of the woods. It was dead in flight for about 10 seconds I would estimate.
goodstick is offline Find More Posts by goodstick
Old Today, 06:31 AM
Swindon, Wiltshire, England
United Kingdom, England, Swindon
Joined Dec 2013
26 Posts
I am going to fly my p51 v8 with a spectrum dx8 and ar636 receiver ( includes as3x). Do I need a Bec as well and if so where does it fit in the wire diagram?
kevin osman is offline Find More Posts by kevin osman
Old Today, 10:53 AM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpatrick View Post
I'm considering buying a V8.
I have no other Mustangs.

What are the main detractors to buying this plane? What are the things that need improving right out of the box?
I actually have a V7.5, but the basic assembly is the same. I found that the tubes in the wings that accept the CF and aluminum spars were not recessed enough, and there was a significant gap between the wing sections. Careful use of a Dremel-type grinder took care of that. Once that was done, the plastic plates that span the two wing halves fit nicely, and allowed the four screws to easily mate the fuselage. The instructions I have say to glue those in, but don't say to glue the mating surfaces of the wing halves - I did both, as I don't plan to separate the wing halves for transport.
The other thing I noted was that the foam elevator 'hinge' was very thick and stiff, causing the control horn side to move more than the other, so I cut it and inserted pinned hinges. In doing so, I discovered that FMS had painted the hinge area with a flexible glue, to keep it from splitting too quickly; I assume the other hinges were similarly treated. The others aren't as stiff, so I haven't re-hinged them, yet, but the flap hinges are very thin, and may need to be done. Since I generally don't trust foam hinges, even reinforced ones, I'll probably end up inserting pinned hinges in all before first flight, if only for my peace of mind.

EDIT: after finding and reading a V7.5 thread, it seems I probably have a V8 in a V7 box, because I have the slide-out battery tray and hard-point vertical tail mounts. Hmm ...
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Last edited by Wintr; Today at 12:10 PM.