HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2013, 10:19 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Enkhuizen
Joined Jul 2007
624 Posts
Idea
Artificial slope for micro flyers ???

I've had this idea for a while now being an avid Sloper and also loving small scale to mix both on an artificial slope I could use on the flight field. We nearly always have wind and in the diagram below you can see the actual flight club and most common indicated wind direction.

My idea is to use 2 cars with ground sheeting or similar to create a 5-10 meter / 15-30 foot slope by weighing down the contact point on the ground. Much like the side of a tent.

Then to use our micro planes and open designs to other micro slopers that are often to small for real sloping winds.

Anyone done this before? Not claiming it's an "original idea" but I've not personally seen it done. Would love to see it in action though!
stonerscolony is online now Find More Posts by stonerscolony
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2013, 11:16 AM
I want it to go fast...
San Diego
Joined Sep 2006
797 Posts
I thought a few of those fans they use to dry out carpet pointed at the artificial hill could give you enough as well.

Actually I wanted to do it on a tennis court...hang the artificial hill off the net some how. That way I could fly at night.
c0dem0nkey is offline Find More Posts by c0dem0nkey
Old May 31, 2013, 11:29 AM
Joined Jul 2007
624 Posts
now your in my boat!!! (as we say lol)

Well I have 2 designs to play with and will be testing tonight for micro sloping, I just need the wind to go down a little which it's forecast to do.

I have more promise in the Depron version thinking the balsa is best for chucking up and having fun with. Regardless when I have a version that can be used on a 1-2 meter slope then I'm going to try the artificial slope idea
Old May 31, 2013, 11:31 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0dem0nkey View Post
I thought a few of those fans they use to dry out carpet pointed at the artificial hill could give you enough as well.

Actually I wanted to do it on a tennis court...hang the artificial hill off the net some how. That way I could fly at night.
I had similar thoughts. Lay plastic over bleachers (stadium seating); add fans...I pictured several of the cheap window fans in a row. I thought it would be cool to do indoor sloping in the winter. Real light gliders using Park Zone Vapor type brick.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old May 31, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Jul 2007
624 Posts
Well I have to use 2S except on the Balsa version which is 1S 130mAh Nine Eagles lipo which I stripped down to a servo plug connection and it's total weight is now 3.8g lol

For 2S I bought some of these using my credit points :

Turnigy nano-tech 180mah 2S 25~40C Lipo Pack - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...798&aff=468244

13g including connectors.
Old May 31, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Jul 2007
624 Posts
ok weather man is lying if this is BFT 2 then I'm Santa!

Did show me (over the slope) it glides nice

FaTedev Micro Depron HLG (0 min 11 sec)
Old May 31, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Jul 2007
624 Posts
The small balsa one got blown into a tree lol. I'm sticking with the depron one and improving some problems I found like the wing is too flexible, holding it to launch is a pain, the lipo had little surface area to velcro stick on.

So I've added a 2MM carbon fibre rod on the LE to brace the wing (a little extra nose weight wouldn't go a miss anyway). Added a small plywood plate on the nose for the lipo to sit on properly and lastly a small block of balsa on the bottom taped over to hold onto for launching.

Now I'll wait for a slightly lower wind day and try again, I need a proven micro sloper to try the artificial sloping idea.
Old May 31, 2013, 06:07 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerscolony View Post
My idea is to use 2 cars with ground sheeting or similar to create a 5-10 meter / 15-30 foot slope by weighing down the contact point on the ground. Much like the side of a tent.
No need for the groundsheet - and better still - use a big truck instead of the cars - big container lorry (its the height you need, not the slopey-bit) - and sloping big trucks has been done with DLGs & Alulas - theres video out there somewhere...

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old May 31, 2013, 06:31 PM
Joined Jul 2007
624 Posts
I have a car not a truck not to mention we can't take trucks on the field.

The idea was to increase the slope area span for more area to move.
Old May 31, 2013, 07:01 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,095 Posts
Looks like a micro DS site- SpeedsterDen would be tearing that one up
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old May 31, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Jul 2007
624 Posts
this is the dyke wall just next to the flight club. The wind is often the other way where the slope is more shallow.

Either way it's why I want micro sloper
Old Jun 01, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Jul 2007
624 Posts
Tomorrow is forecast for BFT 3 which I'm willing to try. Will also be going to the flight club to maiden my SpeedFreak IV and fly my glider so I may try asking some of the pilots to park in a line side on to the wind and see if that works.