HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:45 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
I am not confused about how gyros function. I used them over 30 years ago in .30 to .50 size glow powered heliesand a Kalt Wispher (the first electric with CP). I use them in my present electric helis I also use a FMA Co Pilot 2.

Say what you want and if you have a specific need for them they are great but if I could not adjust the gyro's gain and if I could not cut the CO pilot off I would not be using them.

To help stabilize a RPV or a flying camera platfom they are great , to make a heli a lot easier to fly they are great, to make KE ,hovering etc. easier they are great but at times they get in the way.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,149 Posts
Charles,
I also dont like gyros, just fly a plane in the simulator with one.

But as3x, the gains are much lower than normal gyros, little coupling issues are gone, like speed-pitch coupling etc, but the gain is low enough that you have an entirely normal stall(just a bit smoother), you still need rudder and elevator for knife edge and slow rolls, just a less. It doesn't feel like three gyros, it feels normal, it helps where you want it(wind, roll stability, rudder stability, gentler stall, smooth landing and hand launches, etc) and is not as effective when you don't want it(rudder for knife edge, slow rolls, rolling circles, snaps, hammerhead, stalls, zero speed-pitch coupling, no p-factor or gyroscopic effect, etc).
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:54 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Thermal and slope pilots don't need an indicator
You do when you have a lipo in it. Otherwise how are you going to know when you pass the low voltage and kill the pack?

I have a 4cell nimh 800mah in my weasel and I get about 2-2.5 hours out of a pack. In a bigger bird I have a lipo pack but that needs to run a regulator as well as a lipo alarm and a visible pack indicator under the canopy, but its just a 2m histart bird of time, so I never have it up for more than 20min at the most. Otherwise on my unpowered planes they all run regular packs.
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Feb 07, 2012, 04:37 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Way off. Spenser Listenby set a record of 468 the broke it with a flight of over 480. For small stuff at low speed SpeedsterDen does some neat flying on the back side of sand dunes in Denmark. He also has a video or two of DSing the drop off on the side of a road. Most of his slow speed DSing is with the Alula.

Listenby manufactures the Kinetic series but an all out DS plane fully equipped is at least a couple of thou and if you make a mistake the crash gives a new meaning to the word total.

Speeds are measured on the upslope against the wind because it's the only place they can be radared. The estimated airspeed on Listenby's fastest run was around 550 mph.

They also turn at about 50 to 70 g and they make a might roar. You can hear the change in noise as they cross the shear line.

If you're skeptical go check out the DS forum. These guys are for real.

Pete

WOW!!!!!! I stand corrected!!! I had NO idea the DS speeds had gotten up soooo high!!!! Seems like only 3-4yrs ago speeds were in the range of 240-260,, but maybe it's been longer. Havnt kept up lately. I'm gona check it out :-)
So I wonder if this little guy could DS??? :-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Feb 07, 2012, 04:43 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
You do when you have a lipo in it. Otherwise how are you going to know when you pass the low voltage and kill the pack?

I have a 4cell nimh 800mah in my weasel and I get about 2-2.5 hours out of a pack. In a bigger bird I have a lipo pack but that needs to run a regulator as well as a lipo alarm and a visible pack indicator under the canopy, but its just a 2m histart bird of time, so I never have it up for more than 20min at the most. Otherwise on my unpowered planes they all run regular packs.
You should be able to work out the consumption rate and set the timer on your Tx.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
I should, and am able to on the 9303, but what about the newbie's flying off a dx5e? This is a mass marketed plane, many who are not in the business of timing flights, or working out consumption times, ect, ect. There has got to be something.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 06:21 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
I should, and am able to on the 9303, but what about the newbie's flying off a dx5e? This is a mass marketed plane, many who are not in the business of timing flights, or working out consumption times, ect, ect. There has got to be something.
A 4ch scale glider is hardly being aimed at the beginner end of the market and nor will it be bought by any.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Feb 07, 2012, 06:38 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
You cannot tell me that they are not going to sell it to beginners as well, thats just ludicrous, it Horizon Hobby for god sake, they make it easy . You can bind it to the dx4e and dx5e, which both don't have timers, and there are going to be people who use these to fly them. Heck I'll probably pick up a 4e or 5e to throw in the trunk with the glider so I don't have to leave my radio in there at all times. That and how many people who buy this are going to remember or even set there timer every time

. And unless it is stated in the manual to set a timer there has to be another way to not go below the LVC, I could not believe that they are going to sell it without something like that, otherwise they are going to end up replacing a ton of batteries right off the bat from people not timing there flights or running the pack to low.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:04 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
My guess is that without a motor to run the battery will last a long, long time.

If there's room you can stick the 200 mAh battery in. 200 mAh at 7.2 v is 1440 mW which is a lot of mW's to drive four teeny tiny servos just a little at a time even if you do aerobatics on a ridge all the time.

I am not going to worry about it. I've flown my 1S J3 and Champ for really long periods of time WITH the motor running though not full throttle. The ASK-21 uses a 2S battery and no motor.

If they put an audio low voltage signal in you probably won't hear it anyway!

Edit: practical limits. My longest thermal flights have been around 45 minutes. Maybe I get tired quickly or I don't like getting a stiff neck, but my personal endurance is probably less than the ASK. I may have to get a lounge chair to do some serious testing.

Pete

I think you meant to say 1S battery for the ASK-21, Pete. I had to check the specs just to make sure.

Yeah, I'm guessing the battery capability for a flight is going to exceed my comfortable neck and eye ball capability which is only about 30 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if the instructions mention something about recommended total flight time limits for a battery. Of course, that's only going to help if someone reads the instructions.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Last edited by DaveG; Feb 07, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:13 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
When it thermals out of site, did I read the instructions
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:20 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
There you go, if I have the little ASK thermal out of sight, I'll blame the instructions, whether I read them or not.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:30 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
You cannot tell me that they are not going to sell it to beginners as well, thats just ludicrous, it Horizon Hobby for god sake, they make it easy . You can bind it to the dx4e and dx5e, which both don't have timers, and there are going to be people who use these to fly them. Heck I'll probably pick up a 4e or 5e to throw in the trunk with the glider so I don't have to leave my radio in there at all times. That and how many people who buy this are going to remember or even set there timer every time

. And unless it is stated in the manual to set a timer there has to be another way to not go below the LVC, I could not believe that they are going to sell it without something like that, otherwise they are going to end up replacing a ton of batteries right off the bat from people not timing there flights or running the pack to low.
Can't see beginners getting one of these, not with the other 'sexier' options they have. But even if you're right, it's buyer beware. People need to understands what they are getting into.

Maybe HH will put a paragraph about it in the manual, which no one will read. If people flatten their lipos it will be their own fault.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Feb 07, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:40 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
Might have to install a back up battey! A new E-FLITE 200mAh 1S 3.7V 30C LiPo will help for longer flights!
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:57 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
hmmmm, one possible question (or problem) One would think about is...... BIRDS! this thing is about the size of a small bird and especially since there's no annoying brushed motor or whirr from a park 180 to scare the birds off. I wonder if birds may get really aggressive towards it. I wonder how many eagles or falcons may make dinner out of the glider.

"horizon help line, how may I help you"
"yes a bird ate my glider''
"well do you still have the plane"
"no, Its in the falcon's stomach"
"hmmmm, well can you ship the falcon in the ASK box back to us for a replacement?"
"Sure, I think he'll fit nicely in the box"
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:05 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
Hi Faom and Tape,
Now thats Funny They still chase my Hobie, just keep out of there way! Just send them a box of Feathers!!