HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:49 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2005
13 Posts
New To Heli

Hi there !!

I've never flown helis before just in the RF G2 sim and becouse my wallet i may not get into helis in at least 6 months or more ,
and i was wondering, maybe for people that have this sim too ,
How well do you think i would do on a real one ... I am hovering inverted already and like last week i started to hover inverted with the heli facing any direction, before i could do it just with the model facing to me, ...plus rolls, loops landings .
All this with no wind sett ,then i add 10 mph wind and gust to half way on the slider and i can fly too just that I can't cut the grass cos wind gusts take the model up or down at any moment .

And another question How good the Century Helis are? i like the Scale ones they have , any pros and cons on them ? their website doesnt really give you much info in what you are paying for and feels a bit confusing .Thanks

Christian.

Darn i meant to write this in the Heli Fuel forum ( I m not really into E- 's)
Can someone move it there Thanks again .
CHRIST75 is offline Find More Posts by CHRIST75
Last edited by CHRIST75; Feb 21, 2005 at 12:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:42 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
The thing is, if you go to flying real heli's, it isn't really more challenging, but the thing is, with the fake ones, you don't worry about crashing. you'll get nervous flying realy ones, but you get over that. Century heli's, like the raven and falcon have pretty good reputations and are pretty nicely priced. another option would be a raptor 30. no scale for now, just get a basic pod and boom, get over the heavy crashing period, and then you can fly scale. I always fly my real flight ( although, I don't use it very often) with a lot of wind, and variable direction. it's too easy without it, I think.

Rhett
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Feb 21, 2005, 06:10 PM
Republic of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
613 Posts
RF-G2 is pretty good, and pretty realistic in the differences of how each heli behaves. One of the main things your learing is hand/eye coordination. The real test is in your ability to recover from somehting you didn't intend to do. With the real heli there is no reset button.

james
j911brick is offline Find More Posts by j911brick
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:51 PM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
Christian,

Go pod and boom for starters. Scale helis are heavier and hard to set up, harder to fly and VERY fragile compared to say a Raptor or Sceadu.

If you REALLY want to go that route for a first heli, go for something like a Centrury Schweizer (Huges 300). It's basically a standard basic heli with a scale canopy and fins on it. Looks good, handles well and parts are easy to get. Most importantly with all the mechanics easily reached, they are easy to setup and maintain. On the detailed scale machines I fly, it can take up to an hour just to do something simple like change the glow plug and usually requires removal of lots of bodywork. It's a take home job.

-Tim
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:36 AM
Joined Jun 2004
356 Posts
I am hovering inverted already and like last week i started to hover inverted with the heli facing any direction, before i could do it just with the model facing to me, ...plus rolls, loops

Chris

Iwish you all the luck in the world; and I sincerly mean that;
but--I've seen young fellows that used a sim; get a heli and were flying circuts in 30 minutes.
On the other hand; I've seen guys shake so bad on their first trys at hovering that they couldn't hold a transmitter.

best advice is check to see what the locals are flying; and get what they fly;---you will need their help.
melvonnar is offline Find More Posts by melvonnar