SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2014, 04:10 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Build Log
Zagi-33 HP

Well, since I could find very little about recent Zagi builds, I thought I'd make one as I just purchased the Zagi-33 HP found here: link.

Here is what comes in the box and I was pleasantly surprised! The picture on the site shows brands I'm not familiar with but I figured for $150, who cares? I received a Thunder Power lipo and a Castle Creations ESC, both of which are top notch and my personal favorites! Bonus.

Everything was nicely packaged in a small box and arrived undamaged. So far, I'd give this kit a 10/10 for Price, Quality, and Shipping.

Progress to follow.

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2014, 04:31 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Another nice feature of this kit is that the ESC and Lipo have all the proper connections already soldered and shrinkwrapped! I'm pretty certain these products normally come with tinned tips and no connectors so I assume Trick Wings did this for me. While I have no problem soldering my own stuff, this is a nice feature. One more nice touch to an already nice kit.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:30 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Sanded the wings lightly as per the manual but gluing the wings and carbon spar in was done with 30 min epoxy. They say to use 77 Spray Adhesive but while that may work, I put my faith in epoxy. Tried and True. I'm not concerned about flexibility and durability as I have no intention of crashing this wing like I've seen and heard so many others doing. Even if I crash, the wing root and spar being rigid should be protected by the surrounding foam acting like a bumper.

Personally, I think a rigid wing would perform aerodynamically better than a rubbery flexible one ANY day.

Eric
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:24 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Mounted up all the electronics. Pretty strait forward, the bays are already pre cut so you can adjust to the size of the servos and receiver. HS81s fit perfectly.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 01:24 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Covered it with the tape supplied. Worked fairly well.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:14 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,712 Posts
Were the razor blades included in the kit?

I was freaking out at the title. "Who ever heard of a 33 HORSEPOWER flying wing! Awesome!" Imagine my disappointment......

Can't wait to hear how she flies.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:45 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Well, I didn't come up with the name, but I can see what you mean hehe.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:06 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Done!

Wasn't too hard, this could easily be done in a single weekend, took me only 2-3 nights working on it for a few hours.

Overall Build Review: 8/10

Material quality: 10/10 (high end brands, foam is nice, and all metal clevises)
Covering material: 5/10 (tape is cheap and easy but doesn't look very good)
Price: 9/10 (pretty good bang for your buck, only need servos+rx)
Instructions: 9/10 (Good manual, slightly off here and there but no issues at all)

Flight report to follow.

Eric
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:30 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
AUW, built stock, came to 545g/19.2oz which is only 0.7oz away from the manuals "target" weight of 18.5oz which is probably the closest I've ever came to a manufacturer's advertised weight.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 04:06 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
This morning it was snowing but calm so I decided to fly before work. First flight went almost without incident. First two hand launches ate snow as it was out of trim, no surprise there. Once it got airborne it handled real nice, unlimited power, but not super fast. I was hoping for more speed but that can easily be accomplished by changing props. The canopy hatch almost blew off too, one more thing I'm not very keen on about this kit, but easily modded.

All in all, a very good airplane for the price. Certainly durable and no bad tendencies.

Overall Review: 9/10.

Eric
Old Nov 14, 2014, 05:19 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,712 Posts
Super! What did you say that white stuff all over the ground was? Some kind of "landing" cushion for trim flights? Wonder how I'd go about getting some here.......

Very nice. Don't get to see real Zagis around here very much any more.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:55 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Haha yes! When I landed it literally "surfed" the snow losing very little speed. I had to stick my foot out to stop it whizzing past me hehe.

Only downside, at negative temperatures (Fahrenheit) it didn't take long for the hands to call it quits.

Eric
Old Nov 15, 2014, 09:09 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Haha yes! When I landed it literally "surfed" the snow losing very little speed. I had to stick my foot out to stop it whizzing past me hehe.

Only downside, at negative temperatures (Fahrenheit) it didn't take long for the hands to call it quits.

Eric
I've done that on sand but for snow to get that abrasive you have to get below zero temperatures. Then they're pretty much the same kind of surface.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 06:15 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Video of today's flight. Really only the launch and landing, pretty hard to film something like this.

Flying wing (1 min 27 sec)

It was a warm 6 degrees today!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 08:47 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Well after the stock setup proved to work I have now started modding.

First thing to go was the tape covering... couldn't stand it. It is now covered in a light silver iron on covering. It worked fine, just had to be careful.

Second was I reinforced the wing with spars embedded into the wings (full length) as the wing was super flexible, too much imo.

Third was to remove the velcro attachment system for the canopy as it nearly blew off multiple times and now have a hook on the front and magnets in the back. Easy and super secure.

Here it is almost finished. I went for a military drone kind of look.

Eric