HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,829 Posts
Discussion
Last Year's best flights.

Happy New Year, everyone!

As some of you know, I have been moderating the "Big Sky Soaring Contest" for a few months and it gave me an idea. What was your best flight of the year? It doesn't have to be long duration or satisfy any particular criteria.

In my case, my favorite flight was not my longest. The most fun that I had was playing with some dynamic soaring. On that day the wind was blowing straight down a valley and hitting a line of trees on the rim. So, by flying a tight oval over said trees, I was able to fly until it got too dark to see the plane and pretty much hit the terminal velocity of my foam ASW 28.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:00 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,498 Posts
An F5B competition flight In the Netherlands , I was down in about one minute from my initial climb to 150m, so , thinking that where there is so much sink, there must be a thermal somewhere, climbed to 120m, went all the way to the other side of the field and found a thermal @ about 80m that got me the required 10 minutes. Actually I abandoned it a bit early and had to go back for it......

well, I did come in a bit early for landing, so I used a short motor blip to go around and land at 10min 1 second...Oh, the red= power in watts (I flew this one on 2S...)...

I did need to concentrate... Thermal was behind the tent, here I was trying to avoid having my plane dropping out of the sky...
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by WimH; Jan 01, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:25 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Bubble Dancing

Every year seems to have a flight or two that will stay long in the memory, 2012 was no exception. My favorite of these was a competition flight in an e soaring competition at Wetlands in the UK flying a Bubble Dancer. Conditions were ok with light wind but good lift was elusive. Having struggled through the day with mediocre results at best the last round made it all worthwhile. Launched into what seemed like a sky full of sink, 7 sailplanes all coming down like bricks, made an early decision to relaunch and started back to the patch. As the plane came accross the field at about 40m a twitch of the wing, hang on a minute, lets try a turn, hmm no height lost lets try another, and another. My timer suggested I get it down and relaunch like everyone else but I was hooked. This went on and on, I have never managed so many turns in ten minutes. Never gained much height and had to work and work to stay with it. Bagged all the points in round 7 and went home happy!
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:36 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,550 Posts
22 August was a good day for the Pulsar and me. Almost didn't go as I had alot of stuff to do around the house but it was such a lovely late summer day with near perfect conditons that I put house duties on defered status. A couple 25 minute hops looking for lift, found a couple bubbles to ride and landed. Shot the bull for a bit with other club guys then went at it again.

Decided to range a little farther over a recently cut harrowed field to see what was up there, well there was a lot of up. Shutoff in a boomer and she just kept going, then it was riding the street of thermals that had formed a bit later in the afternoon. Lift was so good I had to dump the spoilers a number of times to keep her in almost comfortable sight and spent much of just steering while laid back in a reclining chair.

The flight was my second longest ever at 1 hour 21 minutes scooting across a bluebirde sky with puffy cumulus clouds. This will stick with me for a while I think.

The hacksaw looking graph for the RAM is an effect of zooming out to make the time fit on it.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed