HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
So I maidened the Devil using my friend's 2200 4S batteries in some 12-15 mph wind (peer pressure got the best of me) and she flew extremely well. Few clicks down on the elevator to trim her out and she was solid, even with the heavy wind she flew exactly where I wanted her to be. Started drizzling (wind was obviously the sign a storm was coming) so I brought her down and ended with a harrier landing.

Really glad I jumped on this over the Peaks, well worth the imperfections it came with. I did adjust the timing on the ESC to low as it was cogging pretty bad (it still randomly does, but only at a fraction of throttle - if you know how to adjust that, let me know, I'm a Spektrum nub with my DX6.)

Thanks to everyone in this thread for their words of wisdom as reading through gave me some insight on things to do (and not to do.)
revoke is offline Find More Posts by revoke
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:04 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
RCAV8T0R - did you do anything with the "cupped" elevator? If not, think about a bit of heat and a very gentle NUDGE toward flat/level. Hair dryer heat, not heat gun. Too much heat and you will "gator" the skin. Mine is great except for inverted which requires some opposite elevator input, which tells me I need a bit more elevator correction. I see no need to shim my motor mounts .... yet, I think! I really like the way mine is flying. Send me your email address and I'll send you a short video of that formation takeoff.

revoke - I didn't really want to do too much with this cheapie, sooooo I just pulled the throttle trim down a bit and the jumping/stuttering/cogging went away. I HATE trying to hear the tones for ESC programming! A beep sounds the same as a "tone" or "note". Jeeeez, getting old sucks ... uhm sometimes.

Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:22 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
554 Posts
Got a Bigger Hammer...

...& pounded the snot out of it......not really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
RCAV8T0R - did you do anything with the "cupped" elevator?

Don
Forced the trailing edges flat by CA'ing carbon fiber strips on them so that part of the "bow" is straight. I may need to do more work trying to straighten out the "cupping" using (lower) hair dryer heat as you've suggested. Right now, I've got prop balancing issues that need to get sorted out... Didd all this before with the Peaks & had some limited success. I ended up mixing out the coupling in KE flight with a R/E mix since she pulled to the gear badly......

My D-3D's gettin' there. Probably the most important change was with my TX settings, dialing down the low rates & upping the EXPO since she was too pitch sensitive with the CG set so far back. Lookin' forward to trying her out again very soon...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:43 AM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Quick maiden video

Chuck's Dynam Devil 3D maiden (3 min 6 sec)
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Just to clarify ..... a heat gun is too hot, but a hair dryer on HIGH works just about right, if you are warming foam for re-shaping.
Prop balance issues? Both of the props that came with the plane were nearly perfect. I did a bunch of APC props just today and they were all out of balance. Funny thing was that every single one was heavy on the side with the metric measurement numbers. Go figure.
Flew today in wind that made others go home. This little thing does well in wind.
Don
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:06 PM
Turn up the G's !!!!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jul 2010
754 Posts
I've had mine out in 15-20mph winds. This plane just eats it up. I wouldn't dare fly any of my other planes. This plane is definately a winner in my book.
dskalski is offline Find More Posts by dskalski
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:56 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman49 View Post
Nice maiden! I saw that curb on landing try and jump out in front of ya

Its good to see more folks dealing with the Devil!

It does have its issues, but as I reminded my buddy as he was just punishing his, its $130 ARF! Fly it like ya stole it! To which he replied " I am!"

Hoping for some nice flying weather over my weekend. My Devil still needs some fine tuning.
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:06 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
554 Posts
Tweaking These Ships...

...is all part of this one-of-a-kind hobby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
My Devil still needs some fine tuning.
Hey pullup,
You ought to know even more than most after what you did to your 'Green Hornet'...... What's left to do now, Tx & CG tweaks? I'm right there with ya, dialing in the programming & adjusting the CG to get the most fun per $ out of my D-3D......

Quote:
It does have its issues, but as I reminded my buddy as he was just punishing his, its $130 ARF! Fly it like ya stole it!
Best advice I've heard in a while about what we should all be doing more of with these great flying, Rx-R birds...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:36 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
485 Posts
Well finally assembled my 2nd Devil and the wings are bowed. Not to bad -- a hair dryer will fix it up.
Maiden the Devil last weekend and did 4 packs. Still need some fine trimming. Didn't trim her since the wind was gusting. Like you guys mentioned this plane sure can handle some wind.
I also got a new DX8 -- it's sure a nice radio. Good to see this thread is kicking!
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:59 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...is all part of this one-of-a-kind hobby...

Hey pullup,
You ought to know even more than most after what you did to your 'Green Hornet'...... What's left to do now, Tx & CG tweaks? I'm right there with ya, dialing in the programming & adjusting the CG to get the most fun per $ out of my D-3D......

Best advice I've heard in a while about what we should all be doing more of with these great flying, Rx-R birds...
Just fine tuning the CG and radio programing. I have an Aurora 9 which allows me tons of programing features to geek out on. Snow and cold today, so no flying or working on the Devil. I would like to get a polished aluminum spinner for it, of course just for looks.

I did get out on the hill and take some runs, now I'm dropping a power 46 into a 1400mm Spitfire.... It is a great hobby
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:05 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
Well finally assembled my 2nd Devil and the wings are bowed. Not to bad -- a hair dryer will fix it up.
Maiden the Devil last weekend and did 4 packs. Still need some fine trimming. Didn't trim her since the wind was gusting. Like you guys mentioned this plane sure can handle some wind.
I also got a new DX8 -- it's sure a nice radio. Good to see this thread is kicking!
Congrats on your new Devil and radio!

If you haven't played with knife edge mixing, try it out on the Devil. I just started using that mix on my 3D machines and its pretty cool.

Let us know how the Devils do.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:50 PM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Quote:
Nice maiden! I saw that curb on landing try and jump out in front of ya

Its good to see more folks dealing with the Devil!

It does have its issues, but as I reminded my buddy as he was just punishing his, its $130 ARF! Fly it like ya stole it! To which he replied " I am!"

Hoping for some nice flying weather over my weekend. My Devil still needs some fine tuning.
Yeah, the curb came out of nowhere!! HA HA :-) That thing was so fun to fly, I'm dying to go again. Son has Cub Scout Winter Camp this weekend so this weekend is out! Next weekend maybe? My friend has soe better video he took of my 3rd and 4th flights where I was actually donig some stunts, stil trying to get it from him. But I have to agree with everyone in here, some serious bang for your buck with this bird. Just AWESOME!

---Chuck
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Flew mine again today. I have flow between 2 and 4 batteries every time out and I've had it out probably 10 times. So I guess I have 30+ flights on it. Never had a nose over, nothing but great flights. I am really sold on this plane.
Don
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:32 PM
United States, RI, West Warwick
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Got mine in a week ago and took it all out of the box yesterday. Everything looks good. Let the assembly commence!!
viper1216 is offline Find More Posts by viper1216
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:31 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
485 Posts
Quote:
Congrats on your new Devil and radio!

If you haven't played with knife edge mixing, try it out on the Devil. I just started using that mix on my 3D machines and its pretty cool.

Let us know how the Devils do.
Pullup, Knife edge mixing? New to the DX8 so please share some info on your setup. My last radio was DX6. Thanks!!
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449