HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,985 Posts
Hi Tom, glad to hear from you again, I was wondering what had happened to stop you from continuing to cut a swathe through the range of vintage models. Hope that the roof is back on now and all is well and looking forward to seeing the completed model so that I can capture a picture of it to use when I post the poll thread at the end of December.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:23 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Jul 2012
113 Posts
The roof is 3/4s done and all the felts on so at least it is rainproof but we have been having hard frosts so they haven't been able to do the mortaring. Anyhoo, I should get it made if not flown before the deadline.

ATB

Tom
Froglube is offline Find More Posts by Froglube
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:37 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,985 Posts
Time for another reminder and post to kick the thread back up - three weeks to go now to the closing date Britkitters and the score is:

18 models finished
5 more which I expect will finish - kkphantom's Veron Tipsy Nipper, Sky Jiver's Competitor, Froglube's Veronite No 2, WarrenB's ginormous Junior 112 and CG's Tom Tit x2.
1 "maybe" - my own Tarquin
.....and the rest? Well, several have seen some work done on them but haven't posted any progress for a long time so I presume these models will join the huge legion of unfinished projects which most modellers seem to have littering their workshops - pity after so much effort. Several others have never even started build logs, so I guess their good intentions were just sidetracked by other things.

So, maybe 23 or 24 in the final voting - not so bad. I am thinking about the proposed follow-up build off and will start a thread shortly canvassing views.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,985 Posts
Active day today (11/12/2012).

Sky Jiver finished his KK Competitor Plus and in the calm, frosty conditions enjoyed over half an hour of flying in two flights, he reports "off the board" performance. This is the 19th completed model in the build off.

Raf_Bob also took advantage of the same conditions to enjoy extended flying with his KK Senator, now trimmed to perfection.

So come on guys - 20 days to go to get those remaining models finished.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:30 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,985 Posts
Just 12 days to go and 19 builds finished to go into the final poll.

Of the rest, Colibriguitars Tom Tit is finished, just waiting for the motor and lipo to arrive in Mexico from Hong Kong, and it looks like WarrenB's Junior 112, Froglube's Veronite No. 2 and kk phamtom's Tipsy Nipper should also make it.

So what about the others? Well, Rabidrue's scaled up Fleetwing, built to his usual impeccable standards, is very well advanced, but he has taken a building holiday for understandable personal reasons so I guess it won't make it, and although several others - brokenenglish, saslinky, bigisbest and cswee - have done a significant amount of building, for whatever reasons they seem to have run out of enthusiasm for their projects which is a pity. I just hope that they will eventually finish the models and let us all see the results via their build logs. Plus of course we have one or two who made entries, no doubt with the best of intentions, but never opened build logs so, we must assume, never got started. This is the curse that afflicts us all - so many models so little time!!

As for me, I was always pushing it to try and build the Tarquin in time, and it isn't likely to happen now; however I do have the considerable compensation of having finished the Sportster, Mars and Fairy. Main reason for my failure with the Tarquin is that I have been fully engaged with finishing and fitting out the new "man cave" and moving everything in. It is now all completed, but I cannot see me getting enough time in there before 31/12/2012 to finish the Tarquin, however, it WILL get finished even if too late for the poll. Sorry about that, I don't like to fail with a project, so in compensation here are some views of the new workshop, before it gets messed up with next year's builds!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:48 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
What a great man-cave George. Just add lots of balsa dust and scraps of tissue, dope drips and you'll be home from home
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:03 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
BTW friends, don't know if there's been mention elsewhere on the forum, but,, I received my copy of the new Aeromodeller mag a week or so ago.

Enjoying the content so far, like a blast from the past in so many ways.

sparks
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:26 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
What a great man-cave George. Just add lots of balsa dust and scraps of tissue, dope drips and you'll be home from home
sparks
Don't worry Sparks, Ali says it won't stay that tidy for very long! She used to classify the state of my last workshop in the UK by the number and size of models that I had built since the last clean out (undertaken when I reached the point where I could no longer find anything or was banging my head on the ceiling due to the depth of shavings on the floor!) - e.g. "a two small, one large model mess". The smallest state of chaos was "a one indoor model mess" whilst six glorious building weeks off work following surgery which resulted in two open and one big vintage thermal soarers produced the ultimate "three large model" mess, never surpassed!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:11 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
662 Posts
I had a long suffering mother.
Here's a typical kitchen table build in 1978 (I see a Melbourne Uni windcheater)
A couple of home brew combat wings under way.

These were Taipan Goldhead powered running on blown up babies dummies (USA calls them pacifiers).
They flew much better than I could.

The Junior 112 is still on track (I hope) but Xmas preparations have been getting in the way a bit.
Last weekend was 200m of stainless ballustrading wire so the younger rellies won't fall off during the annual family bun-fight.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:14 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren B View Post
Here's a typical kitchen table build in 1978 (I see a Melbourne Uni windcheater)
I could have dated it by the wallpaper......
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I could have dated it by the wallpaper......
Good to see that the Australian nation were also under the full influence of post free love, glam rock, paint everything orange / brown and with big fluffy cloud patterns..

sparks
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:00 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,985 Posts
Well, it's the penultimate day of the Britkit Build Off, and I am pleased to report that cswee has just posted a picture of his very nice Achilles to bring the total of finished models to 24. Sadly it won't be 25 as my Tarquin won't quite make it, it'll be finished later in the week. So, how has it all panned out?

Total entries declared 35
Finished models - 24 (17 flown, 7 not yet flown)
Build logs running but unfinished - 7
Withdrawn entry - 1
No build log started - 4

Completion percentage 68%

Considering that several of the models with unfinished build logs are well advanced, it looks like almost 30 new models will have resulted from the build off, which is very good indeed.

Of the 17 models which have flown, two (cd_webb's Deacon and Guizzo's Radian) were sadly written off on test flights, but the other 15 are now happily part of their owner's fleets.

Of the 7 models not yet flown, most were finished late and are waiting for the weather or in one case waiting for late delivery of the motor.

There have been some outstanding models built and the range could hardly be wider, from HarryD's tiny 2 ounce KK Dandy to WarrenB's scaled up 112 inch KK Junior 60 with representative models from all of the "big four" kit companies, Keil Kraft, Veron, Mercury and Frog.

I will be posting the poll for everyone to vote for their favourite model tomorrow evening, it will run for 2 weeks, please be sure to vote. Photographs of each model and a link to the build log will be included with the poll.

So, finally, I would like to thank everyone who has supported this build off and congratulate them on producing some fine models and some interesting, informative and at times amusing and entertaining build logs. I have really enjoyed the whole thing and hope that as many of you as possible will support the "Britplan" Build Off which starts on Tuesday 01/01/2013.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:32 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,739 Posts
A vote of thanks to you George, for being Das BuildOff Obergruppenfuhrer..... and for continuing in that position for the next one!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:45 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
A vote of thanks to you George, for being Das BuildOff Obergruppenfuhrer..... and for continuing in that position for the next one!
I second that! HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! see you there. Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:25 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Thanks to Sundancer for all of your efforts, words of encouragement, cajoiling and general assistance to all on here and for making this build off happen.

Thanks to everyone else for joining in and providing good feedback and helpful comments.

Almost all of us now have another nice plane in the hanger.

I'm looking forward to the next one already.

Wishing all of you, my friends, a very Happy, healthy and prosperous 2013.

sparks