HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:53 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Just saw the 550X announcement but couldn't see a parts listing for the heli...

Pete
You will have plenty of parts after the tail servo fails on the first flight...
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:57 PM
Registered User
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Wow you guys are much better than me recommending the Nano. I have come too really like my 130x. However, I have put my Nano along with my pride back in the box and placed it on the top shelf in the shop. I am having no problems with flying the 130x around but I cannot even hover my Nano. Might just have a bad Nano but I vote 130x.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
Wow you guys are much better than me recommending the Nano. I have come too really like my 130x. However, I have put my Nano along with my pride back in the box and placed it on the top shelf in the shop. I am having no problems with flying the 130x around but I cannot even hover my Nano. Might just have a bad Nano but I vote 130x.
Your Nano doesn't fly like this? It should be smooth and stable.

Blade Nano CPX Consumer Review and Flight Test (12 min 33 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:54 PM
Registered User
KevinBuckley70's Avatar
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Learning to fly 3D with the 130X could be quite costly. The nano flies very well outside. My first CP heli was an mCPX. I could have bought three of them for what I paid for replacement parts for it by the time I could fly it well.
The 130X is almost indestructible as long you are quick with Throttle Hold when you mess up & I would 100% recommend it. The mCPX breaks fairly easily.

I have to say, sadly, I HAVE had a few small issues with the 130X (A-gear damaged out of the box, whining bearings almost out of the box & I did split the end of the tail boom) but that is pretty minimal compared with 100's I have spent repairing the 450X I have (feathering spindles, blades, tail boom, tail rotor casing, ALL the stock servos changed to metal &-&-&).

I am a big fan of the 130X - just fly it & don't worry about crashing. 99% of the time you can just put it back on it's feet & fly again.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:32 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Menlo Park
Joined Nov 2005
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmmattil View Post
Are there known, unsolved quality issues with the 130X?
The 130X has had more than its share of quality issues. You should check out the first post of this thread. You should also check out the 130X forum at helifreak. Some of the helifreak sticky threads do a nice job of enumerating problems and fixes for the 130X. Not every helicopter is going to have every problem. But you should read those threads to be prepared.

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=434588

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=448616

I love my 130X. I prefer it over all the helicopters I've owned:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3053

But I have 6 years experience flying, building, and repairing helis. I think beginners might be better off with the Nano CP X.
ifoguy is offline Find More Posts by ifoguy
Last edited by ifoguy; Dec 07, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:33 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,379 Posts
My Nano seems to fly almost as good as my 130X. I love them both, but I can't fly either indoors. Too small an area, and I'm not that good yet.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:35 AM
Registered User
liduno's Avatar
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
The 130X is almost indestructible as long you are quick with Throttle Hold when you mess up & I would 100% recommend it. The mCPX breaks fairly easily.

I have to say, sadly, I HAVE had a few small issues with the 130X (A-gear damaged out of the box, whining bearings almost out of the box & I did split the end of the tail boom) but that is pretty minimal compared with 100's I have spent repairing the 450X I have (feathering spindles, blades, tail boom, tail rotor casing, ALL the stock servos changed to metal &-&-&).

I am a big fan of the 130X - just fly it & don't worry about crashing. 99% of the time you can just put it back on it's feet & fly again.
This is exactly the opposite of what I think most people would say.

Don't get me wrong, the 130x is 10 times the heli the MCPX is, but the MCPX is 10 times more durable than the 130x.
liduno is offline Find More Posts by liduno
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:14 AM
Registered User
KevinBuckley70's Avatar
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
This is exactly the opposite of what I think most people would say.

Don't get me wrong, the 130x is 10 times the heli the MCPX is, but the MCPX is 10 times more durable than the 130x.
It's interesting that different people have very opposite opinions of that. I wonder what the difference is? Flying style (I am a long term beginner, not 3D)? Crash actions (I always have a finger on the throttle hold switch)? Quality of the heli. out of the box?

With fairly tame flying on the mCPX I have broken 2 sets of skids, a tail-boom and the canopy.

Apart from the things on the 130X which were broken at new - the only bad thing I did was split the end section of the tail boom which I repaired with some CF tape & CA glue & I have smashed it into walls, the ground (grass & concrete), play equipment etc.

Just curious.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:16 AM
Registered User
vmmattil's Avatar
Finland, Uusimaa, Helsinki
Joined Nov 2011
144 Posts
Yeah, interesting arguments, thank you all very much. I still think I'll go directly to the 130x. I hear it is durable and stable, and Nano looks like an indoor heli.
vmmattil is offline Find More Posts by vmmattil
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:56 AM
Registered User
KevinBuckley70's Avatar
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmmattil View Post
Yeah, interesting arguments, thank you all very much. I still think I'll go directly to the 130x. I hear it is durable and stable, and Nano looks like an indoor heli.
It would be interesting to get your feedback after you've had it for a few weeks!
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:16 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
OK guys... I stepped away from this little heli for a while because I was focusing on my planes. I want to start flying it again but I appear to be chasing a problem around that I can't quite figure out.

My tail keeps blowing out. It's fine for general circuit flying (for the most part... but it will occoassionally drift a little on me) but as soon as I do any sort of flips it starts acting up. And I'm being as gentle as I know how to be on the sticks so I don't think it's collective mgmt.

Last night I replaced both tail gears because they were definitely slipping. Now I cannot spin the tail blades at all while holding the main blades so I think I'm good there.

I took my tail fin off because it's cracked. Can this really be the reason??

Any thoughts on what to look for?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:30 AM
Registered User
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
The 130X is almost indestructible as long you are quick with Throttle Hold when you mess up & I would 100% recommend it. The mCPX breaks fairly easily.

I have to say, sadly, I HAVE had a few small issues with the 130X (A-gear damaged out of the box, whining bearings almost out of the box & I did split the end of the tail boom) but that is pretty minimal compared with 100's I have spent repairing the 450X I have (feathering spindles, blades, tail boom, tail rotor casing, ALL the stock servos changed to metal &-&-&).

I am a big fan of the 130X - just fly it & don't worry about crashing. 99% of the time you can just put it back on it's feet & fly again.
I have the nano, mCPX and 130X. I learned CP on the mCPX. Had I learned CP on the 130X I would have to conclude based on my experience, that I probably would have spent even more on 130X parts replacement. The 130X will be damaged more often than a nano even if throttle hold is used before a crash as it has greater mass. The 130X is a great heli but, I believe someone learning CP would be better served learning on the nano rather than the 130X. The nano is much more durable and once one learns to fly the zippy nano, he can easily fly the 130X. Also, the nano is just slightlly more than half the initial cost of the 130X.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Last edited by J_skaggs; Dec 07, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:41 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
This is exactly the opposite of what I think most people would say.

Don't get me wrong, the 130x is 10 times the heli the MCPX is, but the MCPX is 10 times more durable than the 130x.
It's so interesting how different our experiences are here. I have both. I had a spectacular tail-first crash onto pavement with the 130x practicing flips. Somehow it ended up with a main blade bent down with its tip inside the landing gear skid on the side! I though, "well, my flying's over for this trip." But, guess what? After I carefully freed the blade (it was kinda' tricky) it flew! Matter of fact, it flew great! Unbelievable.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:55 PM
Registered User
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
It is interesting to hear the different experiences with the 130X, MCPX and Nano. It all depends on how you crash! That being said, it all comes down to physics. The bigger and heavier helis are just going to break more than the lighter helis in crashes.

I have quite a bit of experience with helis and given all the annoying issues I have had sorting out the 130X, there's no way I could recommend it for a first time CP flyer. However, if you have someone experienced to help, it could make it much more manageable. Keep in mind, I now LOVE my 130X!

Good luck whatever you decide!
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:35 PM
Registered User
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
Make sure you have enough travel on the tail servo. If the servo has moved, you not be getting enough pitch to hold the tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
OK guys... I stepped away from this little heli for a while because I was focusing on my planes. I want to start flying it again but I appear to be chasing a problem around that I can't quite figure out.

My tail keeps blowing out. It's fine for general circuit flying (for the most part... but it will occoassionally drift a little on me) but as soon as I do any sort of flips it starts acting up. And I'm being as gentle as I know how to be on the sticks so I don't think it's collective mgmt.

Last night I replaced both tail gears because they were definitely slipping. Now I cannot spin the tail blades at all while holding the main blades so I think I'm good there.

I took my tail fin off because it's cracked. Can this really be the reason??

Any thoughts on what to look for?
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale New in the box E-Flite Taylorcraft ARF Kit plus High Performance E-Flite components Philscho Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 19, 2012 01:25 AM
For Sale E-Flite 300 32e SHP ****SOLD*** E-Flite still aviable tomtheman Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 28, 2012 09:01 PM
Sold E-flite 60A ESC w/ E-flite Brushless 1010kV Motor joshfneptune Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Mar 05, 2012 09:18 PM
Discussion E-Flite Taylorcraft 450 ARF Kit and High Power E-Flite electrical components $300 Philscho Hot Online Deals 1 Mar 02, 2012 09:11 PM
Discussion E-Flite Su-26 and E-flite Extra 260 repair Joe Slow Crash Discussion 1 Sep 27, 2011 12:50 PM