HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:06 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
699 Posts
Discussion
Ultracote Lite sticky problem

I just had to tear off a covering job on a rudder I had repaired. The Ultracote Lite had stuck to itself inside the rib bays and would not release before the structure started to deform. Thought I was done with my repair. Fortunately the rudder was unharmed.

When laying down the covering I noticed it would stick to itself much more aggressively than the Monocote I have used in the past. Is there some special trick that some one can tell me to keep it from sticiking to itself in very thin areas of the rib bays so I don't have it happen again?
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Last edited by Soarmark; Sep 18, 2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Can't spell
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:50 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,082 Posts
Had the same problem. I had some success with 3 solutions.
Try this first- using two pieces of masking tape(you don't want to make the problem worse), gently stick the tape on both sides of the covering and pull both sides apart.

#2 - Heat the problem area with a heat gun. If the bay is airtight, it should balloon up and separate.

#3 - If it still won't separate, poke a small pin hole in one side of the covering, near a spar or leading edge. Using air in a can, gently blow over the pin hole. Adding heat will help, but you will see where it was stuck together.

Haven't tried it, but I hear lightly dusting the sticky side with talcum powder helps. Dust it on, blow it off.

Good luck!

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:47 PM
VegasRay
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2005
212 Posts
Ultracoat Sticking to Itself

Soarmark - Norm's #2 works great for me. Just be careful when heating with the heat gun. I found that slowly making passes on both sides of the part (rudder for me) with the heat gun will cause the Ultracoat to balloon-out and gradually pull itself apart, while shrinking tight.

Caution - too much concentrated heat will burn thru the covering - keep the gun moving - go slow.

Hope this helps,

Ray
VegasRay is offline Find More Posts by VegasRay
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:03 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
699 Posts
Tried Norm's #2 solution to no avail as the ballooning was insufficent before the structure started to show the shrinking stress, even going slowly and heating both sides. Thus the removal of an almost completed covering job! If it happens again I may try option #1 since it was stuck prior to any heat being applied to the open bay area. Thanks for the input guys.

Mark
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:42 PM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
Just smear oil all over the place, including on your hands.

No problems then.
flystoolow is offline Find More Posts by flystoolow
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:00 AM
United States, IN
Joined May 2008
237 Posts
Just pull the covering tight enough so the covering will not touch itself. It can be done. If the glue sides touch each other it will not come apart even if only slightly warm. let one side completly cool before you add the other side.

Marc 540
marc 540 is offline Find More Posts by marc 540