HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:44 AM
Just registered
Mexico, COAH, Torreón
Joined Mar 2011
81 Posts
Help!
*Slightly* puffy battery

Hi! Just tried my new EC-135 my friend gave me today. It comes with a cheapy-looking charger--no display, no kind of feedback at all except a green/red LED.

The manual said to charge 'till the green light came on, or no more than 90 minutes. I charged it at 0.3A for the first twenty minutes; the batteries never got even slightly warm (I've never done this before, but I had the idea they were supposed to) so I turned it up to about 0.4A. At 90 minutes the LED was still red, and the pack was still cold, so I turned it up to about 0.7A for ten minutes, and the green LED still wouldn't come on. At that point I just disconnected it and tried flying the heli.

The heli wouldn't come on (remember, this is my first) and after several on/offs, and testing the batteries with a multimeter (very carefully--no shorts), we realised the little short-circuit plug (used to bind? whatever that is) had no current going through it, so we fixed that. Then we flew the heli for about 4 or 5 minutes, at which point the battery gave out (the manual said it should last 8, but these are used batteries. I don't know.).

When we took the battery out, it WAS warm (not hot), and slightly--but uniformly--puffy, as if there were liquid out of the cells. It cooled down right away, but remains slightly puffy--more than the other (unused) battery, and I think more than it was before we used it. Since I've never done this before I don't know if it's normal for it to be puffy that way. Is it?

Is it safe for me to put it away and go to sleep?

Thanks!
NathanC is offline Find More Posts by NathanC
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:20 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
might be time to get a charger where you can see whats going on. might also be worth getting a few batteries whilst you are there.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:30 AM
Just registered
Mexico, COAH, Torreón
Joined Mar 2011
81 Posts
Thanks, lipoflyer. I actually already ordered a Thunder A6 DualPower and 4 Turnigy 3s, and they're on the way. I'm just worried about this battery (meanwhile) and wondering--should I try charging it again? Is this normal?
NathanC is offline Find More Posts by NathanC
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:05 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
A LiPoly battery should be very firm at all times period! They become puffy when over discharged, discharged at to high of a discharge rate,become to warm or when over charged.

Many continue to use slightly puffy LiPolys but it is not the greatest idea to do so. If you read enough post you will find some that say they had a LiPoly to puff and they continued to use it for two years without any issues. You will also read about LiPolys bursting into flames for no apparent reason. I have always felt that many of these for no apperate reason cases were from LiPolys which were shorted for just a second,overdischarged , over heated ,very slightly damaged in a mishap etc.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:41 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,868 Posts
Thunder Power v2 slightly puffy, question here...

Just today sorting through my batteries, found my 1350ma 20c TP a bit puffy. It was stored over the winter @ about 11.7 volts and has never been abused or over charged. I'm guessing it has been used fewer than 20 cycles, never below 11.5 volts. Individual cell voltages were 3.9, 3.89, and a 3.75. I put it on an inexpensive balance charger (blinking light type) and it took a bit over an hour before a solid green indicator light and full charge. I put it in an airplane to test run (Thunder Tiger park fighter) and it had good power for about 30 seconds and then the power dwindled away steadily and more rapidly than normal.

It did get fairly warm after about 2 minutes of mostly w.o. throttle, but some mixed.

Is this a characteristic of some TP batteries? I'm not having trouble with any others stored almost identically, all between 1250 - 1500ma and mixed brands.

Any comments?
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:51 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
If you follow Everydayflyers advice. You will be way ahead of most LIPO recharging people.

Lipos are not for careless or absent minded people.............That also includes the charger.

A GOOD charger will save you money & give maximum performance from your batteries.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:04 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
If you follow Everydayflyers advice. You will be way ahead of most LIPO recharging people.

Lipos are not for careless or absent minded people.............That also includes the charger.

A GOOD charger will save you money & give maximum performance from your batteries.
Thanks, cyclops. I'll likely scrap this battery but there are specifics that you didn't address. (1) Is there any reputatiion for the Thunder Power units doing this without abuse of some sort?

All my batteries either get charged off the same (Phase3) balance charger, or a Hobbico Quick Field charger and they all perform within specs. and did not deteriorate over the winter so I don't think my simple charge methods or any carelessness is the issue.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:21 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
TP V2 what generation?

Yes the original 20C TP V2s had some issues.
No know issues with the TP Pro Lite V2 that I am aware of.

I have a Pro Lite V2 20C 4S 3300 which I have had since Nov.2008 and it is still hard a as a brick.

FWIW I was concerned when TP used the V2 name with a newer series as I felt it would bring back bad memoriers and make it more difficult to tell which V2 series was being discused just like right now.

Charles
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:26 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
TP V2 what generation?

Yes the original 20C TP V2s had some issues.
No know issues with the TP Pro Lite V2 that I am aware of.

I have a Pro Lite V2 20C 4S 3300 which I have had since Nov.2008 and it is still hard a as a brick.

FWIW I was concerned when TP used the V2 name with a newer series as I felt it would bring back bad memoriers and make it more difficult to tell which V2 series was being discused just like right now.

Charles
Thanks for the response, Charles.

I'm lost as to seeing indication of the 'generation' except that it is a Pro Lite V2 and will be 2 years old this summer. The labeling says "20C Continuous/40C Burst (27A/54A)" and in the corner "TP1350-3SPL2" .

I use it in my Parkzone Wildcat, the amp draw likely around 15 or so. It does come out of the airplane just a little warmer to touch than the stock ParkZone unit. I usually have 8 mins. of flight and remaining voltage ~11.6 or so.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 09:12 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
it is a Pro Lite V2 and will be 2 years old this summer. The labeling says "20C Continuous/40C Burst
Are you sure it says 20c cont. and 40C burst. My ProLite V2 is 20c cont. and 30c burst and I know it is Oct.2008 ventage as I date all of mine.

Found this post when Pro Lite V2 were first being released ,early 2009 mine was an early beta one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=6
Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 09, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:40 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Are you sure it says 20c cont. and 40C burst. My ProLite V2 is 20c cont. and 30c burst and I know it is Oct.2008 ventage as I date all of mine.

Found this post when Pro Lite V2 were first being released ,early 2009 mine was an early beta one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=6
Charles
Here's a photo of the battery. Purchased it at LHS in Wichita for my then new Phase 3 P-40 and it was delightful to use and fit in the airframe ideally.

Edit.: Checking back through my posts, I was able to pin down my purchase of this Thunder Power battery to mid to late Oct., 2009.
Last edited by gnats82; Apr 10, 2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:33 AM
Liberty Twp, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
189 Posts
I have 2 - TP PL V2 2100mah batteries (3 cell), 2yrs old and they are slightly puffy too. Maybe 40 flights on one and 30 on the other. Normal discharge about 80% after a 6 minute flight, using a FMA Cellpro 4s charger. Work fine other than being a little puffy. One was purchased in the Spring of 2009 the other was in the summer, two different places.
WDuck is offline Find More Posts by WDuck
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:31 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDuck View Post
I have 2 - TP PL V2 2100mah batteries (3 cell), 2yrs old and they are slightly puffy too. Maybe 40 flights on one and 30 on the other. Normal discharge about 80% after a 6 minute flight, using a FMA Cellpro 4s charger. Work fine other than being a little puffy. One was purchased in the Spring of 2009 the other was in the summer, two different places.
Thanks, WDuck. I'm 'exercising' this battery now, drawing it down and recharging (without heating) as it seems to have done some "recombining" as the puffiness seems to be diminishing as it has been cycled. The performance though is really off from it's new state with one cell consistently ~.15 volts down from the other two and it looses a steady state output in a short time.

Does 80% seem high for your system or is it right on track? My 1350ma was falling right in line with my other batteries used in my Phase 3 P-40 (1500ma) with just a tad lower voltage than them after 8 minutes. When I began using all the batteries in my PZ Wildcat, the performance was right on par with the P-40. Only this Thunder Power unit has shown any deterioration, the others (Phase 3, ParkZone, and Common Sense R/C) are fine and consistent in use and storage condition.

At over $35 cost at the local hobby shop, it's unlikely I'll be going on with Thunder Power but I really loved this little guy's energy density and performance.
Last edited by gnats82; Apr 10, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:12 PM
Liberty Twp, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Thanks, WDuck. I'm 'exercising' this battery now, drawing it down and recharging (without heating) as it seems to have done some "recombining" as the puffiness seems to be diminishing as it has been cycled. The performance though is really off from it's new state with one cell consistently ~.15 volts down from the other two and it looses a steady state output in a short time.
One of the batteries does has an issue when charging. But I'm not sure it's a cell - it maybe one of the balancing leads. Seems like if I flex the tap back and forth - sometimes it charges OK sometimes it just takes a long time to balance? At the end of a flight, all the cell read identical.

Quote:
Does 80% seem high for your system or is it right on track? My 1350ma was falling right in line with my other batteries used in my Phase 3 P-40 (1500ma) with just a tad lower voltage than them after 8 minutes. When I began using all the batteries in my PZ Wildcat, the performance was right on par with the P-40. Only this Thunder Power unit has shown any deterioration, the others (Phase 3, ParkZone, and Common Sense R/C) are fine and consistent in use and storage condition.
The power consumption I'm seeing I believe is what I should be seeing. It's seems to be way lower than motor calc (Dualsky motor), but the plane has plenty of power. I only had these TP batteries to use - 3 total, which brings me too this. I have a 3rd TP PL 2100, this one is only a year old with about 15 cycles. It's still solid, not puffed. After a flight it averages the same 80%. I can't tell the difference in flight performance between the three. Maybe a watt meter or Eagletree would show something?

Quote:
At over $35 cost at the local hobby shop, it's unlikely I'll be going on with Thunder Power but I really loved this little guy's energy density and performance.
I here you on that. I like the Pro-Lites for the size and weight.

Anyway, I had to replace the motor and picked up one with a lower kv than the original. So I'm moving to 4 cell setup which I think will be the optimal battery. I'm going to try some of the cheaper packs and see what they are like.
WDuck is offline Find More Posts by WDuck