SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2014, 09:43 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
Bipe launch

THE LAUNCH is now imminent.

The whole battery system on the BiPlane is currently ON CHARGE
I also now KNOW FOR SURE that the cradle (with recent metallic bars reinforcement) carries the BOT with no stress, even in the bad situation I forced on it, being missaligned.....!
SAT and SUN are no longer days I will use for Model Airplane stuff. Too many people, models, on the street and the field, distract and interfere with my concentration. I have asked for a sched.change at work and now have WEDNESDAY off. changed 5 days at 4 hours into 4 days at 5 hours...! got a weekday off to use for the HOBBY....
on the 14 th the BOT goes up on the top wing of the BIG LAZY ACE.

I hope to luck and enroll my two volunteers for pics / video and copiloting as was done recently. I think they did a sterling job too.
read next post
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2014, 09:51 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
the three planes PROJECT

Having completed the new 2 meter scale glider Ka-8 Schleiker as usual I went looking for information about it particularly concerning the TOW systems pros and cons.
Found wonderful stuff and VERY EDUCATIONAL I have been reading up on some reports about this glider especially from a Pilot ( may be American ) from BELGIUM who totally specializes in this particular plane (real) and also the selfsame model I am preparing. He posts MANY specific details and avoidance hints for problems. Just imagine that the Manual recommends a CG mark at 75 " from the leading edge and the REAL, WORKABLE measure needs to be at 50"
On their CG the model would self destroy !!!!!!
one lives, ( reads ! ) and LEARNS

RICK

PS Several steps prior to towing attempt : 1) hand launching to establish good flying at "low speed" 2) mild hi start with low pull ( somewhere betwen e 6Lbs and 8 Lbs of pull to test performance at higher speeds 3) 45 to 90 degrees of dives to test high speed pull out and the air brakes.......
after that and before towing, a ride on the cradle on the Bipe for speed runs.......
I am confident because I added a 3/16 PIANO WIRE bent at 3.4 degs. almost from wingtip to wingtip...this wing won`t fold, for sure
Last edited by BARRRICK; May 08, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old May 08, 2014, 10:56 PM
Will work for JR/Spektrum
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,775 Posts
Speaking of ready-to-launch, the replacement motor for my Yak got here today. I tore it down to parts, and locktited everything just to be doubly-sure. Ran it up and it runs well. No harmonics or excessive vibration like that power 32 I have. (that's a topic in itself now), and I'll try and fly it this weekend.

better friggin work this time and the weather better friggin co-operate. starting to get weary of this dog n pony show.
Sabin is offline Find More Posts by Sabin
Old Jun 12, 2014, 08:27 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,102 Posts
Hi Rick!!!!

Any news?

Mel D.
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:41 PM
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,775 Posts
My SMC 2800mah 3s pack came in the mail today. Time to do a little testing...
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:38 PM
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,775 Posts
Wow. I had a rather tough conversation with the LHS owner today.

He was convinced his sbach342 airfoil was not symmetrical and that it was impossible to design in any angle of attack on a small foamie.

I tried over and over again to correct him, to show that the airfoil on an aerobat is indeed symmetrical.

He ended it with asking me for a video on airfoils and their effects.
Old Oct 02, 2014, 11:10 AM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,211 Posts
Last time i flew anything was around Memorial day and a friend crashed my small quad. I want to try and finally maiden my Cessna 185 when the farmer clears his field. Helis are hanging on the wall waiting for me to repair them from 2 years ago, and all my batteries need replaced. Been busy with the twins running everywhere, plus building their playroom, which was most of my hobby room, now I have a small corner.
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Oct 02, 2014, 01:21 PM
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,775 Posts
aquired an ultimate 90 from one of the other club members. free, built up, covered with servos installed.

i'm going to put in a 1.50 into it.
Old Nov 01, 2014, 08:34 PM
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,775 Posts
and now I'm in a new place. larger everything and no disgusting pigs for roomates.
Old Nov 02, 2014, 10:42 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
Destruction derby

Yesterday the first day of November
I once again ( second time) totally destroyed TWO planes at the exact same time.

The " towing a glider project" was well prepared and the first 10 seconds of the flight showed that the project is WELL THOUGHT OUT

Unfortunately, I had forgotten to refill the tank of the motorized plane and it only got airborne to about ten feet where the engine sagged (for lack of fuel) stalled and fell to the ground on the right wing tip. Both the plane and the glider that followed suite were broken in pieces.

both planes have already been ordered and should arrive mid week. Since it is only a case of transferring equipment between models it may be ready to go back next Saturday, since the weather here in Houston is holding with great days for flying.
BACK WITH NEWS SOON.......... keep flying RICK
Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:59 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Hi ya Rick...

Yikes on the mass destruction of your glider project. I remember you doing that years ago with great success. You wouldn't be the first guy to forget to refuel the tow plane or any plane for that matter.

Glad to hear you're still involved in flying.

I haven't done to much in the last 2 years, but just got the bug back a few weeks ago. I've been flying my quad copter a lot lately. Now the weather is starting to get cold and winter is right around the corner. But I can still fly in the back yard kind of cold days.

Take care Rick and God Bless,

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Nov 14, 2014, 07:00 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Kyle,

I've seen all the pictures you've posted of your kids. How cool are they.. I can't believe how big they're getting.

Take care Hoosier man,
Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Dec 14, 2014, 07:08 PM
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,775 Posts
Aside from two aircraft; one being a 46 size nitro sport plane that needs aileron work and the other being a carl goldberg ultimate biplane that needs a 1.60, I've flown my entire fleet.

Now to build two more aircraft for next year. One being a 41" and the other a 60".