HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2001, 12:14 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Filip V - Flap Retrofit

So, I've finally gotten some big-air, fully-ballasted slope time on my Filip V from NSP. I dropped in about 8 oz of lead and, WOW, it sings when it goes by - makes my hair stand up!

Now I've got a new problem. The LZ has gotten a LOT smaller. It has horrendous downdraft rotors on the back side, so approaches have to be short. There are also many small boulders scattered around in the tall grass (no see'ums).

I'd like to take off the stock covering (which has gotten bubbly) and cover the wing with .6 oz fiberglass. While I'm at it, I want to live hinge the ailerons with kevlar and cut out flaps with bottom hinges. I plan to drive the flaps with a single servo and torque rods from wing center.

I hope the flaps will allow me to land at settle-into-grass-with-aplomb speeds instead of the cut-large-swath-of-grass speed as it does now.

So, what do you think? Can I cut out the flaps? How should I fill and strengthen the exposed foam at wing LE and Flap TE? Any other tips or cautions you can think of?

Thanks in advance...
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2001, 01:25 AM
Sometimes it works!
Caldera, Costa Rica
Joined May 2000
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NipponDave:
....... I hope the flaps will allow me to land at settle-into-grass-with-aplomb speeds instead of the cut-large-swath-of-grass speed as it does now.
So, what do you think? Can I cut out the flaps? How should I fill and strengthen the exposed foam at wing LE and Flap TE? Any other tips or cautions you can think of?
Thanks in advance...
The little sucker moves and grooves, doesn't it! I have 2, a V-tail and a T-tail.
First, have you tried "spoilerons"? If you have a computer radio try setting it up to push both ailerons up about 45 degrees or so. The instructions should be in your radio manual. You'll be suprised how much that slow it down and dumps off lift. You'll need to mix in some down elevator with the spoilerons and experiment to find the right amount. When you have it about right, it will sink in pretty steep, a bit nose high and the tail will touch first. Be sure you try it a few times "3 mistakes high" before poping them up too close to the ground.
Cutting for seperate flaps is not difficult, but I would reccomend trying "spoilerons" first.
Let us know how it goes. -gyro-
GYROGEARLOOSE is offline Find More Posts by GYROGEARLOOSE