HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2003, 10:45 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002
1,858 Posts
How Do I RE-TIME My Motors??????

Hello,
I want to get maximum performance out of my GWS (and others alike) motors. Now I hear all this stuff about retiming the motors. I know it has something to do with running the motor on a battery, and then flipping the battery around, and seeing which way it goes faster, but I know it isnt that easy. Could someone please explain, and if they have pictures of re-timing, post them, so I can see/know what re-timing is all about. Thanx SO MUCH -Patrick
putt_13 is offline Find More Posts by putt_13
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2003, 11:35 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
I don't know how much I can help, but here it goes. Re timing a motor requires rotating the endbell of a moter. What is an endbell you may ask. That is the plate on the back of a motor (where the positive and negative terminals are). In most motors it is held in place with small metal tabs. I've never retimed these types of motors, so I'll let someone else do that. I know it involves bending or breaking the tabs, rotating the endbell the opposite way of the motor rotation, and then securing the endbell. Racecar motors are a lot easier to retime because the endbell can be loosened with just a few screws. You won't see a huge difference of performance. In fact, I wouldn't even bother.

-Brett
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Mar 04, 2003, 11:52 PM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,884 Posts
The mabuchi 370 and 380 motors time the same way.
You want to advance the timing to get more performance.
The GWS EPS motor (370) comes from the factory advanced timed for counter clockwise rotation (tractor prop) That is opposite from what you want in a gearbox. Rotate the endbell about 1/4" clockwise to advance it for the gearbox.
Rotate the 380 motor 1/8" counter clockwise for normal tractor props. They come neutrally timed.

Obviously opinions vary but I get atleast 10% more RPMS and the motor runs cooler.

http://rcguy.tripod.com/
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Mar 05, 2003, 01:34 AM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
I just posted some pics for the procedure:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...727#post813727
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Old Mar 05, 2003, 07:49 AM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Aug 2002