HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:38 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Dec 2003
176 Posts
Discussion
What a rip!!!

I don't believe I will EVER buy another micro servo manufactured by Futaba...in fact, I am about ready to dump all my Futaba crap over this.

So, here it is...I bought 4 S3108 servos a few months back. I haven't flown a lot with them but I have flown a little. Well, I had them installed in the Tail of my Fliton Edge 540 Mini and on Sunday I literally bumped the elevator. I stripped the gears and not I need a replacement set. This is a $13 servo and the replacement gears are $6.49 + parts express shipping (not sure how much that is from Tower, but it isn't free...even though a stamp would mail them)

So, I bought some HS-55's recently and have been in love with them since. Much longer servo wire leads...with my Futaba I had to use extensions for EVERY surface. The HS-55's are great...they come with mounting hardware and replacement control horns and they have cheaper replacement gear sets. I know that there are probably some better servos even than the HS-55's, but what are they and where can I get them??

-John

I love my HS-55's!!
jchuston is offline Find More Posts by jchuston
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:42 PM
Team Me!
AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2005
3,161 Posts
I like my Futaba standard servos. only have a few though. would NEVER give of my Fut Radio though!!
P-38J-Lightning is offline Find More Posts by P-38J-Lightning
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:42 PM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
GWS naro's are great too and only about $10 VS $15 for the HS-55's I actually use both even mix and match them. I buy which one is on sale
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:20 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Dec 2003
176 Posts
I have a Futaba 9C radio but since I fly only electrics anymore I have thought about ditching it in favor of a Spektrum 2.4GHz transmitter and receivers. I have guys that fly glow near my house and there could be other people flying nearby that I don't even know of. I just don't want to lose a plane...and I doubt that I will ever use more than 6 channels...

-John

Also, by the time I can afford some huge plane that requires 8 or 9 channels there will be some new technology that will render my 9C worthless. Probably gonna have some long range blurtooth jobby soon. I have already heard of guys tweaking those microsizers to be controlled by a bluetooth cell phone.

Anyway, I like my radio, I just think that it is more than I need...when I bought it just after they came out I thought that it was a great hobby investment.

Oh well...so, should I spring the $6.50 for the gears or should I spring for a new HS-55 that is on sale somewhere...where is the cheapest HS-55 nowadays?

-John
Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:59 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
E flight now makes a good micro servo that comes with longer arms, great for ailerons off of one servo, Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:18 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Dec 2003
176 Posts
Something like the S75. I have heard so so reviews about them...some people like them but others say that they are twitchy and chatter a lot. How do you like them?

-John
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:06 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
no problems at all so far, maybe 15 flights. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:12 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Yeah, I use the HS-55's pretty much exclusively... I have airplanes which have been in the air for two years with the same HS-55 servos...

On my E-Flite P-47, I used the E-Flite brand servos. I forget what they're called, but they're just as good (if not better) than the HS-55's so far.

I also purchased some "el cheapo" ($7) 6 gram servos for my Cox Micro Warbird... I'm expecting to be disapointed with the reliability -- then again, you get what you pay for.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:02 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I had 3 of the s75's in my heli. They work well but over time they develop some pretty significant slop around center. You can replace the gears with hitec hs-55 gears though and they get a lot better.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:27 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
769 Posts
its ok, the guy at my local shop sold my friend the futaba micro servos that have 1.7oz of torque. They couldnt even move the tail feathers on his slow stick properly. It was horrible. And he got the reciever with the micro connections, so he is stuck with using the few servos that use that.

we went back, returned two of them, and got the better, higher torque ones.
chase4556 is offline Find More Posts by chase4556
Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:25 AM
lawn darts r' us
Joined Sep 2005
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0stS0ul
I had 3 of the s75's in my heli. They work well but over time they develop some pretty significant slop around center. You can replace the gears with hitec hs-55 gears though and they get a lot better.

The Hitec 55 gears fit in the EFlight S-75 servos?
MKMotorsport is offline Find More Posts by MKMotorsport
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:05 AM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
I have been using the HS56 in the small electrics. Love 'em.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:52 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,965 Posts
Futaba 3108's are good servos but replacement parts are expensive. Best left to when you have advanced beyond the point of frequent crashing. The HS55's work well. They do get pretty sloppy in a TRex but for foamies they are great, cheap and parts are available. IMO the HS56 is the King of the Hill for Micro Servos at present. They are a bit heavier but for slightly larger foamies they are the ticket
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:38 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
I have at least 20 Hitec HS 55's and they are great. Occasionally a gear will strip but it has been due to abuse and not the servos fault. I have compared the HS 55 to a E-flite S-75 and found that HS 55 has more control arm throw. Also the wires on the S-75 are a little too short and require extensions. I do use the S-75 3D arms on my HS 55's for 3D applications. They fit fine are are inexpensive. I recently purchased several HS 55's from my LHS for $12.99.
Phillip
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa
Old Apr 12, 2006, 07:00 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
882 Posts
GWS NARO and the new Eflight servos are in all of my planes..... Had same experience with Futaba. After 25 years of Futaba, I have switched to Hitec Optic 6 radio. Great value and no problems.
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS