HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:01 AM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
If you want any pointers when designing or painting, let me know.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 07:14 PM
So many UMs, so little money.
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Will do, man. Thanks!

Any thoughts on this landing gear for a Twinstar?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ear_100mm.html

I'm thinking it should be just about right. Or maybe the 120mm version would be better.

Brandon
NeveSSL is offline Find More Posts by NeveSSL
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:44 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Well, went out to fly today. I was able to get the slop out of the linkage and get rid of the flutter, so I thought I'd throw it up. First flight was full of ballooning and it constantly wanted to go left. Brought it back in. Had to sub trim the right aileron a bit and moved the battery forward about an inch. Then it flew like it should! A couple of clicks of trim here and there and it flew great. Until my boss (and fellow RC'er) got a little overzealous with the throttle and the motor mount came unglued from the nacelle! LOL

No major damage to anything, though. However, I'm pretty confident these stock motor mounts just aren't going to cut it for brushless. I'm going to dig back through this thread (or at least the pictures) and see how others are mounting their motors into this beast. However, any thoughts are much appreciated.

Also, the motors came down a little more warm than I'd like. Since it flies great at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, I'm probably going to put some 9x4.5 on it instead. 9x6 seems to be a little overkill.

Brandon
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:06 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Hi Brandon. Are u using the stock motors? The stock mounts are great if u unscrewcand reverse them then rough up and glue in with something very grippy. Say gorilla glue then perhaps a little shoe goo or ca on the edges. I think it will star put. Reverse the mounts or the brushless motors will stick out too far. Rick
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:38 PM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Brandon,

Assuming the plate that you screw the motor into failed, you can use a metal one: http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...&ref=MDMTPLXMM

If the ridged piece tore out, maybe you didn't use the right glue or glue it correctly during assembly. Or maybe your prop wasn't balanced and the vibration induced the failure. I haven't had any problems with mine. I used medium CA and made sure to coat the nacelle and get the glue into the channels.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:38 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Check the pictures on the previous thread. I would worry a little that I wouldn't be able to have enough surface area to put the mounts backwards. The motors I'm using are fairly short. Has anyone used any alternative mounts?

Brandon
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:44 PM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Thanks for the reply, bro. It actually came out of the nacelle. I suspect it was vibration. I used thick CA to put it in and there was foam that had come off on the mount on almost all of the surface.

I'll remount and double check everything.

I also lost the heatsinks off of my ESCs. One fell off during assembly and I thought about putting some new thermal tape on it that I have from some LED projects. I wish I would have! I made sure to check the ESCs today and with half-throttle flight, they were just warm. I believe they're getting plenty of air, so I'm not real worried about it. I may try to find some replacement heatsinks, though. Maybe a northbridge heatsink off of a motherboard or something will work well.

Brandon
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:47 PM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Semi-alternate mount: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post15558165
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:31 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Thanks for the link.

I found this one, too:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post10600435

The thing I like about it is that I can recess it back a custom length so that my props would stick out juuuuuust enough.

I may do this. I can go pickup some lite ply at Hobby-Lobby (the RC shop, not craft shop ) tomorrow. Hmmm... I'm still going to dig around, though.

Brandon
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:49 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Found another one:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post16141084

I think this will likely be the route I go.

What adhesive would you all recommend for gluing that ply in? Epoxy? CA? Gorilla Glue? Unicorn snot?

Thanks,

Brandon
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:54 AM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Definitely not epoxy - Multiplex advises against it in the manual. It doesn't penetrate the foam to make a solid joint. Plus, it tends to be brittle. I'd just use CA - whatever you have on hand. I've no experience with Gorilla Glue.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:07 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Ok, cool. I have thin, medium, and thick... not sure which I prefer for this... probably thick. The reason I asked about Gorilla Glue is because I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread. I think thick CA should do fine.

Thanks again,

Brandon
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:52 AM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
The "white" Gorilla Glue (or Sumo Glue) works great on elapor...it's all I use on my MPX planes anymore. Regardless of the type of glue I use, I always scuff sand the area to be glued and wipe with denatured alcohol. New elapor has a "greasy" feel to it, probably some sort of mold release. Never had a glued joint fail this way...
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:15 AM
Nashville
Joined Jun 2008
381 Posts
Thanks, cynjon. Where do you get the "white" Gorilla Glue? Lowes/Home Depot? I'm definitely planning on buying more Multiplex planes (at least a Fun Cub I think, with floats for some RC while camping on the lake ), so I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Brandon
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:34 AM
The Crash King
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Mar 2010
209 Posts
Im using brushless and the stock mounts are working for me.
RCDestroyer is offline Find More Posts by RCDestroyer