HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2005, 09:32 AM
Motorized lawn dart
United States, MS, Columbia
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
Canopy glue... rip off?

Is canopy glue nothing more than elmers glue? I bought some $8 canopy glue at the LHS. It looks,smells,dries, and taste like elmers.Yeah, I tasted a pin head drop just because I thought it was. I wont be buying canpoy glue for my parkflyers anymore.
Mopar92 is offline Find More Posts by Mopar92
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2005, 09:55 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
I must disagree...canopy glue dries rubbery and flexible, it's waterproof and sticks well to plastics (mostly the viscosity rather than a chemical bond, I'd say).

Elmer's glue has none of these properties. As a bonus, I've found that well-thinned canopy glue is THE thing to use on large homemade decals when the decal paper glue is too weak to keep them stuck.

Suggest you try some side by side comparisons before you write it off...and if you do, I'll be happy to take that bottle off your hands!

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Jan 04, 2005, 10:25 AM
Motorized lawn dart
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
It is not waterproof, at least the stuff I have. I got too much on my canopy, let it completly dry, 24 hours. Went to the sink and with somewarm water and my fingers, rubbed it away after a few minutes.
Old Jan 04, 2005, 10:30 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
is it rc56? I have used it for years and never had a problem.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Jan 04, 2005, 10:30 AM
Motorized lawn dart
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
Pacer brand I meant to add.
Old Jan 04, 2005, 10:31 AM
Motorized lawn dart
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
It seems to be working, but I was just going for future buys with elmers wood or whatever glue.
Old Jan 04, 2005, 10:47 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar92
It is not waterproof, at least the stuff I have. I got too much on my canopy, let it completly dry, 24 hours. Went to the sink and with somewarm water and my fingers, rubbed it away after a few minutes.
Really...what glue do you have? I use Pacer's Formula 560, which I believe is an improved version of the old Wilhold RC-56.

Also, when you speak of rubbing it away, did the glue actually dissolve, or were you just able to rub a sample off whatever surface you applied it to?

I have no doubts as to Formula 560's waterproof qualities, but it should be remembered that it works by making a seal to the substrate it's applied to...it doesn't make a chemical bond to a surface. The viscosity is what holds it in place. Spread out over a fair amount of surface area this makes for a pretty secure attachment that won't come loose under normal stress...but it can be ripped free if enough force is directly applied to it (handy in case of damage or the need to reposition it).

The rougher the substrate, the stronger it'll hold, since the wet glue finds its way into all the little rough areas in the surface it's applied to before setting.

Example: Per Pat Daily's suggestion, I used rolled skiver (paper thin leather) to make the cockpit coaming for my AerodromeRC Halberstadt D-III, first canopy gluing a piece of curtain cord to one edge of the skiver on the rough unfinished side, then spreading more glue on that rough side and rolling it into a leather tube, with a small amount of flat leather left protruding to make a 'tab' for gluing it in place on the fuselage. The canopy glue is used due to its flexibility; Elmer's is certainly NOT flexible after it's cured.

On my first try, I realized only after the glue had dried that I'd rolled the piece a bit too thick, and I tried to unroll it by a half turn or so. The bond kept resisting, and as I kept applying more force, trying to break the bond, the leather itself ripped but the glue held! I ended up having to pitch that piece and make a new one.

As expected, once it had set up it was quite flexible, installing easily as I went around the circular cockpit opening...using more canopy glue to secure it. It's on there to stay, too, after it was installed and the glue had cured, I tested it by tugging firmly at segments of the coaming to see if any part of it was loose. Nope.

This example is significant IMO, since no other glue I'm familiar with would have served for this application.

Good luck, sorry to hear you're annoyed with what you got!

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Last edited by mu2freighter; Jan 04, 2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2005, 11:28 AM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
I still have a bottle of the older RC-56 glue. This product has always worked well for me. Never lost a canopy or anything else when attached with this product. Plastic to plastic holds well. I put a row of pin holes where the glue is applied. Don't know if it has helped the glue 'grab'. A small container of it lasts a long time. I'm sold.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Jan 04, 2005, 11:43 AM
T A C
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Sep 2003
587 Posts
Save some money

As near as I can determine the all-purpose touch-up adhesive called "stick-ease" from Lowes in the wallpaper dept. is the same as the Pacer canopy glue I normally use. It's a lot cheaper and is my main glue for foam construction. It dries clear and is flexible. I even like the screw-on cap.
zzonie77 is offline Find More Posts by zzonie77
Old Jan 04, 2005, 11:49 AM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
All I ever use is elmers wood glue for all foam works. The only thing I use any other for is epoxy on my pt17 for the wing struts. As far as I am concerned I bought that at home depot for a lot cheaper also $2 as opposed to $7 for the same amount.
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007
Old Jan 04, 2005, 10:25 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,606 Posts
I wouldn't use reg. Elmers glue on a canopy unless I had a spare handy.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2005, 12:43 AM
Motorized lawn dart
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
It seems to work great, just thought maybe it was elmers or something rebottled and sold for a lot. Like some, not all, some, of the After run IS Marvel Mystery oil rebotled and sold for too much. This pacers works good. I was just making a comment as if "is it Elmers rebottled'? Thats all. No knock on Pacer or their fine products !
Old Jan 05, 2005, 01:02 AM
McClintock on rcu
Brighton, Massachusetts
Joined Jul 2004
279 Posts
seam repair glue

Long ago there was a mighty thread somewhere around here comparing lotsa glues on foam-
one big suprise was 'seam repair glue' marketed for wayward walpaper..

I got some at home depot, and it is cheap, smells and feels like elmers, but it does not dry brittle like elmers, sticks to the foam very well.. I haven't tried it on a canopy, but it will be what I use next time..
jaeder is offline Find More Posts by jaeder
Old Nov 28, 2014, 05:30 PM
Joined Nov 2013
10 Posts
Similar but most assuredly not the same. Pacer Formula 560 Canopy is a much stronger bond than Elmer's and it stays more flexible which means it doesn't tend to crack when it is flexed a bit.
Gerald Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Gerald Sharp