HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Discussion
Graupner's Rubin 1170 mm Yacht

I've started this thread to open a dialog on this boat in the hope of developing a better understanding of the boat's qualities, it's sailing charateristics and perhaps to create an archive of sorts to for those like me that enjoy learning about different kinds of RC sailboats.

The Rubin has met the same fate as the other Graupner sailboats including their classic Micro Magic - sadly they are no longer manufactured. Designer of Rubin is Thomas Dreyer BW, Stuttgart, Germany - who is a forum member. Hope to see some posts from Thomas - who would know more than the boats Father?

I have be able to collect a little history on the boat's beginnings and been able to collect a number of photos, as well as a few Youtube videos to share to get things rolling.

Those familiar with the Micro Magic will see the clear family resemblance. The Rubin sports some nice scale detailing which should appeal to those like me that like that kind thing. I think I can see a slight resemblance to a Sprinta - another classic & fortunately still alive and well!

Here are the boat's specifications:
SPECIFICATION
Overall length approx. 1170 mm (46.06")
Beam approx. 295 mm
Draught approx. 310 mm
Overall height approx. 2100 mm
Mast height above deck approx. 1700 mm
Sail area, jib approx. 2400 cm²
Sail area, mainsail, approx. 4700 cm²
Max. displacement 6.5 kg
Keel weight approx. 3.4 kg

PRODUCT INFORMATION

The RUBIN yachts belonging to the President of the DSV (German Sailing Association) H.O. Schuermann have been a constant feature of the German and international offshore sailing scene for many years. Way back in 1973 a German team consisting of RUBIN together with SAUDADE and CARINA was the first to win the Admiral´s Cup, the unofficial World Championships in the sport of offshore sailing. In 1985 a RUBIN was again included in the eighth German team which won the Cup for the third time, this time running with OUTSIDER and DIVA.
The yacht is a 1-ton boat to the IOR (International Offshore Rules), designed by the famed Hamburg design team of Judel/Vrolijk in 1985.
Our model of the RUBIN is a semi-scale model based on this 1-ton yacht. Like the full-size vessel the model´s streamlined hull with trapezoid bulkhead shape was designed by the Hamburg team of Judel/Vrolijk, and they were careful to consider the special requirements of fast model yachts in their work. The model has good all-round sailing characteristics and achieves high speeds on the water coupled with handling characteristics which are similar to those of the full-size vessel. The efficient keel with low-set lead ballast produces a high self-righting moment and gives the yacht excellent stability. The ready-made pro-quality sails are manufactured in a high-quality sail fabric and feature a special integral profile or -belly-. Fitted with the Graupner/JR REGATTA sail winch the boat is both fast and accurate in response, with the result that a skilled skipper can negotiate all possible courses. For windy conditions, when model sailing becomes very exciting, a reduced-area sail suit is available as an accessory, whereas the sails supplied in the kit are good for light to moderate winds. Like the original vessel our Rubin features an integral auxiliary motor which can be used to recover the boat at any time if the wind should fail. The forces produced by the rig and keel are
absorbed by a strong internal framework of bulkheads. The removable keel and easily dismantled rig make the model easy to transport in spite of its impressive size. The boat is intended for the advanced modeller, but still features a large number of high-quality pre-fabricated components for easy of construction, including the sophisticated GRP hull with integral keel socket and all-round deck flange, a complete deck and cockpit molded in ABS and ready-made professional sails. Please note that the boat is not intended to be a beginner´s model.

Kit CONTENTS

Quick-build plan showing R/C installation, illustrated building instructions in German, English, French and Dutch. White-pigmented GRP hull with integral keel socket and deck support flange, ready-made keel fin and rudder blade; vacuum-molded ABS deck, superstructure and other parts, printed and die-cut wooden parts, strip material and tubing, ready-made professional sails, three-part tapered profiled aluminum mast, ball raced blocks, injection-molded plastic parts, shroud tensioners, shroud cord, sheet material, rubber cord, aluminum winches, aluminum lugs, blocks, railing stanchions, fixings, sticker sheet, lead ballast.

SPECIFICATION
Overall length approx. 1170 mm (46.06")
Beam approx. 295 mm
Draught approx. 310 mm
Overall height approx. 2100 mm
Mast height above deck approx. 1700 mm
Sail area, jib approx. 2400 cm²
Sail area, mainsail, approx. 4700 cm²
Max. displacement 6.5 kg
Keel weight approx. 3.4 kg

Here are a few of the videos I found - that give us a feel of how these yachts sail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3lRWCQ1N4o

VOILIER RUBIN.mpg (9 min 59 sec)

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/42c3bd15...gelyacht-RUBIN
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Today at 12:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
Your comments and insights are invited and welcomed! If you own a Rubin or have sailed one all the better.
Thank you
Boomer
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
677 Posts
A local sailor has one...not in the best shape, but he's getting old and I'm circling above waiting for him to sell it....nice big model and sails well in a stiff breeze. I like the scale looks of it. Not just another boring one design.
dobydog6507 is online now Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Today, 12:52 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,561 Posts
I located some photos of some of the components in the kit. The vacuum-molded ABS deck, superstructure have to be bonded to the Fiberglass hull (shown below)

As in other of Graupner's boats there are printed and die-cut wooden parts, strip materials included that provide bulk heads and other internal supports for this 46" yacht.

From what I am reading, the finished product yields a very sturdy and seaworthy craft.

Dobydog,
Be great if you did secure the old boy's Rubin. Knowing you, you'd have that yacht back in "Bristol" condition in short order!

Boomer