SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2014, 09:58 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Enkhuizen
Joined Jul 2007
646 Posts
Discussion
Revell 1/64 car in a can RC - Futaba conversion + nano FPV

First of all big thanks to benito with his thread here: 1/64 Gran Torino

However he's using a mix of old components which only helps so far for people like myself who want to use new or real brand radio gear.

For the most part I've followed benito's method with cutting the chassis into 3 pieces and dumping the middle. Then turning the front steering block around 180 leaves a nice empty space to make an attachment to the original steering rack.

However I used an servo horn as the connection method with wire that was originally the cars mhz antenna (recycling).

For a speed controller I stripped a $3 turnigy servo for its PCB and pot which I kept as one piece so I can trim by the pot if there is any stuttering.

Here is the progress so far but it's not done. Note there is a set of spare power lines left open which is for the nano FPV setup section this weekend.

More to come!
stonerscolony is offline Find More Posts by stonerscolony
Last edited by stonerscolony; Dec 14, 2014 at 06:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 04:27 PM
Joined Jul 2007
646 Posts
I get a new batch of 10mW nano 5.8 video transmitters tomorrow and so cannot continue the car build until then however given the aim of this project is that myself and 3 other friends can all race we need a track and to make these look somewhat nice with the FPV kit onboard.

As the camera is the primary issue height wise it means I cannot make a car shell or similar as it just won't fit. But after seeing a small static lorry model I have on my shelf here I realised a Lorry front end would house the camera and the lipo can go on the back!

As for the track and because I ain't so rich I plan to recycle an old paste board table that is pretty untouched but not so flat (a cheap one). However I've found driving around it testing its more fun this way but I need to extend the width.

The table is 200 cm by 60cm wide so I plan to make removable side sections to extend to 100cm wide in parts. Reason for removable is so the table can fold back up and be put away.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 03:14 AM
Joined Jul 2007
646 Posts
I've continued with the shell for the build. The lorry idea worked out pretty well and allows me to mount the camera in the cabin area so it perfectly sticks out the front and the VTX should fit in there also (in theory ha).

I find decorating things this small a bit fiddly but I like the end result.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:09 AM
Joined Jul 2007
646 Posts
I have a problem with clearance on the front, when reversing its all fine but on forward motion with the motor pushing the front end down it scrapes along at any real speed.

I've noticed that if the front wheels had the same thickness as the rear motor wheels that it would be fine.

Anyone know a trick to make them thicker? I have tried heat shrink pipe but it pops off. Or where to buy the thicker motor tyre types / something .

*edit found certain hotwheel models have rubber tyres the same wheel diameter, looking in shops this week.
Last edited by stonerscolony; Dec 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:22 AM
American-TableTopTrophyTruck
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Sep 2013
74 Posts
187trophy trucks

ya you could use some lego tires like the ones in pic ,but yes your going to have to heat them up with some boiling water then fit and cool them ,to the rim's , you may have to widen frame and body fenders . yeah i have the same chassis and some stretched lego tires , and i check the cleance its about 4mm from the ground ,it should work just fine.
187trophy is offline Find More Posts by 187trophy
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:33 AM
Joined Jul 2007
646 Posts
I had considered exactly that (photo is my computer shelf lol), although heating them up etc does make a lot of sense but hadn't thought of it.

The only issue is the traction they provide, or do they become more sticky after a round of heating ?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:40 AM
Joined Sep 2013
74 Posts
great traction,i use them on my 1/64 offroad trucks all the time.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:49 AM
Joined Jul 2007
646 Posts
Ah it now all makes sense, I tried warming one of mine and the rubber has recovered a little to the original tacky like state. But the vibration from the wheel pattern is no good for the nano FPV camera because I'll see nothing and maybe go green a little lol

I think looking for a cheap hot wheels car or similar is best option.

Nice tip though for 4*4 projects - I won't forget

Nice builds also
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:59 AM
Joined Sep 2013
74 Posts
yes hotwheels/matchbox tires work to, orignal tire from rc /just put it round hotwheels tire
Last edited by 187trophy; Dec 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:42 PM
Joined Jul 2007
646 Posts
Well after your input and talking to the other drivers I'm now looking tomorrow for one of these:

Hot wheels or similar thick rubber wheels

Hot wheels or similar thin rubber wheels and just double up as you said will also work if all else fails.

Scaletrix parts < ! didn't even think of that before either

Bound to find something now
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:52 AM
Joined Jul 2007
646 Posts
Well I went and got some Hotwheel models with the right size tyres to find back home there all now plastic ...... grr.... There is a hobbyshop not so far away by train that sells them but his site has no images of the scalectrix tyres and the price of a train ticket is more than the parts+shipping, stuck between a rock and a hard place lol.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 01:00 PM
Joined Jul 2007
646 Posts
Scalectrix will work for anyone else attempting this.

But I've found a good substitute which I have readily available. This is 6/4mm bungee line from Hobbyking.

Because it has a lot of stretch it was perfect to cut a piece off and slip it over the original tyre as an extra layer. It increased the front end ride height by 1mm which is perfect, the bottom no longer hits anything

Maybe later I'll get proper ones but for now this is fine, loads of traction. Tonight is FPV set-up and to see if I can dig out a 10 Ohm resistor somewhere for the motor to stop the start-up stutter effect (Step down the voltage a tiny bit)
Old Dec 15, 2014, 05:55 PM
Joined Jul 2007
646 Posts
Well the rebuild of this revell car in a can so far has went excellent no real complaints to speak of beyond being fiddly as hell but that's to be expected.

So this post aims to wrap up the rest of the build. The above posts already show the conversion of the chassis and making a custom shell, now it's time to add FPV and push the boat!

So first the 5.8ghz 8 channel 10mW nano VTX (video transmitter) has power and video line soldered in place. The camera requires the same 3 lines and so when both are soldered they can be joined together with the video cable being direct camera to VTX and the power cables just joined up ready to use but not covered.

I decided to see if I could push my luck and use the original lights that where on the model, the rear light died but no matter the fronts still work and so I soldered them in also to use the same power line

To make the shell still removable I put the final power connections on 2mm bullet plugs so it can always come off. I also extended the power line cable for the lipo itself as it needs to go all the way to the back and plug in.

See photos for rest of description

------

Still not done as this thing needs a track to race on - wait for it
Old Dec 15, 2014, 06:50 PM
Joined Aug 2007
22 Posts
Maybe this video could help in making your own tires.
Making of Rubber Wheels 1/87 (8 min 47 sec)
benito is offline Find More Posts by benito
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:14 PM
Joined Jul 2007
646 Posts
http://www.fatedev.com/project?p=145...s+and+nano+FPV

My project page with every photo I took and full step by step instructions.

Thanks for the video link but I've arranged with a friend to visit a big model shop this weekend where we have a pick of small tyres

Edit I've watched the full video and I think I have to give that a go!
Last edited by stonerscolony; Dec 15, 2014 at 07:42 PM.