HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2014, 09:44 AM
Joined Nov 2014
2 Posts
Help!
Sensor for Tracking Device

Hi guys, I am new here

I want to find sensor for tracking device location during their run in a pipeline. I though of using GPS but pretty not sure about it. What would your say?

Attached below is the detailed problem that I'm saying before.

Tq

aimanat23 is offline Find More Posts by aimanat23
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2014, 06:26 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
979 Posts
I would suggest it depends on the accuracy your are looking for and where you are flying as to whether GPS is the right solution for you. GPS does vary in accuracy depending on satellite position and other factors and is typically good to 10m.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimanat23 View Post
Hi guys, I am new here

I want to find sensor for tracking device location during their run in a pipeline. I though of using GPS but pretty not sure about it. What would your say?

Attached below is the detailed problem that I'm saying before.

Tq

Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Nov 18, 2014, 07:59 AM
Joined Jan 2009
533 Posts
If I understand right: you want to track a "pig" that runs inside a natural gas pipeline?

GPS is out of question, one way (maybe) to achieve something tangible might be by using the electromagnetic field generated by the motion of the metallic "pig" inside the metallic pipe.
fnev is offline Find More Posts by fnev
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:14 AM
Joined Nov 2014
2 Posts
dear fnev,

the GPS thing is bit of difficult that I tried to sort out. Its ok.

What about the accelerometer sensor? which type can u suggest for me to use with?
aimanat23 is offline Find More Posts by aimanat23
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:15 PM
Joined Jan 2009
533 Posts
You need first to assess the level (range) of the shocks (rather than accelerations) the "pig" is submitted to as well as the degree of accuracy you want. Then you can look for accelerometers with the matching specifications.

Personally, I would consider using one rate gyro to monitor the "pig" rotation within the pipe. I assume it is not a ball but rather an oblong circular shape, otherwise you need a 3 gyros cluster. These gyros need to withstand the accelerations/shocks in all 3 axis. Again, you need to know the accuracy required and the max degrees/second the "pig" might rotate.

The easiest would be to use an all in one sensor cluster used in autopilots (and onboard modern car computers). Is it enough space inside the "pig"? You will need a power source (battery) and a flash memory with enough space to gather all the data as well. They will need to withstand both accelerations/shocks and the rotational(s) rate(s).

Regarding the tracking of the "pig" as I said earlier you may use the electromagnetic field. You may use as well the sound (noise). I remember riding a horse over an underground pipeline when a "pig" happened to run... pretty noisy with the ground shaking as well: the horse got a good scare and I got a good rodeo!
fnev is offline Find More Posts by fnev
Old Nov 18, 2014, 01:41 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Why not just get a Pixhawk? It has everything you want and more.
http://3drobotics.com/pixhawk-autopilot-system/

http://plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/introduction/

I have a couple of them. They record a log of the flight and will display location and path of Google earth map in real time.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man