HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
There are so many cameras in that category, that I am bewildered by the options. I know you are a camera guy, and am wondering if you know of a good one of the type I'm referring to.
I know the type but am not current on recent models. My last minicam was one that uses tape.

I suggest going to a store that has a decent selection and good prices (Walmart?) and checking them out.

I am soon going to be doing the same as you/. As said before am not fond of the Hero that everyone seems to be infatuated with (overly wide FOV and fisheye distortion) so will be interested in what you wind up with.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Last edited by kaptondave; Jan 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:23 AM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
It is really hard to beat type of camera like GoPro or the other equivalents for size and weight and durability. Also vibration resistance. I used the Sony Webbie in the beginning and it was a great little camera, but it was not water proof and I actually like the fisheye view, I did not like the very limiting narrow field of view. Also, it did not like any motor vibration, lots of Jello effect. The small consumer cameras I checked out in stores have inferior picture quality, most limited to 30 fps and are surprisingly heavy for their size, with auto focus issues in our environment and light sensitivity issues. Also they have, for our purpose, useless zoom, which just adds weight, many will not take even one hard landing. I think they still make the Bloggie, with the rotating lens it was very aerodynamic. I now use mine, the Webbie, as a hat cam, great for that. Good luck in your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I know the type but am not current on recent models. My last minicam was one that uses tape.

I suggest going to a store that has a decent selection and good prices (Walmart?) and checking them out.

Keep us posted on what you wind up with.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:41 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
fair comment.

however my 4 meter ask21 rolls better than this. lol
and so then the question becomes, what is different? Are the throws significantly different, or the aileron surface area as a percent of the wing area? You aren't going to get a fast roll with 3/16" deflection on the ailerons. I'm not sure the radian would roll well with 45 degree deflection either. The ailerons aren't very big
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:08 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
after flying my rad pro a few times i getting quite disgruntled with the lack of aileron authority.
Have you tried a CF wing tube yet? It stops the wings from flapping and gives the ailerons some more authority. Also if your radio has enough mixes, you could have the flaps following the ailerons and that should do it.

Also some people have extended them out to the wing tips to increase the roll rate. Of course they would be more vulnerable to damage.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Last edited by Jovanx; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:18 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
...with auto focus issues in our environment and light sensitivity issues. Also they have, for our purpose, useless zoom, which just adds weight, many will not take even one hard landing.
Yes, auto focus can really get annoying at times. For this type of application, I would like to be able to just set it to infinity and lock it there. I also want to use the camera for ground-based video and other things unrelated to RC, so the zoom will get used for sure.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
It is really hard to beat type of camera like GoPro or the other equivalents for size and weight and durability.
Well, that depends on what you want to see in your images. The Hero's full-sensor FOV is about equal to a 12 mm lens on a 35 mm camera, which would be classified as ultra-wide or fisheye.. It is designed for closeup photography of personal action sports like snowboarding, which is the kind of activity featured in their promotional videos. For distant subjects as typically encountered in AP that means that ground detail is very small. To me the most annoying aspect is the curved horizon, especially when the view is tilting up and down making the horizon flap like a pair of bird wings. If that is what you want or can live with then all is good, but people shopping for AP cameras need to be aware of that.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:38 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
Yes definitely all correct, It is in eye of a beholder, But we found huge issues with cameras not designed for rough service as I mentioned before that we could not live with. If the Webbie/Bloggie was water proof it was our favorite, many of the cheap handhelds were just overweight junk. But I have not checked lately, there are some new cameras surfaced in last 6 months. And GoPro 3 looks very cool. I like Gadgets!

Quote:
Well, that depends on what you want to see in your images. The Hero's full-sensor FOV is about equal to a 12 mm lens on a 35 mm camera, which would be classified as ultra-wide or fisheye.. It is designed for closeup photography of personal action sports like snowboarding, which is the kind of activity featured in their promotional videos. For distant subjects as typically encountered in AP that means that ground detail is very small. To me the most annoying aspect is the curved horizon, especially when the view is tilting up and down making the horizon flap like a pair of bird wings. If that is what you want or can live with then all is good, but people shopping for AP cameras need to be aware of that.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:36 PM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
i have no idea how to get the flaps to work as full length ailerons aswell as flaps and crow and reflex and camber
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:43 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
i have no idea how to get the flaps to work as full length ailerons aswell as flaps and crow and reflex and camber
You need at least a 7ch Rx and have all four wing servos in separate channels (plus elevator, rudder, and throttle). Then you need a computer radio that supports flaperons and dual servo ailerons and dual servo flaps. it's a pretty standard configuration for a sailplane
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:15 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
What radio do you have?

Quote:
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:48 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
i have a dx8. ive tried to get it to wor as discussed but the flaps would not play ball. they would go down with an aileron but not up. then one would go both ways the other only down.
gave up.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Final word on prop size

I want my Pro to climb much better (not really needing vertical but the closer the better.
I have stock hub, esc and battery without changing anything other than maybe battery what do I need and where can I get it?
Thanks
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:27 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
Quote:
Ok guys, to be fair to the crowd that does not like GoPro type cameras I remembered a guy in Quebec that did semi professional videos with a camcorder, Canon Vixia HF20, on Easy Glider Pro FPV quite successfully, He called himself Funjet2008 Here is a picture and video flying with camcorder on his glider for those interested. It is not Radian but easily could be. The conversion to pylon mounted motor is pretty standard for any fultime AV glider.

Aerial Flyover - (Le Making of) - Club de Golf de Lorette mai 2010 (2 min 59 sec)
Last edited by ddruck; Feb 01, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
The limiting device is the motor rated at 55A and 550W. On my 9X this is 1 mark below 1/2 throttle. I programmed the THRO limits ( nice thing about using the 9X with Open 9X ) so WOT was 45% so that I wouldn't accidentally cook the motor.
Careful, it is easy to delude yourself with that kind of logic.

At half throttle the ESC is hitting the motor with full-amplitude current pulses having a duty cycle of approximately 50%. The point is that you are not limiting the maximum current the motor sees, just how long it on. During the ON part of the cycle the current is the same as at WOT. It is still possible to toast it even though the average power might be within spec limits, which might explane why it is getting so hot.