HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:11 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Here is a thread here by someone who had exactly the same problem as you. He bought a Devo 8S from Helipal, and managed to get the transmitter fixed by Walkera directly. Perhaps you could contact him for details.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=455107

There are often problems in shipping electronic items back to China. Sometimes, the items even get taxed. That is why many vendors are reluctant to ship items back to China. We cannot get direct service from HH either and the vendors are reluctant to send things back to them. That is why many brands have a big advantage in their primary market.
Yes, I read that post several weeks ago and that was what gat me some false hope.
The parts to fix it are very cheap anyway. The controller is 5.09 and the screen is 10.00, both available from digikey. They are originally made by Texas Instruments. I have decided to fix my own as they are not really interested in helping their customers and the freight to get it to China is worth more than the parts to fix it.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
433 Posts
Hey all,
I crashed my mini CP today, and now the poor thing will not power up. No indication from the LED and no binding at all. Just completely dead. Any suggestions?
PonyBoy1973 is offline Find More Posts by PonyBoy1973
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:31 PM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2010
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy1973 View Post
Hey all,
I crashed my mini CP today, and now the poor thing will not power up. No indication from the LED and no binding at all. Just completely dead. Any suggestions?
Have you checked to see that your battery cable is still connected to the receiver? Those wires are known to fray and even disconnect after a few hard crashed or pulling while removing the battery.
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Mar 2011
433 Posts
Yes, I checked that. I confirmed voltage to the back-side of the RX board where the wires from the battery go through the board.
Just dead. no LEd, no nothing...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
Also, if one of the Coil's leads are broken off the PWB, the LED will not light.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Mar 2011
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Also, if one of the Coil's leads are broken off the PWB, the LED will not light.
can you elaborate? Coils? Thanks for your help... Hope I can fix it myself or i'm out another $60 for a Rx
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
206 Posts
Quote:
can you elaborate? Coils? Thanks for your help... Hope I can fix it myself or i'm out another $60 for a Rx
Check this post out, the first picture has a circle on the bottom right corner of the tx, that's where the coil should be.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1612171
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Mar 2011
433 Posts
My coil is still there, has a bit of that White epoxy around it too. the top of that coil thingy does move around slightly, like if i put my fingernail under it.
come to think of it, my canopy has been flipping up and coming off from the bottom, maybe that ripped something loose.
thanks again
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Nov 2010
206 Posts
Quote:
My coil is still there, has a bit of that White epoxy around it too. the top of that coil thingy does move around slightly, like if i put my fingernail under it.
come to think of it, my canopy has been flipping up and coming off from the bottom, maybe that ripped something loose.
thanks again
The canopy may have taken off one of the 2 connections holding the coil on. As stated above, the most common reason for the problem you're facing is either 1.) Battery wires to the RX worn/out or 2.) Coil falling off.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
433 Posts
well, it's bricked now, so I might as well try and solder or fix the coil... blah...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
If you're able to wiggle the actual Coil (not the RTV), then one of its leads has probably broken loose from its solder pad.

Sounds like you didn't do a "RX Saver Mod"
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
here is info about the coil saver mod and others http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=10 I originally stated that the silicone does not work to save the coil. I have always used gorilla glue the "dries white 2x stronger" kind Its super lightweight and super strong. I glue the battery cables where they enter the board too,
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:17 AM
...if you take the time
Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jul 2012
212 Posts
I've just ordered the mini! and I have a few questions:
1. Anyone tried these batteries?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5x-Ex...540565691.html
2. Where can I find servo arms? I rather have a spare before trying the servo saver mod...
3. Is there a free PC simulator that works with the devo 8s?
If so, how do I connect it?

Thanks for answering, and for all the info already in this thread!
PurpleShark is offline Find More Posts by PurpleShark
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Oct 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShark View Post
2. Where can I find servo arms? I rather have a spare before trying the servo saver mod...

1- i think i have 3 of those, aren't bad.
2- from what i read so far, you dont, either the full servo or nothing.
3- seriously, just, seriously, stay away from free simulators, they are crap.

get phoenix or real flight, costy but your heli is way more expensive.
DantHimself is offline Find More Posts by DantHimself
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Nov 2010
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShark View Post

I also have 3 of those batteries that I use on my brushless Mini. When they were new I used to get around 4 minutes of sport flying, but now after about 15 cycles each they're starting to lose capacity and I'm getting around 2 minutes before my heli starts losing power and my charger only puts back around 200mah. I always took good care of them so I'm assuming they're just duds