Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:27 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
Discussion
VECTOR UNITS - typology

Hi there,

as I could read in different threads, some of You are looking to build a vector unit by yourself.

I attach some photos showing different types and sizes of functionable vector units I realized, using different mechanical solutions.

Pic. unit_1 shows the 'blocked servo' solution, using 2 blocked (metalgear) servos only

No. 2 shows the 'ring-in-ring' solution (used Hard-Disk distance rings)

No. 3 shows the 'plate-in-plate' solution www.vector-technik-de, using glassfibre or carbon fibre plates.

No. 4a + b show the 'heli-swashplate' solution

No. 5 shows the 'full heli-mechanics' solution

No. 6 shows the 'gimbel solution' (like www.PremierRC.com manufactures)

No. 7 shows the 'Universal Joint' solution.

I personally prefer different gimbel solutions, because I use mostly interchangeable vector units in my different Vector Kites.
This type allows use also BL-motors of different power (800-1600grs. of thrust) - shown in the 'big_and_small' photo.

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Last edited by flattermann; Feb 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:35 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,369 Posts
Flattermann, you are a priceless resource here! Thank you.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:58 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,857 Posts
Flattermann,

Thank you so much for all the helpful information. what are your recommendations for servos for the different type of vector unit solutions? Metal gear , high torque , ball bearing , all of the above?
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:31 PM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
... for vector units up to 800grs. of thrust I take titanium/alloy and brass metal gear servos (not cheap, but durable) weighing around 15grs., and performing around 2kgs./cm torque.

For bigger units over 800grs. up to around 1500 grs. of thrust, I take the same quality class of metal gear servos, but 1 size bigger (around 25grs weight) , performing around 3kgs/cm.

Since I have made best experiences with high quality metal gear servos with single or double ball bearing, I take these.

And: For use in Vector Units, I prefer servos of 'normal, average' speed.

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,857 Posts
Thanks again , Flattermann! Off to the hobby shop I go!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:44 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bognor Regis
Joined Feb 2011
355 Posts
Flatterman,

Many thanks for your great information.

Could I please ask, the modified Gen II vector unit, is this the one you use with you 19' Delta. ?

I was wanting to do something similar later in the year, and would upgrade the servos, ESC and motor, could you recommend the motor/prop combination you are using ?

Love the Blade Msr Mini Vector :-)

regards

Dave
Mitchy123 is offline Find More Posts by Mitchy123
Last edited by Mitchy123; Feb 21, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:25 PM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Oh. That's how it works.
batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:04 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,453 Posts
There's also one interesting one someone came up with that used elevon controls. I can't quite find the post/picture/video of it at the moment. The elevon mix allows a simpler gimbal system because it doesn't need to be symmetrical along the vertical axis.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:18 AM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
slebetman,
That pic would be helpful.
I have many plans inline for building, I'm currently in a profile pusher jet fever, they are just so simple to make & so much fun. And it uses the elevon mix you mentioned.

flattermann,
That video where you were flying in the wind with the long tail was just amazing. That is my inspiration, I would definitely want to build one.

Now, when does hobbycity plan to mass produce this gimbal thing. It's not that hard.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batusaix View Post
slebetman,
That pic would be helpful.
I have many plans inline for building, I'm currently in a profile pusher jet fever, they are just so simple to make & so much fun. And it uses the elevon mix you mentioned.
Finally found it. Here it is: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=3#post8417732

Basically something like this:
Last edited by slebetman; Feb 22, 2011 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:54 AM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Thanks slebetman.
It actually looks more complex.
I also like how you did yours, diy effectiveness.
I don't need TV on profile jets, that's why I never bothered. I always follow the basic rule with electrics, the lighter it is, the better it flies.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:15 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post
There's also one interesting one someone came up with that used elevon controls. I can't quite find the post/picture/video of it at the moment. The elevon mix allows a simpler gimbal system because it doesn't need to be symmetrical along the vertical axis.
It looks like Flattermann's solution #7 above ( universal joint solution ) would use an elevon mix . That seems to me to be a good design because you would have TWO servos pulling the weight of the motor and prop up when the input is up elevator.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:40 AM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post

Basically something like this:
Perfect.
Last edited by batusaix; Feb 22, 2011 at 02:12 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:49 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
It looks like Flattermann's solution #7 above ( universal joint solution ) would use an elevon mix . That seems to me to be a good design because you would have TWO servos pulling the weight of the motor and prop up when the input is up elevator.
It depends on how you set it up. If you set it up like a 't' then it works like a regular elevator/rudder control. If you set it up like an 'x' then it uses elevon control.

Here's one with regular elevator/rudder set up: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376752

Funny thing about elevon/v-tail mix is that if you look at it right what it's doing is just rotating the stick 45 degrees. For a while now I've been tempted to build an elevon delta foamy and fly it with my non-computer radio by simply holding the TX at an angle and do the mix with my thumb
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:56 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,857 Posts
If you would like to do elevon mixing with a non-computer radio you could make an onboard mechanical mixer . http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385916http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...17&postcount=7