HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:16 AM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
Help!
Windows 7 64 - Castle Link Driver

I've just received today my castle link programmer to enable me to program 3 CC25 ESC I've got for a tricopter.

I followed the special instructions on the website for installing onto Windows 7, but the driver fails to install and subsequently the CCLink GUI doesn't find any hardware.

I've tried installing the driver manually, but the manual (update driver) install process tells me that there's no driver available in the Castle Creations (and subfolders) directory.

I don't have a Windows XP workstation available to me, is there a way to use this software with this OS?
SouthPawPaul is offline Find More Posts by SouthPawPaul
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:56 PM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
940 Posts
Hi,
Just an FYI: I run the CastleLink software on Windows 7 -64 bit without trouble. I don't recollect any installation issues. Do you have Microsoft dotNET installed? I could be wrong but seems to me it is required.

Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Jul 08, 2010, 03:32 PM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
I spoke to Castle Creation support today and we worked out that because I have been sold the "older" hardware version of the programmer it's not compatible with 64bit systems.

The older versions have a flying servo lead soldered and the newer version had a 3 pin header connection.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:43 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPawPaul View Post
I spoke to Castle Creation support today and we worked out that because I have been sold the "older" hardware version of the programmer it's not compatible with 64bit systems.

The older versions have a flying servo lead soldered and the newer version had a 3 pin header connection.
Huh??? I have the Castle Link with the soldered pigtail servo wire connector, and the software and Link works fine on my W7 - 64 bit computer!!! What gives?

<EDIT> The software is installed in my "Programs Files (x86)" folder <EDIT>.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:37 AM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
I can't explain that I'm afraid. Mine would not work and the reason I was given was that my hardware was "at least 3 years old and out of date". I tried to install the driver manually but I was told it wasn't compatible with my version of windows.

I've subsequently reluctantly dug out my Vista 32bit CD and installed it into VMWare workstation. This seems to work for the time being.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:34 AM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
If you plug an 'older' link into a 32 bit system (xp and most Vista) and run any software newer than about a year and a half old, the system updates the link automatically. It will then work on Windows 7 which is 64 bit. For you tech geeks, the update changes the link from a USB serial buss controller which needs a driver to a Human Interface Device (HID) with uses predefined settings on both ends of the connection and does not use a driver. We made this change to reduce the number of calls we got from XP machines not installing the driver correctly. Once we made this change, we went from about 30 hr. a week combined time on driver installation problems to about 2 hrs per week. Because the driver does not work on 64 bit systems, an older, non updated link will not work. Plugging into a friends XP or Vista machine with the latest software will update it and it will then work on 7.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:51 PM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
Thanks for your information. It's a shame your tech support guys couldn't have told me the same thing as it would've saved me many hours of frustration. I begged and borrowed an old copy of Vista 32 and installed it into a virtual machine. Once the Castle Link was updated it works flawlessly under Windows 7 x64.

It may be worth including this snippet of information on your FAQ for Windows 7 users. It sure would've helped me massively
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:38 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,060 Posts
This is on page 12. Sticky it on page 1.
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:58 PM
Joined Nov 2008
10 Posts
I have an older version of the Castle Link (Apr 07) and no matter what I did, I could not get it to work with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. Pulled out an old laptop with Windows XP on it, and it worked flawlessly.

Afterwards, I installed the Castle Link software on the Virtual XP only to find out that it still didn't work even after updating the firmware.

No reply from Castle Creations other than the automatic email...

Going to have to buy a new version since I will no longer have XP available soon
Longhair-NL is offline Find More Posts by Longhair-NL
Old May 11, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined May 2011
1 Posts
Hopefully an answer for people having troubles

I had an older Link that wasn't being recognized.

I did use an XP machine to get the 3.3.x code loaded, but it still failed on my Windows 7 box afterwards.

Until I noticed the following...

Here is something to look at:

1) Start the CastleLink program and plug in the USB cable and Link
2) Press "Start" on the windows task bar
3) Type in "Device Manager" in the search field
4) When Device manager opens, expanded (if not already) the Universal Serial bus controllers
5) Do you see an Unknown Device?

6) If so, right click on each USB Root Hub one at a time, select properties.

Under the Power Tab, does the Unknown device show up (This is assuming you only have 1 unknown device in the previous step #5).

If not repeat this step with the next USB Root Hub listed until the Uknown device is found.

7) IF so, click the advanced tab. Does the Hub information show "Hub is operating at Full-speed, High-speed, or other ?

If it has Full-speed this is the older 12MB USB 1.1 spec and it didn't seem to work with my older Link cable.

I moved the Link cable to the back of the PC (instead of using the front panel USB ports) and the Link started working.

This Hub (that controls the back of the PC USB ports) is running at High-Speed (USB 2.0 spec).

Long story short, Try using a USB 2.0 ports.

HTH

Michael
nexuscrash is offline Find More Posts by nexuscrash
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:19 PM
United States, AL, Dothan
Joined Jan 2003
129 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but it's about the only one that had detailed information on this problem.

I'm just coming back to the hobby and I was trying to update my CC45, but the CastleLink wouldn't work in Windows Vista. It kept saying the driver was invalid.

I ended up running the install program on a Windows 8 evaluation copy on a laptop I had laying around, and it managed to update the CastleLink firmware. Once that was done Vista saw it as a Human Interface Device instead of "Pheonix Link"

So if you're having trouble try it on a Windows 8 machine.

To give you an idea, the CC45 had 1.23 Beta firmware, circa 1/12/2006.
physics_nut is offline Find More Posts by physics_nut
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:20 PM
Little Elm, TX
Joined Jun 2009
16 Posts
Try different USB Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexuscrash View Post
I had an older Link that wasn't being recognized.

I did use an XP machine to get the 3.3.x code loaded, but it still failed on my Windows 7 box afterwards.

Until I noticed the following...

Here is something to look at:

1) Start the CastleLink program and plug in the USB cable and Link
2) Press "Start" on the windows task bar
3) Type in "Device Manager" in the search field
4) When Device manager opens, expanded (if not already) the Universal Serial bus controllers
5) Do you see an Unknown Device?

6) If so, right click on each USB Root Hub one at a time, select properties.

Under the Power Tab, does the Unknown device show up (This is assuming you only have 1 unknown device in the previous step #5).

If not repeat this step with the next USB Root Hub listed until the Uknown device is found.

7) IF so, click the advanced tab. Does the Hub information show "Hub is operating at Full-speed, High-speed, or other ?

If it has Full-speed this is the older 12MB USB 1.1 spec and it didn't seem to work with my older Link cable.

I moved the Link cable to the back of the PC (instead of using the front panel USB ports) and the Link started working.

This Hub (that controls the back of the PC USB ports) is running at High-Speed (USB 2.0 spec).

Long story short, Try using a USB 2.0 ports.

HTH

Michael

I know this is an old thread but I am returning the the hobby and have been trying to get my CC link to work. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and the driver refused to load for me. The driver installed under Human Interface Device (new driver version installs itself here) instead of the USB Controllers section but still failed to load. After trying several things I finally got it to work by plugging the CC Link into the USB port on the back of the machine..

I hope this helps someone!
javajohn is offline Find More Posts by javajohn