Old Oct 30, 2006, 03:42 PM
Jimbo and the Jet Set
York
Joined Jul 2005
543 Posts
Discussion
Help Hitec HS125mg ?

Hi,

I bought 3 of the analog 125mg's for a model, RX is a std 4 cell pack.

everything hooked up ok, centred ok, installed ok.

I buried them in the wings, set in silicone everything ok

A day later after I had finshed the rest of the model I connected the servos in the wing and they moved but the horn was still, this happened on one wing one day, anbd the other the next

Anyone heard of this or a bad batch

The green sticker was dated 0411, they were bought in May this year and this was the first installation, I have since swapped one for a new 125-mg and the same has happened ?

thanks for any advice, I have sent them back to the shop I bought them from but after speaking with them don't hold out much hope.
Jimmy_H is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy_H
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2006, 03:44 PM
ALL IN !
Carlsbad, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
2,784 Posts
Send them to Hitec they will replace them for free.
Louied is offline Find More Posts by Louied
Old Oct 30, 2006, 03:50 PM
New Pilot
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Feb 2006
281 Posts
Well, I've had three of them and only one of them centered in the same place every time. Other people seem to have better luck with them, but I'll never buy them again.
Solarsail is offline Find More Posts by Solarsail
Old Oct 30, 2006, 05:11 PM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Ive had no problem with the hs85mg's
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue
Old Oct 30, 2006, 07:23 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
I have had some bad experiences with HS-125s with pots going bad and gears striping easily. I have a bunch that are going in, after failing after 15 flights or less.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 31, 2006, 01:14 AM
Jimbo and the Jet Set
York
Joined Jul 2005
543 Posts
Thanks for the response I must admit that I have no faith in these servos, if they strip gears without even being used then that says a lot their quality control !

Any ideas of alternatives (thickness wise) ?

Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2006, 06:05 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
If you really need a thin servo, I think JR has one.

JR is the brand of servos people keep telling me to use.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 02:16 PM
SCAMMERS WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
Kent, WA
Joined Dec 2003
2,797 Posts
futaba also has thin wing servos (3150s) they're pricey though... they're digital I think around 50 bucks
trashmanf is offline Find More Posts by trashmanf
Old Oct 31, 2006, 04:11 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Looks like a bad batch of servos. I know several people who use them without issue, and I have the digitals (same gear set) in the tail of my (RES) AVA, no issue there.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 31, 2006, 04:34 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
One other issue you could have, silicone has chemicals that will eat electronics big time, not sure what, but causes corrosion. Goop is a good alternative.
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:10 PM
Joined Oct 2006
32 Posts
Perfection is every case, all the time, is tough to achieve. Hate to see the servo design, or the mfg. (as a whole) get a bad rap due to a bad production run, or whatever the problem is. I've used these servos in 3+ meter molded ships for years, and have had great performance from them.
dahld is offline Find More Posts by dahld
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:52 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Futaba 3150 is best choice, but Hitec hs-65HB or hs-56HB, I have lost ALL confidence to hs-125MG, I still have a dozen laying in the box for frozen things.
The crappy alloy gears are made of powder like metals, worse than anything could be described as metal. Added info is I found the newer lot 125MG skipped one bearing around output shaft.
I use hs-56hb in a 3,6M ailerons. and both vtail, they work ok,
One more thing, it is told that even the best metal gears develope slop/ play/ worn down along time. So I will only fix those faulty hs125mg when KARBONITE gear set is available.
From another point of view, you may think you are lucky enough to unveil the faulty servos before airborne, they helped you saved a lot.
Daivd
And the Karbonite gears don't
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
Old Nov 01, 2006, 06:32 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahld
Perfection is every case, all the time, is tough to achieve. Hate to see the servo design, or the mfg. (as a whole) get a bad rap due to a bad production run, or whatever the problem is. I've used these servos in 3+ meter molded ships for years, and have had great performance from them.
I agree. Hitec is my primary brand for servos and recievers. I have HS-55s and 81s that have performed very well,

I "upgraded" to the 125s when I went to bigger ships. Hitec advertises the 125 gear train as unbreakable, as per the Hitec product page:
http://www.hitecrcd.com/homepage/product_fs.htm

"The latest addition to the Hitec servo line is a "Super Thin" servo designed primarily for sailplane wings. Featuring the "unbreakable" MP gear train the 125MG is a perfect fit in the slim wings of today's high performance gliders "

Not only have I not found this to be the case, I have found the gears AND the pots to be down right fragile. I swapped out the 125s for HS-81s. I need to take the batch and send them in to Hitec. I am sure they will fix them, and I hope this is just a bad run that has occured over the last 18 months.
Old Nov 01, 2006, 06:54 AM
Jimbo and the Jet Set
York
Joined Jul 2005
543 Posts
[QUOTE=aeajr]

"The latest addition to the Hitec servo line is a "Super Thin" servo designed primarily for sailplane wings. Featuring the "unbreakable" MP gear train the 125MG is a perfect fit in the slim wings of today's high performance gliders "

I wouldn't trust them to power anything, my investigation found them to be a flawed design, a single casting of the offending gears would have prevented me digging 3 servos out !!

hitec, if your listening change this to a single cast