SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:32 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,148 Posts
I am going to be using Dow blue. Same as you used for Red Merle. It is the o.ly thing I can get on a consistent basis locally beside white foam.
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Last edited by plane_tech; Mar 08, 2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:07 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,148 Posts
Over complicating the obvious...

Well, a while back when I was originally working on this, I drew up an idea to make this a lot simpler. Which means I really over complicated it.
I wanted a way to repeatedly produce a highly accurate, straight, and uniform slot on the surface of a foam core wing to add in a weblet or a multi-layer unicarbon spar.
I finally got a chance to get the parts cut on a laser cutter and built the test rig this afternoon. It is actually quite simple. Three pieces of 1/4" acrylic. One is the base plate that the dremel sits on, one is the guide plate that only allows movement in one direction, left to right or forward and backwards, and the third is a captive piece so the tool does not inadvertently lift out of where it needs to be.
With this, I can cut a nice straight cut in the wing surface the width of the bit, at a preset depth with the guide oriented along the axis of the span. Or, I can rotate the guide 90 degrees in relation to the base so the guide axis is parallel to the chord of the wing. This allows you to cut a uniform width channel on in the foam by moving the tool back and forth and it transverses down the length of the wing... Complicated to type out, but you can see what I mean by the pics below.
I just used a flat piece of foam to test it out on, but it worked pretty well. I am still working on the fixture to allow it to mirror the taper angle of the upper or lower surface of the wing.

I realize that a simple straight edge taped to the wing would have done almost the same thing. However, in testing I found that the curvature of the wing surface led to a nonuniform depth of cut, and a slightly unstable platform for the tool. But lifting the tool off the surface of the wing, and using a rail system, I can get the same depth of cut regardless of the curvature of the surface I am cutting...

Other than that, it was a mental exercise that I wanted to see if it would actually work... Now time to tweak it so it will work for other things and to work on a tapered wing...
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:16 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,148 Posts
CAD screen capture for a little more clarification
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:54 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,285 Posts
Nice set up.As you say,lots of possibilities with it.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46