HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Do you find there are a lot of biased "Fanatics" in this hobby?
Yes 38 82.61%
No 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by Victory Pete, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:23 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Poll
Do you find there are a lot of biased "Fanatics" in this hobby?

It seems there are a lot of "Extreme" opinions and personalities in this hobby. It is rare to find someone who is "On The Fence" with an open mind.
Just a thought.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:32 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2011
176 Posts
There is one thing I learned playing on-line poker and that is there are all kinds of people in the world and there ALL ONLINE.

The thing with online forums is that it exposes you to people that you would most likely never meet in real life either from age group, location and etc...

As mush as yo umay want to call them Fanatics and I am sure they have a name for you as well.

I know one thing, if I ever need help in starting a pole I know who to contact. You pole fanatic.
RCing is offline Find More Posts by RCing
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:01 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,554 Posts
No are there???????LOL
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:36 AM
Joined Dec 2010
456 Posts
Yes and one of the groups being those pilots not under AMA vs those under AMA. I have certainly learned people make a COMPLETE FOOL out of themselves pushing un-needed and false AMA rules on everyone. These same people seem to always get upset when you tell try to tell them those are not government regulations. AMA and non-AMA flying pilots HAVE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN RULES, in that AMA is actually largely stricter. So yes.
Thermal Hobby is offline Find More Posts by Thermal Hobby
Last edited by Thermal Hobby; Oct 12, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,392 Posts
Define "a lot"! 10%, 30%, 50%, 70%, 90%?

My observation is that there are very little biased people in the hobby. The majority of them though frequent forums like this one. Most of the non-biased hobbyists do not visit forums or do it rarely end even on the forums they mostly read and rarely post.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:49 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
Define "a lot"! 10%, 30%, 50%, 70%, 90%?

My observation is that there are very little biased people in the hobby. The majority of them though frequent forums like this one. Most of the non-biased hobbyists do not visit forums or do it rarely end even on the forums they mostly read and rarely post.
The majority.

VP
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:54 AM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
I don't know about fanatics, but maybe general all-around idiots, yes. For example, it used to be the case, and I assume it still is, that airplane and helicopter groups don't really like each other. Like actual, real resentment. To me that's so incredibly dumb, I just don't know what to say. No wonder there are so many ridiculous world issues today, when people playing with toys can't even get along...
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:58 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
I don't know about fanatics, but maybe general all-around idiots, yes. For example, it used to be the case, and I assume it still is, that airplane and helicopter groups don't really like each other. Like actual, real resentment. To me that's so incredibly dumb, I just don't know what to say. No wonder there are so many ridiculous world issues today, when people playing with toys can't even get along...
Good point!

VP
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:58 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
The majority.

VP
Then my vote is "No". Even the majority or RCG users are not biased IMO. The number of biased RCG users is somewhere in the teens. I'm talking about hobby stuff, not politics and religion - for that one can visit/reference the LTUP forum.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:09 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,834 Posts
Quote:
... airplane and helicopter groups don't really like each other. ...
Maybe thats why when I take one plane out to fly and come back home and later take out a heli and it wont fly well, maybe it is jealous I did not take the heli out first but then the plane would be upset. AHHH too many to chose from, then if I take one of each then the truck and boat will be upset.

I can we just need to take all our toys out to play.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:09 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
+1000. Its just a hobby........

I also think that anonamous internet forums bring out the closet idiot in alot of people. If users had to log in under their real name, things would be quite a bit different on here.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:10 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,455 Posts
I'm glad I've been using my real name on the forums for the past 15 years.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:02 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I'm glad I've been using my real name on the forums for the past 15 years.

Andy
Yeah, but nobody listens to you, Andy. (J/K )

mw (who knows better)
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:51 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Hobby View Post
Yes and one of the groups being those pilots not under AMA vs those under AMA. I have certainly learned people make a COMPLETE FOOL out of themselves pushing un-needed and false AMA rules on everyone. These same people seem to always get upset when you tell try to tell them those are not government regulations. AMA and non-AMA flying pilots HAVE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN RULES, in that AMA is actually largely stricter. So yes.
Well I personally believe that all RC modellers have benefited from the AMA and its "rules' - like them or not. AMA can actually get a foot in the door and has with things like specific frequencies allocated to RC (granted 20 years ago). That is something that would be nearly impossible without some organization like them.
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:09 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Behave yourself, Mark... ;-)

I love model building. I build rubber power, control line, r/c power and sailplane, fly toys, and birdwatch. Many times over the decades, I have seen r/cers sniff with contempt at freeflighters and controlliners, indoor comp flyers howl about indoor scale modelers, combat flyers sneer at scale flyers, on and on. Most rules from the federal bodies are there to keep a lid on the idiots, guys that fly over spectators, or think that launching rockets or firing live ammo from a model makes perfect sense. People work hard and long at making model flying safe, and rules that allow the hobby to progress.

There are lots of others out there who make rules to kill the hobby (people who think flying models is the same as devil worship, usually municipal bureaucrats), and those who think that their freedoms supersede the rights of others to a peaceful existence (see DynaJet flyers! ;-)).

This fight has been going on for all of my 6 decades in the hobby, and for decades before. Likely it will go on in the future decades, and is very likely to remain unresolved...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle