HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,612 Posts
I am sorry to hear that... I wish your friend Nate was on the other side of the buddy cord. Did you set Expo as well? Are you gonna go back to flying it?

Why not fly the Formosa II a little first? I am building one now at Wolfe's recommendation (hoping to start today). The good thing about this Plane is that:
- The kit is cheap (~$60).
- Most LHS carry it or can order it (so no outrages shipping from NP).
- It is foam!
- It is a famous/classic aerobatic trainer. Almost everyone I talk to either have one, or had one.
- You will be able to reuse all the components you have from the Cessna.
- It will help both of us improve our skills and satisfy our need to push hard.
- It will compliment the Cessna. Just having/flying a single plane is not sensible as downtime = no flying.
- it has an active community on RCgroups much like or even more than the Cessna...

I couldn't take the fixed-up SkyTrainer out today. it has been raining on and off since the AM (and suppose to stay like that all weekend). I am sure Wolfe and Batricky are affected as well...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
MooseHead13
United States, IL, Darien
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
So what do I charge my lipos to? I have the 2200mAh 25c Been charging on my little wall charger that I got with the RTF. Just got a HK ECO six just trying to make heads or tails of it. Any input would be great
MooseHead13 is offline Find More Posts by MooseHead13
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,612 Posts
What do you mean by "what do I charge my lipos to?"
Do you mean at what Amp/C rate?

Which batteries are you using and what C are they rated for?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:41 PM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
The factory charger will stop charging at 4.20 per cell for a total charge of 12.6 max charge. When I use the factory charger on my batteries it takes like 3 to 4 hours to charge, and it will charge each cell to a min of 4.18 charge of 12.5. some times I get charges that read 4.18, 4.19, 4.19. What I do when it does this is unplug the battery from the charger and plug it back in, it normally shuts off at 4.2 after that.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:55 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,612 Posts
Wow, how do you get to charge all your batteries like that? You must be charging them the night before? Its not healthy for lipos to be kept at peek charge for an extended amount of time. The less the better. It weakens them and you will notice a drop in the charge that they will hold over time. I put mine in storage mode, and charge them at a highest C they are rated for right before I use them. I strongly suggest upgrading the stock charger even for a $40-$50 model with an LCD screen:
- It shows you exactly what you are putting in.
- It will have a storage mode to charge the battery to an optimal ~3.8V (50%)
- It will tell you why it stopped charging (complete vs. battery prob)
- It will show the state of the cells as they are being charged.
-You can program charge/discharge cycles
- etc'

I am assuming his question is in relation to the new charger that he got (where he can charge faster than 1C). The new charger will determine automatically the target voltage anyway so you shouldn't have to play with that.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Apr 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:11 AM
b.b.4
United States, IL, Hoopeston
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
Also sorry about ur EDGE, SM.... Your bad luck and bad weather here in ILL. is keeping my Cessna grounded for now.
WOLFE,,, I have the rates set as u recommended, but with no one in my little town to buddy with, I will wait for perfect weather....
The wind flipped my CUB to the ground today ,, trying to land. Should have stayed in AZ. a little longer, then I could have both..... Weather and a buddy
Happy flying to ALL..............B.B.4
b.b.4 is offline Find More Posts by b.b.4
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:20 AM
CRASH MONKEY
United States, UT, Leeds
Joined Oct 2011
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Wow, how do you get to charge all your batteries like that? You must be charging them the night before? Its not healthy for lipos to be kept at peek charge for an extended amount of time. The less the better. It weakens them and you will notice a drop in the charge that they will hold over time. I put mine in storage mode, and charge them at a highest C they are rated for right before I use them. I strongly suggest upgrading the stock charger even for a $40-$50 model with an LCD screen:
- It shows you exactly what you are putting in.
- It will have a storage mode to charge the battery to an optimal ~3.8V (50%)
- It will tell you why it stopped charging (complete vs. battery prob)
- It will show the state of the cells as they are being charged.
-You can program charge/discharge cycles
- etc'

I am assuming his question is in relation to the new charger that he got (where he can charge faster than 1C). The new charger will determine automatically the target voltage anyway so you shouldn't have to play with that.
I have the IMAX B6 as well.
stoopidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by stoopidmonkey
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHead13 View Post
So what do I charge my lipos to? I have the 2200mAh 25c Been charging on my little wall charger that I got with the RTF. Just got a HK ECO six just trying to make heads or tails of it. Any input would be great
I got a Dynam charger from Hobbypartz. $40 and it's a great purchase.... http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-10...rger-blue.html

Now I feel a little more professional....except my Cessna is grounded til I figure out what's wrong the running gear and it warms up and stops being so windy
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopidmonkey View Post
I have the IMAX B6 as well.
ok, that makes sense. So do you use its storage mode? If not, then I would recommend it. Put the other one on eBay. It is a quick $15. I can't see any reason to keep it around...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
except my Cessna is grounded til I figure out what's wrong the running gear
What do you mean?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:30 PM
MooseHead13
United States, IL, Darien
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
I would like to thank everybody for all the good advice it was very helpful and much appreciated
MooseHead13 is offline Find More Posts by MooseHead13
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I think the ESC is on it's way to RC heaven....get all sorts of whining noises coming from it...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,612 Posts
I just had a post-crash maiden flight. I didn't expect to fly this weekend. It was windy and stormy all weekend long. All of a sudden a buddy calls me up at 6PM to tell me that at 7PM (45mins before sundown) the wind is supposed to die down a little so I should be charging my batteries. I was pretty skeptical and mostly just scared. I told him lets see and that I will probably skip. The plane has a new paint scheme on it and since I replaced all the foam hinges with nylon/CA hinges I had to reset all the trim. I really didn't feel like having a post-crash maiden flight at 18mph winds.

I decided to go for it after all. I am not sure what the wind was like exactly. Three different weather services had different figures between 15 and 19mph. No idea what the gusts were. On take-off the Plane jerked from side to side like a seesaw but I was able to regain control. It was really scary and a very close call. I must not have been pointing directly at the wind.
Trimming was mostly a futile exercise. I was scared to do anything but circle around. I was also scared to land. I did a few practice approaches and the plane was jerking around so badly 10 to 20 ft off the ground and needed more aileron correction than I normally be comfortable at this height. Well, after 9 mins I decided to land and it went down perfectly. I was really trying to manage the the throttle appropriately (like you suggested) and it really helped having the Plane more powered.

On the second flight, I took off and at about 6 to 8 feet, the Plane rolled upside down over the right wing and straight down to the ground. A bent prop shaft was the only damage. The spare was at home so that was it for the day...
I am assuming again I was not perfectly against the wind unless it shifted on me.

It wasn't bad flying late like that, I may do it more often.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:33 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Man, you are nuts!
I had my 182 near the door all weekend but the winds in FL have been insane lately.
Yesterday, (Sun) I saw that it was dead calm, so I jumped in the shower, dressed and grabbed my tx & battery box. But by the time I was loading the truck to go fly, the wind had already arrived.
The Cessna is actually great in the wind, but I'm not taking chances with it anymore. I'll get some sim time in and wait for calmer days.

Vero Beach is abour 2 hours north of you, but I think the entire east coast of FL gets the same Atlantic coast winds.

They say May will be calmer!

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,612 Posts
Yes, I think we share the same whether patterns. Are you referring to around 8AM to 9 AM Sunday? If so, it was bizarre how calm it got and then all of a sudden it completely picked up again (much like you by the time I finished contemplating).

I agree about April. A friend looked at weather patterns for the last 10 years and concluded that March/April are the windiest months of the year and that soon it will get much calmer (albeit hot and humid as you can expect from a FL summer... )
RCG Plus Member